Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T. Nadal: "Rafa lost in Rome but returned home happy because his game has improved"

Toni Nadal insists that he won't mind Rafael Nadal dropping his number one ranking if that comes for a record ninth Roland Garros triumph.

"It would be fantastic to win in Paris for the ninth time in ten years," Tennis World Italia quoted Toni. "It's true, Rafa lost the final in Rome but (he) returned home happy because his game has improved."

"I would immediately change the number one rankings if it meant winning a Grand Slam. I would sign to win the Roland Garros and finish the year in third or fourth place in the ATP rankings."

Nadal, 27, has to win the Roland Garros crown this year in order to retain the top spot in the singles rankings.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Rafa-winning-French-Open-more-important-than-staying-no1-Toni-Nadal--articolo18087.html

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Re: T. Nadal: "Rafa lost in Rome but returned home happy because his game has improve

IMO Djokovic does not mind number one but he does love to win FO Toni as well.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Re: T. Nadal: "Rafa lost in Rome but returned home happy because his game has improve

Wise words from El Tio, as always! :bowdown:

I wonder what he has planned for RG this year? Which umpire did he chose for the final, does anybody know? :confused:
Too bad he didn't give us a little preview of the draw he carefully engineered! :sad:

I'm eager to see the new Tio masterplan to make his nephew win no matter what! :worship:

·
Registered
16,539 Posts

This was obvious and exactly why I was happy with what Rafa did in Rome.

He fought out marathons, even destroyed Dimitrov along the way, and pushed Djokovic despite playing 10 (some very long) matches in 12 days.

Got to love his chances at RG in a best of 5 format. Bring it on

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Tio Toni said us that he does not care for number one really ?! He knows very well that Rafa will lose it very soon if not at FO then in Canada MS 1000 or in Cincy . Rafa has so many points to defend but it was easy for him last year when he had nothing to defend and was fresh
after 7 months break. Let see who will win FO this year! Rafa does not play very well . So many players can challenge him on clay as Murray,Nishikori ,Simon /i was surprised what fight he gave to Rafa 2 sets in TB which lasted 2h +/ ,Ferrer won in 2 sets vs him,Almagro,Wawrinka beat him in GS F ,Dolgopol . If he losses FO i am not sure he could take it or how he will take it!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts

This was obvious and exactly why I was happy with what Rafa did in Rome.

He fought out marathons, even destroyed Dimitrov along the way, and pushed Djokovic despite playing 10 (some very long) matches in 12 days.

Got to love his chances at RG in a best of 5 format. Bring it on
format doesn't matter it's Nadal on clay he is always the favorite

·
Registered
16,539 Posts

Of course format matters. Best of 5 makes him an even heavier favourite.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

You don't think BO5 format gives him a bigger advantage than BO3? Bear in mind Nadal has an 81-1 record in BO5 matches on clay...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts

You don't think BO5 format gives him a bigger advantage than BO3? Bear in mind Nadal has an 81-1 record in BO5 matches on clay...
yes but when it's Nadal nobody's gonna beat him there anyway except Djokovic

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

yes but when it's Nadal nobody's gonna beat him there anyway except Djokovic
Why do people say that? lol. Soderling did.

As rare as it is, anything can happen. And it's not like Rafa was very convincing this clay season either, until he started playing a little better in his last 3 matches.

·
Registered
610 Posts

I watched an RG preview where they interviewed Monfils and asked him how to beat Rafa, and he said you'd have to ask Soderling. They also interviewed Gasquet and showed him as a junior winning RG, and kind of focused on the fact that he never lived up to that potential. I would love if Gasquet got into the final 8 at least this year, but can't see it happening.

ABR.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Soderling,Wawrinka did not need 5 sets to beat Rafa! Rafa beat Soderling in Rome 61 62 a week before FO but surprise ,surprise Soderling revenged him at FO in 4 sets. So everything is possible if players believe they could do it and not in stupid media.

·
Banned
6,672 Posts

On the surface it looks like everything is going well for dull to win another FO, but it is more complicated than that. He has never won the FO 5 times in a row, and Djokovic has been coming closer every year. This will be Djokovic's year. It is meant to be.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

If Djokovic beat Nadal at FO it means that Djokovic would have wins vs Rafa in all GS . That will kill his confidence for ever.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

On the surface it looks like everything is going well for dull to win another FO, but it is more complicated than that. He has never won the FO 5 times in a row, and Djokovic has been coming closer every year. This will be Djokovic's year. It is meant to be.
:lol:
I find it funny how people even state this. There is an entire thread on this. Seriously. It is like he tried it for many years an failed. He has made 8 finals in 9 years. What are the chances he makes it five in a row?

I don't care, he wins or loses, but I want him to play some good tennis. His clay season this year is as good as forgettable except his match vs Murray and Djokovic. If he gains confidence, his chances improve considerably.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

If Djokovic beat Nadal at FO it means that Djokovic would have wins vs Rafa in all GS . That will kill his confidence for ever.
It could dent his confidence sure. Maybe not forever. He recovery form 2011 bashing is good enough an evidence. 3 GS finals in a row. He will find a way.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts