Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever come across this arguemnt across social media when you compare Tennis Players/Greats with sports standings and accomplishments?

1) This sport is for Rich folks only
2) Real Athletes are more prone to choose Soccer, Rugby etc as their choice of sport. Hence Tennis doesn't have the same talent pool.

How do you counter these arguements?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Heck, no. As a kid when I was not earning, I felt buying/replacing shuttles to play Badminton was the most expensive. Tennis balls lasted me several days, while shuttles lasted only a few minutes, and they were costly to me. When I didn't have money, I could live with old tennis balls, but that was not the case with worn out shuttles.

P.S. I played many sports while growing up; soccer, basketball, volleyball, ping pong, tennis, badminton, to name a few.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heck, no. As a kid when I was not earning, I felt buying/replacing shuttles to play Badminton was the most expensive. Tennis balls lasted me several days, while shuttles lasted only a few minutes, and they were costly to me. When I didn't have money, I could live with old tennis balls, but that was not the case with worn out shuttles.

P.S. I played many sports while growing up; soccer, basketball, volleyball, ping pong, tennis, badminton, to name a few.
Tennis need a proper court to play.

Badminton u can simply create a makeshift net and can play anywhere. Streets, Garages, playground, beaches etc.

Tennis require the special enclosure to work. Shuttles are very cheap were I reside.

·
GOAT Predictor
4,266 Posts
Has anybody ever come across this arguemnt across social media when you compare Tennis Players/Greats with sports standings and accomplishments?

2) Real Athletes are more prone to choose Soccer, Rugby etc as their choice of sport. Hence Tennis doesn't have the same talent pool.

May be YES!!!
As Zverev, Tsitsipas, Rublev, Medvedev, Shapovalov, Kachanov are from very rich families.

·
Registered
772 Posts
For casual players it's fine. Once you have a racket and a membership at your local club all you need is new balls every so often. Maybe get weekly group coaching at some point in your life.

But to be real good you typically need a fair bit of money. Individual coaching sessions multiple times a week. Several racquets, restringing and regripping, lots of new tennis balls, other accessories. Probably a fair bit of travel.

·
Registered
578 Posts
In Brazil is for sure a rich people sport
In my city of 400,000 people there must be about 75 tennis courts, being 25 clay courts in the clubs for rich people, others 49 hard courts in gated communities (walled and monitorated place where the rich lives), and ONE public hard court, with little space behind the baselines, and the net not in the right height.

95% of the poor people that I know who plays the sport, worked as ballboys for the rich people in the clubs when they were kids

Beyond that, a good racquet here is a luxurious object

·
Registered
48 Posts

I don't counter those arguments, i would say these are rather facts.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
While this is true, the comparison to football is getting more and more dodgy. Setting up a child with a proper coach and getting them to practices and games is not cheap.

Tennis was and is still expensive but sport in general feels a lot less accessible for the kids of today. Therefore, I'd argue tennis is a more a rich nations sport or ones who actually invest in it and have loads of players playing at all levels. The best tennis players are coming from Europe for a reason nowadays and this is no coincidence.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Tennis need a proper court to play.

Badminton u can simply create a makeshift net and can play anywhere. Streets, Garages, playground, beaches etc.

Tennis require the special enclosure to work. Shuttles are very cheap were I reside.

When I play a sport, I take it seriously, or not play it at all. I played Badminton on indoor wooden courts. I can't and won't play it outdoors with the air/wind. Did you ever see professional badminton tournaments outdoors?

Reactions: ivanban

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's definitely a rich people sport if we are talking about "making it" and having a chance to become pro. More so if you are in a poor country where the federation/authorities can't not help you much if anything. In richer countries you can still make it without your family having to be rich if you show great potential very early and land some academy sponsorships.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

When I play a sport, I take it seriously, or not play it at all. I played Badminton on indoor wooden courts. I can't and won't play it outdoors with the air/wind. Did you ever see professional badminton tournaments outdoors?
I was talking more in the sense of "Accessibility"

Get the kids to play/test the game around. See if they generate Interest. More people getting interested = more people opting for that particular sport = more talent pool absorbed.

Tennis obviously cannot be played on the Street or playgrounds.

·
GOAT Predictor
4,266 Posts

I played in badminton and ofter beat my father. I very good play in it (outdoor). It's ONLY sport I played. Also I played in chess (were decent results - often I beat average opponents and one time I beat opponent who became very soon (in 2-3 months) high ranked).

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I was talking more in the sense of "Accessibility"

Get the kids to play/test the game around. See if they generate Interest. More people getting interested = more people opting for that particular sport = more talent pool absorbed.

Tennis obviously cannot be played on the Street or playgrounds.
Casual tennis in a hotel room? 👇

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
11,324 Posts

Wrong or at least wrong in most countries.

I can admit Tennis is expensive in some countries with a British tradition or a Colonial tradition where you should afford belonging to a club.

But in most Western and Eastern Europe there are many courts where you can play with little money.

Of course European Lower middle class can look rich from a developping country point of view, but do not forget housing and food are expensive here so European lower middle class has no tons of buying power more than you.

Djokovic himself is from a very lower middle class family.

Then I agree with you with one point, if you come from pleb (which is IMO under lower middle class) then it is difficult to imagine anything else than something surrounding you so Soccer and Reality Shows are obvious choices.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Wrong or at least wrong in most countries.

I can admit Tennis is expensive in some countries with a British tradition or a Colonial tradition where you should afford belonging to a club.

But in most Western and Eastern Europe there are many courts where you can play with little money.

Of course European Lower middle class can look rich from a developping country point of view, but do not forget housing and food are expensive here so European lower middle class has no tons of buying power more than you.

Then I agree with you with one point, if you come from pleb (which is IMO under lower middle class) then it is difficult to imagine anything else than something surrounding you so Soccer and Reality Shows are obvious choices.
Agree, depends on the country or where you live, I guess.

Where I live, go and play on the free tennis courts in a public park, buy a $5/$10 tennis racquet from a thrift store, and then all you need are tennis balls, which you may also find in a thrift store for a $1/$2, if you get lucky. That's a cheap way.

Or invest in good quality balls from a sports store, but tennis balls last a few days of hitting.

Tennis, not at all a rich man's sport. I'm sure many players who play futures and challengers played tennis on the free tennis courts available locally to them as toddlers.

Then when you talk about playing a sport professionally and hiring a professional coach, da da da, there it starts getting serious and every sport needs a decent amount of money. In this case, no sport is cheap.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
That's why I love it so much

• Haha
Reactions: acacacacademy

·
Premium Member
22,286 Posts
Not really, if they could have some sort of food business at a popular mountain resort that's middle class at the very least; considering that around the same time most people in Serbia were struggling with basic stuff you could even say upper middle class. And still they had to go into debt big time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts