Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a big time watcher of tennis but terrible, club level player at best.

I was wondering... Whenever I watch tennis the commentators talk about the practical advantages of using a two handed backhand (better power, steadier etc...). When they discuss the one handed backhand however it is usually in terms of how nice it looks.

So why would someone choose to use a one-hander? What are some of the advantages?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Can generate more pace with less effort. Usually allows for a better slice, and a better disguised slice. Better at handling low balls. Better for hitting "creative" shots; it is more free-flowing.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Can generate more pace with less effort. Usually allows for a better slice, and a better disguised slice. Better at handling low balls. Better for hitting "creative" shots; it is more free-flowing.
This + overall better disguise DTL/CC - Slice/Drop Shot

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
Just more natural. More reach also, and less chance of a wrist injury to the offhand.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,197 Posts
There was a thread about this not too long ago. You'll find all the answers there. The thread in itself might not be easy to find though. Use the search function and see if you can get it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
#1 - Easier to retrieve low bounces.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Bigger swing locus: more racquet-head speed = more potential power.

But it requires that you hit it further out in front, due to the 'stronger' grip; therefore you have to stand further behind the baseline (Gasquet) or half-volley a lot (Federer).

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
In my experience, it gives you a longer reach and you can do something meaningful with a difficult shot. Say for instance someone hits the ball up the line to your BH. If your opponent hasn't come to the net, you can slice it back (instead of throwing up a mangled lob or something) that'll be hard for your opponent to deal with. If you cut it just right, the bounce of your ball will be below the height of the net, making it harder for your opponent to hit an aggressive shot (if they even manage to hit it back)

·
10,279 Posts
It makes you look cool

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
this is a no.

There are 2 virtual advantages to the single hander - better reach and ability to generate more speed on the ball.

#2 is useless, coz it doesn't really matter if you hit it with 160kph or 170kph, it's in the net both times..ok or a winner.

Only reach and this reach is hardly a convertible asset, especially lately, since the two hander guys learned to play stretched with an open stance.

All these considering the fact that all players do slice and defend with one hand, regardless of how they hold the racquet in rally or attacking mode.

So yeah, it has a couple virtual advantages, which might benefit your game in 1 point per 3 matches.

The other advantages that are unprovable, but somehow having Federer around have stuck as a "fact" is that one would develop a better touch and slice, and volleys, etc.

But that's not true imo. Because Murray has among the best slices and Santoro was perhaps the most technical guy out these, while played double handed both FH and BH.

In fact this does look like that if we combine all one handers and two handers, but it's not such a useful skill to have and i'll tell you why - coz playing more of these shots (slices f.e.) is not by choice.
Where double handers can hit a positive shot back, stretched with an open stance, the single handers need to slice the ball back and that's not the better play.

Only one guy manages sometimes to play a one handed open stance BH in defense and he has the best one hand top spin BH in the world - Stan Wawrinka. And btw, he isn't the best technician out there at all.

So, if i had to chose - i'd take the double hander. It has one important advantage and it is at the return of serve.
The high top spin lift balls on the BH aren't as important of an advantage, it just gives you the possibility to play closer to the baseline (the one hander would need to take a step back, which isn't the biggest of problems, as many one handers have proven against Nadal).

But at the return, it's unmatchable. The stability of the racquet that the second hand gives you is a huge advantage. It's like the difference between playing with a 220gr racquet and a 350gr. It's incomparable.

I'm playing with one hand and i'm teaching my kid to play with two.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
better reach you don't have to have the other hand on the racket. Also better in disguising a drops shot as a deep slice.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Where is better reach coming from?

If you hold out your racquet as far from your body as you can, adding the second hand doesn't bring it closer to your body. You can reach just as far with two hands.

·
Registered
160 Posts
one handed is held with the hand on end of grip

with your two handed you grip towards the upper part of the racket + you dont hit the shot with straight arms unless you're nadal

its not much but a little bit of extra reach but as said before 2 handed is more compact / stable and returngames are the most important thing after your own service games

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
You'll have an advantage against Nadal.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Where is better reach coming from?

If you hold out your racquet as far from your body as you can, adding the second hand doesn't bring it closer to your body. You can reach just as far with two hands.
If you're standing parallel to the net, not facing the net(a position you would be sliding with) and reach 1 hand out as far as you can with a racket in hand. Then keeping that pose try without moving to reach the other hand to the racket. You can't. When sliding sideways in a defensive position you can reach furthur if you only have to have 1 hand on the racket

https://www.coachup.com/resources/tennis/tennis-coaching-tips-1-handed-vs-2-h

1 - 20 of 44 Posts