Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started watching it at the tiebreak which Young won.

The second set was on serve but Young lost the set when he started focusing on the umpire. Although there weren't any announcers, I couldn't hear what he said that he got a point penalty on. Didn't affect the immediate game but it was clearly a factor why Young lost the set.

The third set was Young at his best from what I saw earning a double break, but at 5-2 he had a MTO. He lost that serve and had to serve it out a second time.

Well 2 of his 3 matches were indoor hard due to rain. He'll be back on clay tomorrow for the semifinals. The journey to get a favorable French Open matchup continues.

Bad thing is I won't get the Nishioka rematch I was looking for.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
he will win this challenger now

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
Young or his semifinal opponent will win the challenger. Especially with Nishioka gone and Ginepri going back to clay tomorrow
Ginepri is a decent player on clay :confused:

especially against McGee he will be fav

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ginepri is a decent player on clay :confused:

especially against McGee he will be fav
Still? I know he had good results in clay even pushing Djokovic in Paris, but that was 4 years ago. Age and his injuries have taken a toll on his game. On hardcourts he can still flash the game that nearly got him a Slam final, but on clay I doubt he would've won today.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His placement improved. Perhaps a bit more power too. He really bulked up on his upper body.
I don't know when he got to 6'0 160, but he's been there for years until this past offseason

He put on 15 pounds of muscle during that time. I can think of 2 matches off my head that it made all the difference this year.

The 2 Australian Open matches he won when Haase retired in that unforgiving heat, then outlasted Seppi the next round
The Houston match against Monaco on clay.

As for n8? I know he's unseeded and in the main draw, but if he can get his ranking up, it'll help put him in a favorable first round French Open match. That is my minimum expectation from Donald this year. If he wins his first main draw match, everything else is a bonus.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts