Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man! We were so close to a 3rd singles match!

Congrats to Team Europe for defending the title

I can't wait for next year's edition! Hopefully Del Potro and Nadal can play

I wonder where it will be

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I enjoyed this year's Laver Cup a lot even despite the tricky time zone. Team world was so close to taking it today, great stuff guys. Congrats to the winners and thanks to everyone who put their effort into it.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Interesting that Team World once again had their chances, if Isner had converted MP in his 2 matches they would have won two matches early, while Schwartzman and Anderson both lost extremely close matches too. On paper Team Europe is stronger, but the team format adds some variation to it and it creates some fun matches. It’s a nice positive atmosphere no matter if it’s an act or not, I look forward to future editions of the Laver Cup!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Zverev was a bit lucky to get this one, a couple of his shots sliding on the net ending in Andersons court, a replayed point when he was off the court and totally in defense, Federer´s on court couching and finally the laver unique 10 points TB to decide when he was 5-7 and should have lost otherwise.
I thought team europe would win much easier though, team world lacks the big stars to win this.

Congrats to team europe, good effort by all players from both teams

·
Registered
275 Posts
I suspect over time this thing will become more and more serious. I'm pretty sure Wimbledon was just some random tournament for the sons of wealthy people back in 1877. Look where it is today. If they expand the format and lengthen it, who knows what it can become. But for now it's still a fun event and I'm glad I get to see these guys play any chance I get.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The quality of tennis was quite high. But it will never be regarded anything other than a friendly. Even winning a 250 event would far surpass this. Im glad Novak didnt have to play again so he can rest for the Asian Swing and get back to serious business.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Really heartbreaking end for Kandy and team World not to be able to push it to a deciding match between Djoker & Kyrgios. Such a shame it had to end this way after Kandy had far too many chances in the 2nd set to give it away and then choke the 3rd being up 7-5. I mean Zverev had no rights to win that set but Kandy just terrible on BPs and Zverev was too clutch at the end. That overhead winner at 7-7 really summed up the difference between them and why Zverev is just a bit better.

The cool thing is that every single match today went the distance and could have really went either way, just a shame that 2/3 times it went to Europe and we didn't get to see a final singles match.

But at the end of the day the better & more superior team won as expected from the very beginning. Maybe had Delpo been playing he could have made a bigger difference and helped team World win, but it is what it is and hopefully next year team World's lineup will be much better!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The quality of tennis was quite high. But it will never be regarded anything other than a friendly. Even winning a 250 event would far surpass this. Im glad Novak didnt have to play again so he can rest for the Asian Swing and get back to serious business.
Your IQ must be of the charts, what an great comparison.

I bet Djokovic and Federer are crying in bed now, knowing they missed 250 Chengdu Open or the Shenzen Open...:crying::crying:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Didn’t see this coming have to admit. I enjoyed LC more last year but this was decent for sure. I enjoyed every match today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really don't think all of those 7-6 and 7-5 set scores just happened naturally. They don’t happen NEARLY as often between the players outside of the laver cup as they did this weekend. It all felt so Hollywood-esque.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I really don't think all of those 7-6 and 7-5 set scores just happened naturally. They don’t happen NEARLY as often between the players outside of the laver cup as they did this weekend. It all felt so Hollywood-esque.
Not really when you consider how fast the court is and the fact that Team World has two of the biggest servebots in the game right now. The close sets mostly involved Isner and Anderson, other matches barely had any 7-5 and 7-6 sets.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep, agreed. Rigged matches to make it close along with forced celebrations. Give me a break about them actually giving a shit about this, all the excessive celebration is because the tournament told them to do it. But, given the incredible paycheck they got for this I'd be jumping up and down too after every point.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts