Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am in my final year at university, studying BA (Hons) Sports Management and I need to think of my dissertation topic. I would like to do something with tennis because it's my life. I am not sure what specific area to look at though, maybe the travel motivations of spectators at Grand Slam events? Or tourism impacts of hosting a grand slam events. Any ideas???

Also, when I have decided on a topic, how many of you would be willing to complete my questionnaire for my dissertation?

Thank you in advance.

Dave

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Hi all,

I am in my final year at university, studying BA (Hons) Sports Management and I need to think of my dissertation topic. I would like to do something with tennis because it's my life. I am not sure what specific area to look at though, maybe the travel motivations of spectators at Grand Slam events? Or tourism impacts of hosting a grand slam events. Any ideas???

Also, when I have decided on a topic, how many of you would be willing to complete my questionnaire for my dissertation?

Thank you in advance.

Dave
Draw rigging at the Grand Slams- get a stats major to help you:D

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

Dave
What are the gaps in the literature? You'll find loads of ideas once you do a load of reading. I'll happily fill in a questionnaire for you :D

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I know what might be good!

Examining Travel Motivations of Visitors Attending The Australian Open.

What do you think?

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Undergraduate disseration?? Really, interesting! When I considered doing an honors thesis for undergraduate I only had to present a paper for it,but it was too much work at the time, given that I had a dual major and dual minors. Even at the masters level we only had a Capstone project (essentially a large scale thesis paper).

Do they have you present to a universty committee and the Committee on research also scrutinizes it??

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
If you're going to be daring and try a dissertation on the subject of Tennis, might as well go the full blow and look directly at the sportsmen/women. The audience is all well and good, but there isn't as much substance there as there is with those that actually make tennis possible, and affect the worldwide popularity of the sport.

If you want to be a little risky, you could talk about what goes on behind the sport - the controversy, media, allegations (match fixing, drugs/substance abuse etc), or even the history of the sport and where it has brought it to the present day and onward to the future etc etc.

There's loads to talk about there, no need to keep it simple, take a chance. Just a suggestion.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, I'll certainly answer questionnaires or anything else you need assistance with.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Your paper can shed light on the Nadal phenomenon. He does better every alternate year. This needs some research.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your suggestions.

What do you think about something to do with the facilities at tournaments?

·
Registered
234 Posts
What about looking into British tennis and why despite bundles of cash it fails to deliver any players that are even capable of making the second week of a slam? haha.

Seems like you have your heart set on writing about facilities though....

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Seems like you might be one of them! when did you reach any county final?:wavey:
Don't mess with him. He plays peRfect Tennis. Granted in his pyjama's with a ball attached to a racket by string.

On the other hand, while I was relishing the numerous ideas running through my head of how to best lightly insult this gentleman/lady/nooblet, I realised their idea was actually pretty good. Rather than just British tennis it could be the relationship between different nations and the sport of tennis, including their respective media coverage, successes, failures, yada yada flubba dubba..

·
Registered
34 Posts

Tourism impact seems stronger imo but keep ruminating
I'll complete questionnaire if needed.
Go for it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts