Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who should be the 2007 TT Disappointment of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2007 TT Disappointment Of The Year

*Please note this is a poll for TT players only - votes from non TT players will not count*

This poll is to determine who was the biggest TT disappoitment in 2007?

The poll can only have 10 options, so we (keqtqiadv, Labamba and I) had to nominate nine players for this award. If your pick is not included, please vote for the [Other] option and tell us why you believe this player should win.

Here are the nominees in alphabetical order:

alansk
The 2006 Tennis Masters Cup champion ended last year at #2, but has slumped to 29 in the world after a disappointing season. With his mind clearly affected by an upcoming new arrival in his family, his level of focus on TT was highlighted when he simply forgot to enter the Cincinnati TMS. Fans of the former world #1 are worried that they may not be seeing too much of their British hero in 2008.

Alekutza
Although she has never been much of a force in singles, Alekutza ended last year inside the top 10 in the doubles ranking. Having seemingly struck up a formidable partnership with her close friend Deea, 'The Spice Girls' were expected to dominate the doubles circuit in 2007. This has never even come close to materialising, as Alekutza has crashed outside the top 75 and now struggles even to gain direct entry into many events, and even when she does, often fails to turn up. With modelling contracts piling in after her efforts in the Miss MTF contest, as well as her preparations for the arrival of a huge star in Bucharest early in 2008 thought to have taken her eye off of the ball, many observers feel she could still be a force to be reckoned with next year if she gets her priorities right.

Bolar Bolabi
Having sprinted out the blocks early in the year to reach the top 20, Bolar was poised to finally back up his boastful statements about his ability. Hopes were crushed when he performed miserably at the Australian Open, being booed off by his own fans before becoming embroiled in a feud with compatriot its.like.that which was to last many months. With the huge success of his Bolar merchandise, Bolabi is not short of cash and has already cut down his Tennis Tipping schedule. One wonders whether we have already seen the best of the controversial Aussie, who currently stands at 75 in the rankings and threatens to disappear into oblivion when his points come off early next year.

Bubba08
The Frenchman has endured a torrid year in singles and doubles, dropping outside the top 30 in both rankings. The man who holds the record for the most weeks at #1 in doubles has clearly been affected by the retirement of his partner silverwhite, and has fallen to an almost unthinkable 53 in the rankings. With fans beginning to question how much of a role Bubba actually played in the huge success of the duo, and the Singaporean showing no intention of returning to TT, Bubba will need to find a quality new partner and start off 2008 in good form before the downward spiral becomes out of control.

GustavoM_Fan
The Argentine with more self-confidence than even Muhammad Ali has failed to live up to expectations this year. He ended 2006 ranked the 5th best player in the world, and had hopes of claiming the #1 spot he felt he deserved, but has had a nightmare year and nosedived 53 places in the rankings to #58. However, people voting on this poll should remember that he has been extremely unlucky in all the 35 matches he has lost this year. Also, despite some poor losses, GustavoM_Fan has managed to entertain fans throughout the world with his "quality TT", suggesting if everyone played "cagon TT" the interest in the game would suffer.

JMG
Another former #1 who seems to have been overwhelmed by the new breed of TT stars in 2007, JMG is in a rut similar to his namesake. Having achieved his dream when David Hasselhoff attended one of his matches, the German has struggled to come back down to earth, producing a string of average performances. Many believe the poor form can be put down to 'karimvlasicgate', as JMG was a close friend of his compatriot and the revelation seems to have rocked his world.

Mara_M
Quite possibly the most drastic fall in TT history, as the Romanian who was inside the top 20 at times in 2006 suffered a meteoric drop and ends this year at #144. With close friend scythe19pro, boyfriend Aleksz, and father scarecrows all still going strong, experts are at a loss to explain her results. However, with her daddy retiring from TT and expected to become her coach, 2008 may well see the resurgence of Mara.

rob88hock
The self-proclaimed 2006 Newcomer Of The Year began 2007 with a point to prove, and looked in fine shape when he romped to the Zagreb final which sent him soaring into the top 30 in the rankings. However, a poor run of form followed and he hasn't been seen since the US Open, even failing to defend his Paris TMS title. Rumours that he has been been diagnosed with depression after failing to recover from the devastation at not receiving the NOTY award last year have so far been unconfirmed.

Team Finland
The 2006 Davis Cup champions failed to record a win in 2007, ending the year with a 0-2 record after being thumped 4-1 by both Portugal and Belarus to send them spinning out the world group. The TT Finland association now have a lot of head scratching to do, with very few young Finnish prospects seemingly coming through. Although the defeat to Portugal was acceptable, the loss against a patched-up Belarus with only 1 member of the team having any sort of connection to the country was simply shocking and has left captain Labamba fighting to save his job. Tabloids have been hugely critical of the side, one suggesting they were 'Finnished' as a force.

Other
Here are a few players who we felt were close but unfortunately could not include in the poll:
1) Cipa aka Enjoy Incubus
2) Gavnich77

Code:
[B][U]Previous Winner(s)[/U]
2006 - None[/B]

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
Re: Tennis Tipping Awards 2007: Disappointment of the Year

Rob. Let him win a title this year :awww:

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

:lol:

rob88hock

·
Registered
10,256 Posts

Other - Nadie for her doubles performance :rolleyes: :tape: :lol:

·
Registered
55,432 Posts

shall i be honored :lol:? i think i will vote for Rob :p

Btw Adam,when have i been in top 20 in singles :haha:? i think i finished 60 smthing last year :p

·
Registered
55,432 Posts

Miru :hug: but I should be there as well :tape:
:hug: but you are mentioned :lol: :hug: but u're still my best manager :rocker2:

·
Registered
55,432 Posts

Alee you voted for me :hug: :hug: want my vote :D?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts

My daughter Holly was born at 7:10 this morn, so I come home for some rest and this is the thanks I get!?!?! :lol: :p

See you all in 2008 ;)

alansk
The 2006 Tennis Masters Cup champion ended last year at #2, but has slumped to 29 in the world after a disappointing season. With his mind clearly affected by an upcoming new arrival in his family, his level of focus on TT was highlighted when he simply forgot to enter the Cincinnati TMS. Fans of the former world #1 are worried that they may not be seeing too much of their British hero in 2008.

·
Registered
32,550 Posts

tough choice between Felipe and Rob, both were supposed to be in the Player of the Year poll this year :awww:

·
Registered
26,101 Posts

Mara's drastic fall was expected and therefore not really a disappointment. The best options here are JMG, GustavoM_Fan and Bolar Bolabi.

My vote goes to Felipe, as he didn't win anything this year.

·
Registered
55,432 Posts

Mara's drastic fall was expected and therefore not really a disappointment. The best options here are JMG, GustavoM_Fan and Bolar Bolabi.

My vote goes to Felipe, as he didn't win anything this year.
:ras: and i was already choosing my dress for the awards night :ras:

·
Registered
55,432 Posts

My daughter Holly was born at 7:10 this morn, so I come home for some rest and this is the thanks I get!?!?! :lol: :p

See you all in 2008 ;)
check your reps :lol: :hug:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

See you all in 2008 ;)
Great, congrats to you and to the mamy as well :)

·
Registered
18,619 Posts

the TB Rule

·
Registered
55,432 Posts

this is the most circulated thread so far :haha: u're so infected with the ACC that u prefere the negative awards :p

1 - 20 of 66 Posts