Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
It is if youre trying to make it big. There is no way you can make it in tennis without coaching.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
If there’s already a basketball court how much does it cost for 10 kids to play basketball? The cost of basketball (~$30) and 1 hour. If there’s already a tennis court how much does it cost for 10 kids to play tennis? One strung racket per kid (~$100x10?) can of balls per 2 kids ($5x5?), 1 hour per pair of kids. $1,025 + 5hrs vs $30 + 1hr. Even recreational tennis is much resource-intensiver on a community than team sports like basketball or soccer

·
Registered
251 Posts
atleast that's the case here in India...i am maybe richer than 95% of my countrymen, but still tennis is expensive for me as there are almost no public courts here...you have to pay exorbitant charges to use the court...

·
Registered
246 Posts
The best of the best athletes here wouldn't even dream of pursuing tennis. Basketball, baseball, NFL, etc- the $$ they can make with big contracts and endorsements, tennis is total chump change. That's why we haven't had a GS champion in almost 20 years. A lot of the pros from here literally have 0 money. The idea of going into debt or needing to hustle for sponsors, then likely not reaching the top level anyway- not worth it.

Look at Donald Young. Talented junior player, supposed to be the next big thing. He's doing cameos and playing World Team Tennis. Lucky for him he came from a financially stable home- if he had come out of Compton, for example, he could be in a seriously dire financial hole.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
It's not like every kid that touches basketball or football is going to be signed up by an NBA or NFL franchise, and it's not like there are no failure stories of kids taking up those sports.

A couple of years ago, a tennis player was the highest earning sportsman in the world. Right now, Serena and Osaka are two of the top earning sportswomen. No excuses for America for not producing Samprases, Agassis, Connorses, McEnroes.......

Anyway, guys coming out of Compton must become a pastor preaching religion and doing conversions, or a doctor bandaging gun wounds, or a dentist fixing broken teeth. A lot of business in the hood in those professions. Why would those folks from Compton want to become a sportsman, of all, is beyond me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wealthy people can be extraordinary athletes too. Tennis appeals to a all people but it takes money to develop optimally. But the athleticism of poor people and rich people is basically the same. The all black high school football teams in my state actually get crushed by the all white wealthy suburb upper class HS in my region. Every year too.

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
11,328 Posts
Not really, if they could have some sort of food business at a popular mountain resort that's middle class at the very least; considering that around the same time most people in Serbia were struggling with basic stuff you could even say upper middle class. And still they had to go into debt big time.
Well food business means nothing. You can earn money from it or not. Plus it was not poshy restaurant but pancake and pizzas.
Upper middle class are people that do not have to work on a a daily basis to have money.
If it is true Djokovics had to be at the very same time ski instructor mornings and afternoon and pancake and pizza sellers lunches and dinners.... then they were lower middle class... You do not pile two jobs if you have enough money leaving your 3 kids alone.

·
Premium Member
22,286 Posts
Well food business means nothing. You can earn money from it or not. Plus it was not poshy restaurant but pancake and pizzas.
Upper middle class are people that do not have to work on a a daily basis to have money.
If it is true Djokovics had to be at the very same time ski instructor mornings and afternoon and pancake and pizza sellers lunches and dinners.... then they were lower middle class... You do not pile two jobs if you have enough money leaving your 3 kids alone.
Maybe not in France, in 90's Serbia having a pizza place at Kopaonik is definitely way above an average person struggling with under 100 Deutschmarks a month

·
Registered
86 Posts
Obviously it's a rich persons sport. The parents have to start the kid off young and actually pay money for lessons from a coach. Imagine the muscle memory that comes with practicing shots with correct form for that many years.

The reason so many eastern Euro players that aren't from rich families make it is because the family sacrifices everything for the child to have the opportunity. Look at Novak. They couldn't afford to give his younger brothers an equal chance at the sport. But they did significantly more than 99.9% of families in their situation would do. If Novak had failed they would be destroyed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The town I grew up in is middle/lower middle class but there’s also a poor section of town. Our public high school tennis courts are normally pretty empty. Some kids play but they are usually the middle/upper middle class kids. The courts in the next town over with all of the wealthy families are always full. I would agree that tennis tends to be a rich person’s sport, although less so than golf.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Has anybody ever come across this arguemnt across social media when you compare Tennis Players/Greats with sports standings and accomplishments?

1) This sport is for Rich folks only
2) Real Athletes are more prone to choose Soccer, Rugby etc as their choice of sport. Hence Tennis doesn't have the same talent pool.

How do you counter these arguements?
Counter arguments
1) Being rIch is a thing, but no more than ever. In fact it used to be much much more important in the past. Before the 00s.
2) Being a real athlete Is the real deal now (post 10s). A genetic or natural factor that can't be bought with money or trained by the best coaches in tennis money can buy.

It's no coincidence, half the top players are east European or have some connection with it. The New Order is unreachable tall and athletic , super athletes. It's here to stay. Numbers with these characteristics will go on rising. You reunite this , money is going to get to you somehow like marathon runners from Ethiopia and some of those countries.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
If tennis is a rich man's sport, then what is car racing lol

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
An average working man does not go into car racing (at least not professionally). Same as with most other sports you should start very early, 7-8 years old, start with karting/kart racing and work your way up.
True but I'm referring to the affordability aspect of practicing in a fast car. How is that not expensive?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts