Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought i'd say this involving Simon, but that was a fantastic match. A lot of wonderful long rallies and a tip of the cap to both men.

Simon will be exhausted in the semifinals.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts
Sydney QF: [4] Simon def. Millman 7-5 3-6 7-6(3)

Lungbusting stuff, 2 hours and 40 minutes of play after rain delay interrupted start.
So many rallies over 20 shots...great battle from both players. Certainly matched from start to finish, Millman a bit unfortunate to lose perhaps (served for the match).

I watched the first set live and it was evident how well these guys moved around the court. Simon has excellent ball control, very little effort required to play the ball, generally balanced. John on the other hand was more visibly intense with his shots. Nevertheless they played each other almost equally off the ground, the upperhand was never truly present until the end of the rally. John's serving got him out of some trouble spots but not enough to see him through.

Simon plays Alex De Minaur for a shot at the Sydney F, though he might be too tired to prevail given his marathon with Querrey yesterday and especially this gruelling encounter with John.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Watched the end of it, had some really epic points in it. The break-back one when Millman was serving for the match was just classic Gimon. :worship:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Great match. Millman was gutsy as usual, and could've easily won it.

This one pretty much sums up why I love Simon, though. There's some kind of madness in his tennis, and watching him weather all kinds of storms with his ball control alone - because that's effectively all he's got as a tennis player - and doing that well past the midnight like that no less, is almost therapeutic for me. Win or lose, it just makes me happy. There's no one quite like him, and in all likelihood there won't be.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Great match. Millman was gutsy as usual, and could've easily won it.

This one pretty much sums up why I love Simon, though. There's some kind of madness in his tennis, and watching him weather all kinds of storms with his ball control alone - because that's effectively all he's got as a tennis player - and doing that well past the midnight like that no less, is almost therapeutic for me. Win or lose, it just makes me happy. There's no one quite like him, and in all likelihood there won't be.
His movement is not that bad either :p. This match was a lot of fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts