Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8. Laver

7. Connors

6. Court

5. Borg

That leaves Sampras, Graf, Evert and Navratilova. I have to :scratch: my head at placing Sampras over Laver since he never won the French. Here's how I think the top 4 will shake out:

4. Evert
3. Graff
2. Sampras
1. Navratilova
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
i think graf deserves to be higher than sampras (ducks to avoid any thrown debris)

22 slams winning all four at least 5 times i think
and oh, the only one to acieve the golden slam by winning the olypics along with the 4 in 1 year.

sampras can't conquer the slow courts, graf can conquer anywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,115 Posts
Do you have the rest of the list handy? :)

thanks
 

·
F***ing have it
Joined
·
17,570 Posts
4. Evert
3. Sampras
2. Graf
1. Navy
 

·
F***ing have it
Joined
·
17,570 Posts
MisterQ said:
Do you have the rest of the list handy? :)

thanks
:hug:
40. Sabatini
39. Rafter
38. Wade
37. Kuerten
36. Capriati
35. Stan Smith
34. Hewitt
33. Hana Mandikova
32. Tracy Austin
31. Henin-Hardenne
30. Ashe
29. Davenport
28. Nastase
27. Sancehz-Vicario
26. Courier
25. Venus Williams
24. Vilas
23. Evonne Goolagong
22. Hingis
21. Roy Emerson
20. Ken Rosewall
19. JesusFed
18. Boris Becker
17. Serena Williams
16. John Newcombe
15. Wilander
14. Edberg
13. Seles
12. Agassi
11. McEnroe
10. Lendl
9. Billie Jean King
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
mirkaland said:
8. Laver

7. Connors

6. Court

5. Borg

That leaves Sampras, Graf, Evert and Navratilova. I have to :scratch: my head at placing Sampras over Laver since he never won the French. Here's how I think the top 4 will shake out:

4. Evert
3. Graff
2. Sampras
1. Navratilova
I never saw Laver play, but in his day I don't think there was the depth of field that there would have been in Sampras day. Just because Laver won on all surfaces doesn't make him better than Sampras. Maybe Sampras would have won a French Open in that time too against that shallow field. The field gets deeper as the prize money grows and also the racket technology allows a greater number of people to be able to hit better.

I think in Laver's day with the wooden rackets there were far less number of guys able to compete against the top level. Also in Lavers time there were only two surfaces: Clay and Grass. So Laver didn't have to switch to as many varieties of surface that Sampras did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
alfonsojose said:
Actually JesusFed should be much higher ranked than 19. How can they say Serena Williams is better with her one demensional style? What would make Wilander or Edberg better than JesusFed?

I am not sure what their criteria was. Statistical ratings puts JesusFed as the #2 all time best player considering win/loss record against top opponents in peak years. If you look at the rest of the list is seems pretty mixed up. What makes Sanchez-Vicario better than Hewitt talent wise?
 

·
F***ing have it
Joined
·
17,570 Posts
Interesting Sabatini over Marat, Yevgeny and Bruguera, even Conchita. All the guys have two slams, and Yevgeny has great doubles results :(
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's only three active players in the top 20 on this list

Roger :worship:

Andre :worship:

Serena :tape:
 

·
F***ing have it
Joined
·
17,570 Posts
PamV said:
Actually JesusFed should be much higher ranked than 19. How can they say Serena Williams is better with her one demensional style? What would make Wilander or Edberg better than JesusFed?

I am not sure what their criteria was. Statistical ratings puts JesusFed as the #2 all time best player considering win/loss record against top opponents in peak years. If you look at the rest of the list is seems pretty mixed up. What makes Sanchez-Vicario better than Hewitt talent wise?
I think number of GS, weeks at no. 1 and doubles performance
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PamV said:
Actually JesusFed should be much higher ranked than 19. How can they say Serena Williams is better with her one demensional style? What would make Wilander or Edberg better than JesusFed?

I am not sure what their criteria was. Statistical ratings puts JesusFed as the #2 all time best player considering win/loss record against top opponents in peak years. If you look at the rest of the list is seems pretty mixed up. What makes Sanchez-Vicario better than Hewitt talent wise?
In the magazine they said Roger was ranked only 19 because he's in the prime of his career and not finished yet. Of course this list may have been completed prior to his Wimbledon/USO wins this year. I'm not sure when it was finalized.

Poor Andy and Marat. Lleyton makes the list but neither of them do. :sad: Although Lleyton was #1 for two years in a row so....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
This list is a joke, purely done on grand slam success.
Hingis and Seles were much better players than Navratilova or Graf.

Sampras over McEnroe?
 

·
F***ing have it
Joined
·
17,570 Posts
What's wrong with Serena :shrug: ? She's a big babe and hits hard, but she's good.
 

·
Miss Thang
Joined
·
36,083 Posts
disturb3d said:
This list is a joke, purely done on grand slam success.
Hingis and Seles were much better players than Navratilova or Graf.

Sampras over McEnroe?
Excuse me? Graf and Navratilova won all four majors, and in Graf's case she won the Olympic gold medal in singles the same year she completed the Grand Slam (1988, for those of you too young to remember). By contrast, Hingis never won the French, and Seles never won Wimbledon. So...yes, Graf and Navratilova deserve to be ranked ahead of those two just by those results alone.
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PamV said:
I am not sure what their criteria was. Statistical ratings puts JesusFed as the #2 all time best player considering win/loss record against top opponents in peak years. If you look at the rest of the list is seems pretty mixed up. What makes Sanchez-Vicario better than Hewitt talent wise?
How are you coming up with top opponents? I know Andy and Lleyton are top 5, but Roger owns both of them right now, there is no rivalry there. Even Andre, Roger's beaten him 8 times in a row now. I mean at what point does beating Andy and/or Lleyton become not a big deal because he's done it so many times? They may be top opponents compared to everyone else on the tour, but as far as Roger's concerned they're just his little bitches right now...
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sigmagirl91 said:
Excuse me? Graf and Navratilova won all four majors, and in Graf's case she won the Olympic gold medal in singles the same year she completed the Grand Slam (1988, for those of you too young to remember). By contrast, Hingis never won the French, and Seles never won Wimbledon. So...yes, Graf and Navratilova deserve to be ranked ahead of those two just by those results alone.
How many slams did Graff win, like 22 or something? I'm sure she won't be placed above Sampras, but she should be. But how does Evert make top 4 over Laver and Borg (besides her connection with the magazine)?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
sigmagirl91 said:
Excuse me? Graf and Navratilova won all four majors, and in Graf's case she won the Olympic gold medal in singles the same year she completed the Grand Slam (1988, for those of you too young to remember). By contrast, Hingis never won the French, and Seles never won Wimbledon. So...yes, Graf and Navratilova deserve to be ranked ahead of those two just by those results alone.
B-B-But, Andre is 10 places behind Pete.
Yet Pete has never won a gold medal or the french or made 4 GS finals in a row :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,460 Posts
Seles at #13 :eek:, thought she would have been higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
Rafter on the list and Kafelnikov not. Need I bother to examine and discuss it any further? I think not.
 
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Top