Mens Tennis Forums banner

Take a look back - what were the best matches in 2007 ?

2K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  That tennis kid 
#1 ·
I know it is a little bit early as we have still more than one month of tennis including two TMS and TMC. But we can start summing up this season. What were the best matches you have seen this year?

For me they were:

Fernando Gonzalez over Rafael Nadal and Gonzalez over Tommy Haas in Australian Open - what was that from Gonzalez? In the span of two matches he made what? 100 winners and 15 unforced errors? When I was watching this I couldn't believe that this is Gonzalez and that you can play tennis like that...

Mikhail Youzhny over Novak Djokovic in Rotterdam. Pure class tennis, the fiesta for all fans liking great technical game. Youzhny saved two matchpoints with two amazing, out of this world winners.

Rafael Nadal over Novak Djokovic in Indian Wells and then revenge Djokovic over Nadal in Miami. Two great matches between two great players within two weeks. In both cases the loser was playing great, so what you can say about the winner ?

Filippo Volandri over Roger Federer in Rome. Volandri was perfect from the baseline.

Nicolas Mahut over Rafael Nadal in Queen's. I haven't seen such a perfect serve-and-volley game since Rafter left. Unfortunately for Mahut, he played only two such matches in his career.

Roger Federer over Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon. I was hoping for a surprise here and I was crossing my fingers for Rafa then, although I am not a particular fan of any player on tour. When they got to the 5th set, it became so tense. I was imagining myself in Rafa's shoes and I though that I would piss my pants from nerves in such situation. Kudos for Federer, who picked up his best for the decisive moments (his serve in 5th set was awesome)

David Ferrer over Rafael Nadal in US Open - beating Nadal with his own weapon is something you don't see very often. The first time I saw Nadal being demolished from the baseline by fellow claycourter.

Novak Djokovic over Radek Stepanek in US Open - 67 76 57 75 76 - it says all. 5 hours of great tennis with some magnificent shots.

Nikolay Davydenko over Tommy Haas in US Open - 150% focus and no errors from Davydenko. I was amazed

Novak Djokovic over Juan Ignacio Chela in Vienna - Chela should have taken it, great quality from both and some amazing winners too.

Overall, I think it was a very fine season with many good matches. Best GS for me was US Open, worst Roland Garros, which is surprising because I like claycourt game. But this year I lacked something extra in RG.

My awards:

player of the year: Roger Federer, 2nd place ex aequo Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic

most improved player: Novak Djokovic

losers of the year: David Nalbandian, Marcos Baghdatis, Dominik Hrbaty, Gaston Gaudio.

match of the year: Federer over Nadal in Wimbledon

See less See more
#9 ·
Federer - Djokovic at the AO.
Gonzalez - Nadal at the AO.
Nadal - Murray at the AO.
Youzhny - Djoko in Rotterdam.
Nadal - Davy in Rome.
Gasquet - Roddick at Wimbledon.
Federer - Nadal at Wimbledon.
Djokovic - Federer in Montreal.
Blake - Santoro at the USO.
Blake - Haas at the USO.
Ferrer - Nalbandian at the USO.
Ferrer - Nadal at the USO.
Djokovic - Stepanek at the USO.

#10 ·
And the worst match ?

I think that everybody will agree that it was Nadal over Alun Jones in US Open. How did Nadal win that ? It was the great display of futures level tennis, but I think that some futures players could be offended with this statement.

#11 ·
this will be a great discussion in about one month

and by the way, there's a difference between great PERFORMANCES and great MATCHES. Much of what you listed above - including Gonzalez and Volandri before I stopped reading - are great PERFORMANCES. The Gonzalez-Haas MATCH was terrible. Biggest blowout in history. The PERFORMANCE was incredible. We should have BOTH discussions in a month.

#21 · (Edited)
Gasquet vs. Roddick Wimbledon
Federer vs. Roddick AO
Ferrer vs. Nadal USO

#23 ·
#22 ·
1.Gasquet def Roddick Wimbledon *Greatest backhand exhibition of all time.
2.Federer def Nadal wimbledon
3.Djokovic def Stepanek USOPEN
4.Federer deSTROYS Roddick Australian open
5.Gonzalez deSTROYS Haas Australian open
6.Blake def Santoro USOPEN
7.Federer def Djoko AO
8.Nadak def Davy Rome
9.Federer def Roddick USOPEN
10.Ferrer def Nadal USOPEN

#24 ·
No question about it for me: The Wimbledon Final. Both players deserved the win, a match full of drama, Rafa playing his best level, choking in the 4th & ressurection from Fed in the 5th, and good-spirited friendliness afterwards. Couldn't ask for more, hope to see it happen again in 2008 - with a win for Raf this time, perhaps. :D

#25 ·
Wimbledon final: Federer vs. Nadal.

For once the Wimbledon final was the best grand slam final of the year. Have to go back to Rafter vs. Ivansevic for last year when that was the case.

Reactions: Sunset of Age
#26 ·
Maybe a poll to vote for best match of the year.

#27 ·
There weren't many great matches this year. The TMS finals being reduced to best-of-3 is partly to blame.

Murray-Haas in IW comes to mind as possibly the best match of the year. I thought the quality of Djok-Fed in Montreal was better than the US Open final. Maybe the Fed-Nadal Wimby final will be remembered as the best of 2007.

I think there was already a thread for this.

#34 ·
the best matches I've seen so far this year:

Nadal vs Murray at the AO
Youzhny vs Djokovic at Rotterdam
Murray vs Haas at Indian Wells
Djokovic vs Nadal at Miami
Cañas vs Federer at Miami
Nadal vs Davydenko at Rome
Federer vs Nadal at Wimbledon
Gasquet vs Roddick at Wimbledon
Federer vs Roddick at the USO
Djokovic vs Stepanek at the USO
Ferrer vs Nadal at the USO
Blake vs Santoro at the USO

#36 ·
gotta love the Somdev Dev Varman shout out in your signature. Respect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.