Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were looking for that great QF. Federer needed to beat Tommy Robredo (LOL) and the in-form Nadal needed to beat Kohlschreiber.

But it wasnt meant to be as Tommy Robredo ate Roger Federer alive.

Where does this rank?

·
10,392 Posts
Pretty terrible. Arguably the worst Federer GS match.... maybe ever. Given it was epic on paper, but on of the most abysmal things to watch Backerer looking ready to give retirement speech right there...

·
Registered
725 Posts
It was a pretty crappy and injured version of Federer, so it's not as shocking as it normally would be.
That said, I do wonder if it was a semi-tank. I find it hard to believe that Federer would ever truly tank a match, but if he ever did, it would be that one.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Not that shocking really. Federer did not want to meet Rafa in the next round, to avoid getting a beating.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Robredo also beat Djokovic at Cincinnati the next year so it's not like he couldn't play on hard court but it was a shock indeed. I think Federer had already switched racquet for this one?

Is this really worse than the loss to Millman?

·
Registered
40 Posts
it was tank, no doubt in my mind about that, he was gonna play Rafa the next round, and get humiliated, he made the right call.

·
|
14,487 Posts
I remember on the eve of that match I was thinking "Rafa finally getting a chance to play Federer at the US Open is too good to be true, so is there any doubt Federer will withdraw with a freak injury?"
I never even considered the possibility of Robredo winning legitimately....

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
I wouldn't rank it highly. Roger Federer was having a hell of a year and didn't look at all motivated, while Tommy Robredo did.

The fact that Tommy Robredo had 7(!) US Open R16 appearances could make one look at it either way. It's definitely ironic that it was against Roger Federer with whom Tommy Robredo was to eventually break his duck against.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
IIRC Federer had tons of break points that he never took, Robredo was playing pretty well in 2013-2014 after his comeback and Federer had changed his racquet and looked dodgy so it wasn't insanely shocking, but still bizarre.

·
|
14,487 Posts
Federer @ 2013 US Open
Round 1 = 63 62 75
Round 2 = 63 62 61
Round 3 = 63 60 62
Round 4 = I'm a celebrity get me outta here!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
To be quite frank, I do not think it was too big of an upset. My reasoning is - excluding the French, which Federer rarely participates - the US Open has been Federer's weakest slam for over a decade. These losses are to be expected.

Also, Robredo was one of Federer's biggest rivals and reached a career-high ranking of number 5 in the world in 2006. He is no slouch.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I say the Millman defeat was much worse. That was the bigger upset. However, after how Millman played Federer close in Australia, and their 2015 match entered the final set, maybe it is a matchup issue for Federer.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well, Federer is certainly the much better player; however, Robredo was one of the best of the mid-00s, reaching a career-high of number 5 in the world.

·
|
14,487 Posts
Well, Federer is certainly the much better player; however, Robredo was one of the best of the mid-00s, reaching a career-high of number 5 in the world.
One of the best of the 2000s never to make a slam SF.
Clearly not a great player.
And he's not a rival of Federer.
He fits into the category of bunny, and if he takes a set off Federer its considered 'impressive'.
Robredo took 3 sets in their first 10 matches.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts