Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Arrival on Victoria soil from 01/15 to 01/17.

Quarantined until 01/31 in hotel.

5 hours a day max outside the room with only 1 team member and the same sparring player the whole fornight.

Training on court, gym, recovery, physio outside room should happen during this 5 hours and all in Melbourne Park.

test on 1st 3rd 7th 10th 14th day of quarantine.

AO happens from 02/08 to 02/21 with possibly some Australian ATP Event the week before.

·
Registered
12,266 Posts

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
Maybe players will be given the option to take the vaccine and be free to do as they please, or to quarantine per those rules.. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
That is very strict and no possibility of any warm-up event for players outside Australia (quarantine ends 2 days before the main event).

I don't know if it's a "take it or leave it offer" but this doesn't look too well for me.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
That is very strict and no possibility of any warm-up event for players outside Australia (quarantine ends 2 days before the main event).

I don't know if it's a "take it or leave it offer" but this doesn't look too well for me.
Only for players playing quallies. It is not bad. Main draw starts 8th of February and you are out of quarantine 8 days before. It seems like a perfect planning. You can then choose if you want to play a tournament or skip it and focus on further preparation.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
On Australia’s (pop.25mil) diverse portfolio of vaccine agreements:

Pfizer - 10mil circa early ‘21, stage 3
AstraZeneca - 3.8m circa early ‘21, local monthly manufacture thru ‘21 (30m), stage 3
UniQ - 51m local manufacture mid ‘21, stage 1
Novavax - 40m during ‘21, stage 3

10 developing vaccines in clinical trial stages including Moderna thru COVAX Facility

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's is a lot of time, but they're trying their best not to have the situation that I'll be linking happening:
Two-week quarentine at home, followed by a two week supervised quarentine after military enrollment and by the time it ended, they were required to show negative tests before they were admitted on campus. Even then, there were covid clusters on campus. If you are unlucky enough, you symptoms might show up at about 28 days after the infection and you'd be infectious after even day 30 of being exposed. This are super rare cases, but it's just to show how even after 14 days, there aren't really ALL the guarantees, though it's more likely that person isn't infect if they ain't showing symptoms by then.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Oh look, another thread 😂

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No source listed above, but several are reporting the above. L'Equipe, TennisMajors
But it might all become moot very soon.

UK has approved the Covid Pfizer vaccine for use next week.

Well at least Australia shares the same Queen... :)

Reportedly,
masterclass
Do not know for UK TBH.

France vaccine plan is

1) People in Medicaled houses : elderly people and medical and helping staff (DEC JAN)
2) Medical people and helping staff in hospital (from FEB based on quantity of vaccine at disposal)
3) people above 75yo or above 50yo with risks.
4) From 2021 May or Jun, commercial vaccine available.
Tennis players will have to wait.....

And if not wrong Pfizer vaccine should be stored and displayed at -70°c which gonna cause many problems.

Then :

Pfizer vaccine is 95% efficient so even vaccinated you still have 5% chances to get COVID and contaminate others. (which sounds very high when you know how many chances a non vaccinated under 30yo person had chances to get ill and contaminating when contaminated)

So for a while IDK weither being vaccinated means you will not be quarantined if travelling.

Scientist have no clue on how long you are protected when vaccinated.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Pfizer vaccine is 95% efficiency so even vaccined you still have 5% chances to get COVID and contaminate others.
If a large fraction of the population is vaccinated and the efficiency is indeed 95% (that number is still based on a small number of cases, I think), then this would make it impossible for the virus to spread, because on average an infected person will not meet a sufficient number of susceptible people.

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If a large fraction of the population is vaccinated and the efficiency is indeed 95% (that number is still based on a small number of cases, I think), then this would make it impossible for the virus to spread, because on average an infected person will not meet a sufficient number of susceptible people.
You are right but we are speaking about AO in February 2021 when Melbourne people would not be massively vaccinated and the possibility for vaccinated players to go there without quarantine.

My answer is just to explain it is not possible.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I heard that With Pfizer vaccine you take 1 dose then 21 days later second dose and then 7 days later you have immunity so essentially one full month to be vaccinated properly and tennis players since they are under 50 won’t be in the top of the queue

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nah, phase 3 is quite an statically significant group. Moderna for instance had 30 thousand people and not a single one which took it had developed a severe case. Mind you, 30k accounting for vaccine group and placebo group. 11 people develop the disease from the vaccinated group and none of em had more than a light case. Also, those RNA vaccines are a revolutionary way and will definitely be receiving scientific awards in the future BUT are the hardest to implement as of now as you have to keep it refrigerated at -70º Celsius. Not all corona vaccines are RNA and so the others that aren't can be kept at -20º. Otoh, RNA vaccines represent kind of a shortcut in development, as they are much quicker to be developed. It doesn't take much too long after the virus DNA sequencing for it to be made. The problem is, even the US and China as of now don't have the infrastructure to roll out this vaccine for the whole country and it would probably be more available just on big rich cities because of refrigeration-transportation.
Investing in this infrastructure would lessen the escale of future pandemics though.

·
Your visions will happen
49,207 Posts
I read in the smh.au article that quarantine does not begin until the very last player arrives

So it is a one for all and all for one type of thing. One person fucks up we're all fucked. And the tours combined are 1000 people deep. So we'll see

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
I heard that With Pfizer vaccine you take 1 dose then 21 days later second dose and then 7 days later you have immunity so essentially one full month to be vaccinated properly and tennis players since they are under 50 won’t be in the top of the queue
Are you kidding? The top Pro athletes will be able to get whatever drugs they want once they are available. They always have.
Money talks.

Admittedly,
masterclass

1 - 20 of 64 Posts