Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
wasnt really that surprising to me. given that federer wasnt in the best shape. also robredo was a good player and the US open was his 2nd best slam. it brought out the best in him.

the millman loss is, without question so much worse. the seppi loss could be considered worse too

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Well, Federer is certainly the much better player; however, Robredo was one of the best of the mid-00s, reaching a career-high of number 5 in the world.
and that at the US open he was just really comfortable. that he made 9 4th rounds and has just the 1 QF there is surprising to me

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
One of the best of the 2000s never to make a slam SF.
Clearly not a great player.
And he's not a rival of Federer.
He fits into the category of bunny, and if he takes a set off Federer its considered 'impressive'.
Robredo took 3 sets in their first 10 matches.
Nobody beats Tommy Robredo 11 times in a row except for Roddick.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
and that at the US open he was just really comfortable. that he made 9 4th rounds and has just the 1 QF there is surprising to me
Agree. Robredo was peaking. There was no shame for Federer to lose the match. As you say, the Millman and Seppi losses were much worse.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
2013 was Federer’s worst year since 2000. Only 1 title only 1 other final. He lost to way bigger mugs than Robredo. Like benneteau, brands, stakhovsky and Delbonis to name a few. Add to that his ongoing back issue low self esteem, missing clutchness and a well playing opponent and it’s not a huge surprise anymore...
side note: Also this year massively inflated his h2h with Nadal. They met 4 times in that year when Federer was in the biggest slump of his career while in 2015 (Nadal’s worst year, his only one without a big title since 2004) they only met once...
edit: I also think that Wimbledon loss was not only worse and more unexpected than robredo, it was the worst and most embarrassing loss in his career. As @Andrej once stated (where did he go btw? Haven’t read anything of him in months) it’s the equivalent of Nadal losing to berlocq or munoz de la nava in RG.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
One of the best of the 2000s never to make a slam SF.
Clearly not a great player.
And he's not a rival of Federer.
He fits into the category of bunny, and if he takes a set off Federer its considered 'impressive'.
Robredo took 3 sets in their first 10 matches.
If you become the 5th best player in the world at a sport at any time, you are a great player.

·
29,621 Posts
Actually do think it was a tank to avoid getting the crap beat out of him on the one big court he'd never lost to Nadal on.

Boredo is a mentally tough player but in terms of style he has less scope to hurt Federer than Ferrer (0-17) did. Fed unforced error count was ridiculous IIRC

21 - 27 of 27 Posts