Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make his win speciel & open a super-speciel thread for it.

Looks like we are heading in to an all big serving all young all american final.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish. That would be great if he finally gets more attention & praise.

Besides, we need a top serve & vollyer, if only for the variety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,359 Posts
Although if we're going to start talking about hype... I think it would be brilliant if Vahaly managed to sneak through and beat Roddick in this second semi, then do the same to Dent in the final; a true triumph of obscurity over hype. But I'm sure that he's going to get overwhelmed by Roddick's serve tonight, even though he's probably playing ten times better off the ground than Pandy at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
Wrong thread, Tennis Fool?

*EDIT*

I see you've fixed your post, making mine look silly ;)

As for where was Dent last week when he was need; Dent was warming the bench for all the live rubbers, while Pat put all his hopes in James Blake, and some guy who has never won a singles title before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,359 Posts
This dude was right there in Zagreb, but wisely chosen not to play live singles considering his inexperience compared to Blake and Fish. He lost to Ancic in the final dead rubber 12-10 in the third set breaker having had five matchpoints, so you can hardly say he didn't put in much of an appearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
I'm not sure that Mardy over Dent was really that much of a no brainer. Mardy had experience in doubles, but he hasn't really done more than Dent has in singles. Unless I'm overlooking something?

Dent isn't exactly all that reliable, but looking at how Mardy handled Wayne Ferreira, I'm not sure that he is either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
Of course in hindsight, it's easy for me to say that about Mardy. Going into the tie I suppose that it wasn't obvious he was going to lose his live rubber, or that his chances were any worse than Dents would have been. Surely with the way Ivan was apparently playing, it wouldn't have mattered.
 

·
psychotic banana
Joined
·
15,731 Posts
Sjengster said:
Although if we're going to start talking about hype... I think it would be brilliant if Vahaly managed to sneak through and beat Roddick in this second semi, then do the same to Dent in the final; a true triumph of obscurity over hype. But I'm sure that he's going to get overwhelmed by Roddick's serve tonight, even though he's probably playing ten times better off the ground than Pandy at the moment.
Vahaly's groundstrokes are ten times better than Roddick's? It wasn't all about each holding serve all the way through...it was Roddick who broke Vahaly's service game at 6-5 Roddick in the first set. Obviously Roddick didn't serve in that game and had to rely on the rest of his game. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,276 Posts
Yes, but if Vahaly had more of a serve, then breaking him wouldn't have been such a formality at that point in the set. Give him even a Greg Rusedski serve for a set or two, and tell me how many times Roddick breaks him ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,359 Posts
Yes, yes, obviously I was exaggerating a little - but having seen Vahaly play against Agassi at the AO, his backhand certainly knocks several shades off Roddick's. What I mean is, Roddick in a lot of matches is able to use the serve to keep holding on to his service games and then string together a few good return points at the right moments as he has done here... remarkably reminiscent of Sampras, in that respect.
 

·
psychotic banana
Joined
·
15,731 Posts
Rebecca said:
Yes, but if Vahaly had more of a serve, then breaking him wouldn't have been such a formality at that point in the set. Give him even a Greg Rusedski serve for a set or two, and tell me how many times Roddick breaks him ;)
I don't think Roddick would break him as often of course. ;) But since Vahaly's serve wasn't as strong...once Roddick was able to get a decent return back he was able to play a lil better on the ensuing groundstroke battle.

But yes, Roddick's serve has bailed him out at important moments...as I'm sure as Sampras' has as well. I just don't see why ppl crap on Roddick cuz his serve is such a crucial element of his game. Sampras' serve was a very main element to his game as well..and I don't see ppl criticizing him for it. The serve is one of the most important aspects of tennis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,359 Posts
You see, the important thing about Sampras is that even though his backhand in its own way was equally as poor as Roddick's, he still made it look better than it actually was - that looping single-hander floated weakly into the court, no matter how feeble, still appears better to the eye than Roddick's wristy, limp, double-handed backhands knocked into the middle of the net for no reason in an important rally.

And in that US Open match, Sampras also showed Roddick what a big forehand actually is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,460 Posts
well Roddick's in the finals, and he broke Vahaly 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he's gonna take the title. and if he does, he's gonna make his amazing winning record in finals even more amazing. he's already 5/7, and if he wins this, it'll be 6/8. too good:D. GO ANDY, TAKE IT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,771 Posts
so the finals might be....(*drumroll*)....

Denthead vs Dickhead...:eek: :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Roddick's serve is his big weapon, but espousing the opinion that Vahaly is "better off the ground" is ignorance. Roddick's forehand is about twice as powerful as Vahaly's.

I would love Vahaly to be #2 to Roddick's #1 but it just will never happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
1jackson2001 said:
I don't think Roddick would break him as often of course. ;) But since Vahaly's serve wasn't as strong...once Roddick was able to get a decent return back he was able to play a lil better on the ensuing groundstroke battle.

But yes, Roddick's serve has bailed him out at important moments...as I'm sure as Sampras' has as well. I just don't see why ppl crap on Roddick cuz his serve is such a crucial element of his game. Sampras' serve was a very main element to his game as well..and I don't see ppl criticizing him for it. The serve is one of the most important aspects of tennis.

I totally agree. The serve is so important. I don't know why players don't spend more time perfecting their serves.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top