Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hear a lot of people talk about tennis IQ on MTF. What does this mean?
Seriously, tennis is a very dumb sport. It is mainly about technics, conditioning, physic, strengh, mental toughness, reflexes, sensations, grint, experience, patience... I mean everything is obvious in the tennis game. You don't need to be Zidane to make a counterplay or a drop shot in a tennis court, you just feel it. You don't need to have a tennis IQ to play on the backhand of you opponent if it is his weak weapon. Being smart helps a lot to have a good career and to manage your effort during a game or a tournament, but this has nothing to do with tennis IQ.

EDIT: I'm a tennis fan first and foremost, and tennis is the only sport I practice.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts

You are playing football, right?

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
There is a great deal of tactics in tennis. Do you play?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I hear a lot of people talk about tennis IQ on MTF. What does this mean?
Seriously, tennis is a very dumb sport.
Why the f*** you watch or play tennis if it's so dumb?

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Yes I do. I agree with you, but to me it is more about logic (I maintain, tennis is obvious) and experience than tennis IQ.
I think IQ sounds a better fit because you actually think on your feet, so to say. You don't sit in your sofa pondering what to do for half an hour ;)

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Clay is the most TACTICAL surface in tennis, you dumbarse.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
If you only watch World Cup football, you will never see the mighty Scotland play.

I will send you my 'Best of Gary Caldwell' DVDs.
he might have seen them in 98 tbf, it was in France and all

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
This guy is a complete blonde air head.

The longer the rallies, the more shot selection becomes a factor, that's why you need a brain to play on clay, not only fitness, not only core strength and low center of gravity.

On quicker surfaces, you can get away with one ball bash tennis. I'd say clay and grass, you need a brain.

Djokovic and Murray both have the best shot selection in the game. Tactically they are superb, each in their own separate way.

The french players however have no repetitive patterns of successful play and this is because as children they wernt focusing on the basic, fundamentals of your forehands and backhands hardcore, they were just left there free to play and taught about dropshots, dinks, flicks, slices, dices, lobs, you name it.... that's why there's no french claycourters, or grinders out there. Michon is the only french grinder I can think of atm.

There's no suprise this guy is saying 'it's a simple game, you just put the ball over the net and make your opponent miss or ensure they don't get the ball. It's obvious.' lol

Sorry, it's not a simple game, it's probably one of the most 'technical' sports out there there is to learn, alongside Golf. You cannot ENJOY yourself playing tennis, unless you've had atleast a bit of coaching and fundamentals taught to you. This is because you just would never be able to have a rally with someone further than 3 shots if you were to run into your local park with a racquet in your hand and somebody else to hit with. lol

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Please don't ban the OP for his stupidity. I need some fun today. Life is good :).

"I don't watch tennis, but I play some and then I get confused about everything". :lol:

Try some curling or knitting or some 'grass' :cool:.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts