Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a double question here.

but what is the hype you bought into and it never panned out, meaning the hype never happened. Vs. the hype you bought into and it turned out true?

For example I'm sure there are some Djokovic fans who have been there since 2007 and knew he was the real deal.
Or maybe Pre 2004 Federer fans who knew him in his dyed blond hair days.

Or maybe you were a Gasquet fan 2006/2007 and were certain he was going to rival Rod Laver.

For me , I was a supporter of Hyeon Chung when he came around and was confident he was going to be the next best thing. But that one never panned out, as he has been a challenger player and has been riddled with injuries.

I was on the Del Potro hype train since 2009 and its been kind of 50/50. The hype and talent were / are real, but unfortunately he has been injured most of his career.

Hyped up Khachanov , and so far has not lived up to his potential , but he still has some years ahead of him to improve.

Currently supporting Sinner and hoping he can carry the tennis torch.

What about you?

·
9,510 Posts
Hewitt from him aged 17
Roddick from him aged 19
Murray from him aged 18
Zverev from.him aged 17

On bad side
Tiafoe from him aged 17
Coric from him aged 17
Harrison from him aged 18

I swear im not a paedophile

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I thought Raonic was going to be big at one point, (in tennis not height). I also thought that eventually Dimitrov would be a slam champion.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I thought Dimitrov would be more accomplished, especially after 2017. Kinda like Federer lol to where his 2017 was great and was good or at least passable in the beginning of 2018 then started sucking dick.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thought Medvedev was going to rival big 3 after he made the Flushing Meadows final.

Didn't eventuate.

Never thought Dominic Thiem would be as good as he turned out to be.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
-Djokovic since I saw him the first time against Coria in RG 2005. Obviously, I didn't expect 17 GS and 300+ weeks at #1, but I knew he was the real deal.

-del Potro, I can't even remember when I started following him, but he was playing challengers/futures. He was 15? 16? Granted he was hyped from an early age, Coria was talking about him when he was 14 I think.

-Wawrinka when he was already in his mid/late-20s and outside the TOP 15/20 I knew he had it in him and was underachieving massively, I thought he should be having a Berdych/Soderling/Tsonga type of career. A GS final, a M1000, consistently top 8 or so, etc. Boy, did he surpass that.

OTOS

-Gasquet, I think many of us were on this train. I saw him in Buenos Aires 2004 making SF as a 17-year-old, and then that great run beating Federer in a year he only lost to Nadal on clay, Nalbandian, and Safin. Then playing a great match against Nadal that same tournament. Was never the same post-2007. His forehand declined instead of improving and started playing 2M behind the baseline. In 2013/2015 he sort of had a mini resurgence but nothing impressive.

-Schwank, I thought he would be a great player in late 2008. Not a world-beater or anything like that, but maybe a career like Schwartzman is having (not just because they have a similar name and are from the same country) or Monaco, he had a much more interesting game than the latter at least. Injuries ruined him but he had solid runs in 2010 and 2012 before he started playing doubles.

-Ryan Harrison, I fell for the American hype, but I still believe he had talent.

-Tomic, saw him at the AO 2009 and thought he had a nice future, especially in 2011 when he started improving and was still very young. Then nothing.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Bought hype which paid off:
-Knew Fed would be an ATG after 2003. Granted he had won a slam at that point, but after he dominated the Masters Cup in Houston, expected him to become a dominant player, which he did in the following few years.
-Thought Djokovic would be a multiple slam winner in early 2007. Had a mean run at RG that year.
-Thiem starting when I saw him as a teenager in Indian Wells (think it was 2014).

Hype didn’t pay off:
-Dimitrov
-Berdych
-Gasquet

Reactions: IBM

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Djokovic developed at alarming pace during 2006. I remember watching all his matches at the '06 Hopman Cup, and he was a likeable but goofy youngster then, was shocked when he made a FO QF run a few months later. By the 2007 Australian summer you felt that he was gunning for top 5. The difference between him and Fedal (and others like Monfils, Murray, etc.) is that there wasn't expectant hype necessarily until he stormed the top 20, he wasn't a top-ranked junior and unless you followed Futures/Challengers then you heard less about him.

Federer was the 2000 Davis Cup encounter against Australia in Zurich just after the 2000 AO. I felt like I was slightly aware of him before then, but that was when I saw something, he was single-handedly a menace against a team that was coming off a Davis Cup title and headed for another final. Although the manner of his domination in 2004 was a surprise to those of us who hadn't grown up seeing that from #1s.

Nadal was instant, self-evident. As soon as you saw him between 2003 Wimby and 2004 AO, you knew. Once again, the swift scale of clay dominance was alarming, but rising to the top of the sport wasn't surprising.

Australia has had several in the last few decades, but Todd Reid was the biggest letdown.The hype was massive around him going back to a New York Times article in '97, but once on tour he quickly became injury-riddled, and sadly passed a few years ago.

Malisse is an example of a player that underperformed against my expectations. I think he was the highest-ranked Belgian male until Goffin recently, but I would have thought he could do far better than he did.

I think the several comebacks of players like Haas and Del Potro has had a way of glossing over their misfortunes. You might wonder what if, but seeing them roar back up the rankings time and again was a ride I wouldn't necessarily trade back. Has to be someone I guess, and they were the right types to manage it.

Reactions: Budadiii and Kowchi

·
3,402 Posts
Dimitrov weirdly works both ways for me. I of course thought he could win a couple slams but also feared he’d never win above a 500. So Cincy and ATP finals were surprising but short of the spark I saw in him back in 2013.

I knew from day one that Shappy and Stef were future top 10 at least.

I was wrong about many Americans, Tiafoe and Harrison especially. Also wrong about Kokk.

·
9,510 Posts
Dimitrov weirdly works both ways for me. I of course thought he could win a couple slams but also feared he’d never win above a 500. So Cincy and ATP finals were surprising but short of the spark I saw in him back in 2013.

I knew from day one that Shappy and Stef were future top 10 at least.

I was wrong about many Americans, Tiafoe and Harrison especially. Also wrong about Kokk.
Seems a lot of us were on board those Americans. In fairness Tiafoe is havin a ok carear...not what was hoped but still very good.

Harrison fooled me too but i dont know how we didnt see he is just a "lidl" version of Jack Sock.

Kokk is unfortunate...if only no injuries

·
Registered
247 Posts
Federer around 2002 :) when he started really dominating the tour I predicted 16 slam titles, didn't know he would win well above that but also didn't know other players would threaten his records :(

Raonic: January-Feb 2011. If you watched him play in this period no way you could predict he wouldn't win slams. Even Roddick was super impressed after Memphis final.

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the several comebacks of players like Haas and Del Potro has had a way of glossing over their misfortunes. You might wonder what if, but seeing them roar back up the rankings time and again was a ride I wouldn't necessarily trade back. Has to be someone I guess, and they were the right types to manage it.
Haas's comeback in 2013 was epic.

He deserved to be at ATP Finals that year.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Haas's comeback in 2013 was epic.

He deserved to be at ATP Finals that year.
even though it was a great come back I disagree about Atp finals, in 2013 the tour was very dense and strong, there was a big gap between a guy ranked 8 and another ranked 12.
Actually when I look back at 2013 I barely remember Haas except a win over Nole :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just checked Haas had around 2400 pts and Wawrinka who was 8 had 3700 pts lol
Not sure how anyone would think he was Atp finals worthy that year

·
Registered
254 Posts
I might write a bit more about some of the ones I got right, but the one that stands out for me as a negative one is Nalbandian 2007. When he won those year-end Masters beating everyone easily I thought he would continue crushing everyone in 2008. That didn't happen.

·
Premium Member
9,177 Posts
Federer around 2002 :) when he started really dominating the tour I predicted 16 slam titles, didn't know he would win well above that but also didn't know other players would threaten his records :(

Raonic: January-Feb 2011. If you watched him play in this period no way you could predict he wouldn't win slams. Even Roddick was super impressed after Memphis final.
Raonic was never the same after that hip injury sustained at Wimbledon against Muller in 2011 I think, he was never that good of a mover but he was consistently competing with most on the baseline and his coach at the time Galo was encouraging him to play from the baseline, went downhill after that, improved his net game but his serve and ability to stay on the baseline took a hit.

As for hype that never panned out would say Gulbis, was sure he would be competing for the biggest titles after defeating Federer twice, didn't happen so I gave up until I bought the hype again when he reached RG semifinal unfortunately injuries and bad decisions terminated all hopes, a shame since he was easily the most talented player by far out Murray and Djokopusher generation.

Seems like Chung is heading in the same direction but he still has time to turn it around if he can stay healthy.

As for the ones who turned out true Medvedev and Thiem.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I’ve been following Medvedev since he was outside the top 200 and always thought he could be a solid top 20 player. I did not expect the amount success he’s had nor how rapidly he would improve.

I bought into the Goffin hype when he got to the fourth round at RG as an LL and took a set from Federer, whatever year that was. That hype has probably worked out; I don’t think anyone truly expected much more than this from Goffin. Maybe a few bigger titles or bigger wins would be nice, but he’s certainly a top 10 player when he plays well and that’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I really thought Tiafoe would be an excellent player, easily the best American from his generation, but so far I’ve been wrong. I still think he has plenty of time and potential to perhaps become a top 10 player someday, but a lot will have to go his way. Doesn’t seem especially likely.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Gulbis is probably my most disappointing player of the last decade. I will never understand why he decided to change his forehand technique to that albatross windup. Not to mention he is a big flake mentally. But when everything was clicking like his booming serve, it was a joy to watch.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts