28 MALISSE, Xavier BEL

29 YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS
30 VOINEA, Adrian ROM

31 SANTORO, Fabrice FRA
32 FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
There are so many good players in Sydney 2003!

Good Luck Juanqui! :bounce: :bounce:

BTW Leo, the year in your title should be 2003, I guess.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
LOL, it's hard to transition to a new year ;)

Juan Carlos has a tough first round against Santoro :eek::eek: But Jarkko got a qualifier :D Tis going to be a very interseting week . . .

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
JUANQUI'S PLAYING DOUBLES HERE!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Unfortunately, he and Robredo are up against the #3 seeded team of Bhupathi/Eagle.

A lot of top players are playing doubles this week, both in Sydney and Auckland. Guess everyone's getting a bit of last minute net practice ;)

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Double cheering for Juanqui playing Double :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Please let him win a double match to get some NET confident:). It's so nice to see him trying to improve what he needs to improve. :kiss:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
:D Ooh! I'm glad to hear that Juanqui is playing dobles w his compatriot Tommy R!!! They're a great team I'd love to see!! VAMOS, Spanish guys!! ;)

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i corrected my original post ;)

here is the doubles draw:

(1)Mark Knowles/Daniel Nestor (BAH/CAN) vs Max Mirnyi/Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR)
Marat Safin/Nenad Zimonjic (RUS/YUG) vs Thomas Shimada/Paradorn Srichaphan (JPN/THA)

(4)Martin Damm/Cyril Suk (CZE) vs Simon Aspelin/Michael Hill (SWE/AUS)
Leander Paes/David Rikl (IND/CZE) vs (WC)Paul Hanley/Nathan Healey (AUS)

Andrew Kratzmann/Kevin Ullyett (AUS/ZIM) vs (WC)Andrew Florent/Sandon Stolle (AUS)
(3)Mahesh Bhupathi/Joshua Eagle (IND/AUS) vs Juan Carlos Ferrero/Tommy Robredo (ESP)

Julien Boutter/Michael Llodra (FRA) vs Karsten Braasch/Rainer Schuettler (GER)
(2)Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA) vs Gaston Gaudio/Nicolas Lapentti (ARG/ECU)

Vamos Juanqui and Tommy! :bounce:

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Leo7 said:
i corrected my original post ;)

here is the doubles draw:

(1)Mark Knowles/Daniel Nestor (BAH/CAN) vs Max Mirnyi/Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR)
Marat Safin/Nenad Zimonjic (RUS/YUG) vs Thomas Shimada/Paradorn Srichaphan (JPN/THA)

(4)Martin Damm/Cyril Suk (CZE) vs Simon Aspelin/Michael Hill (SWE/AUS)
Leander Paes/David Rikl (IND/CZE) vs (WC)Paul Hanley/Nathan Healey (AUS)

Andrew Kratzmann/Kevin Ullyett (AUS/ZIM) vs (WC)Andrew Florent/Sandon Stolle (AUS)
(3)Mahesh Bhupathi/Joshua Eagle (IND/AUS) vs Juan Carlos Ferrero/Tommy Robredo (ESP)

Julien Boutter/Michael Llodra (FRA) vs Karsten Braasch/Rainer Schuettler (GER)
(2)Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA) vs Gaston Gaudio/Nicolas Lapentti (ARG/ECU)

Vamos Juanqui and Tommy! :bounce:
Go Knowles/Nestor! :bounce: :bounce:

Vamos Juanqui/Tommy!

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:wavey: Lee. i'm home. btw, i heard a rumour that Santoro has withdrawn and Ferrero will instead play Crabb (a qualifier) in the first round, which would be a much easier match. let me check this out...

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Indeed, Juan Carlos is up against Crabb the Qualifier, but there has been no news of Fab's withdrawal :( If you find something let us know.

Makes our boy's life about 10 times easier, though :D

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good news for Juan Carlos. but still a very difficult draw after the first round. :eek:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Second seed Juan Carlos survived an opening-round scare against Australian qualifier Jaymon Crabb in the first round of the adidas International in Sydney Monday. Ferrero, playing his first tournament since reaching the final of Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai, dropped the first set before winning 5-7, 7-5, 6-3.

Wayne Ferreira continued his dominance of Swede Thomas Enqvist with a 6-2, 6-4 victory. The South African has won all six career meetings against Enqvist without dropping a set. Ferreira, who reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open last year, next could face Juan Ignacio Chela, whom he lost to in the second round in Sydney last year.

Australian qualifier Peter Luczak overcame a nervous start to almost upset Finn Jarkko Nieminen. Luczak lost the first set to love but rallied to win the second set and serve for the match in the third at 5-4. But Nieminen's big-match experience helped him steady to win 6-0, 3-6, 7-5.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Wayne Ferreira: "I was pleased when I saw that I'd drawn him [Enqvist], especially when I knew that he'd been injured for a long time. I practiced with him a few times last week and he hasn't fully recovered.

"He serves really big and he doesn't really like the serve to come back. I try to make a lot of returns and make him play a lot of balls. He's not really consistent from the baseline. I just like the way he plays - it's a good match-up for me. I think [the 6-0 record] is more a negative thing for him than a positive thing for me."

On the possibility of playing Juan Ignacio Chela in the second round for the second consecutive year: "I was disappointed to lose to him last year because I felt I should have won that match. I never played him again throughout the year and I really wanted the opportunity. If I get the opportunity this week I'd like to reverse that."

Peter Luczak: "I played too aggressively at the start in the wind - it was a hurricane out there on court one. He wasn't missing and I did all the missing. It will be hard to sleep tonight after coming so close. I had a great chance to win and the wind was a real equalizer. Maybe I got tight in the end. I'm hoping to break into the Top 100 this year and qualify for ATP events and play against the big guys."

Juan Carlos Ferrero: "It was my first match of the year and I need some rhythm, so I'll take it [the win]. There were a lot of rallies and I played a good, solid match. I'm really happy.

"I have the opportunity to go up in the rankings after I missed the Australian circuit last year when I was injured. I am hoping to play well on hard courts this year. On hard courts I think you need to be more aggressive and hit more winners. Reaching the final of Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai has given me a lot of confidence on hard courts."

Jaymon Crabb: "I liked the way I stayed with him on the baseline, but I did do a lot of running. The last two days I've been playing well and after I held my first few service games I was in the match and I thought I had a chance. I'll take a day off tomorrow and then get ready for the Australian Open qualies on Thursday."

this win for Juanqui in his first match of the season is a good omen for 2003. keep it going! :bounce:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Three seeds advance in first-round matches at Sydney tennis

January 6, 2003

SYDNEY (Ticker) - Second seed Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain, whose greatest success has come on clay courts, got off to a good start at the $932,000 adidas international tennis harcourt event Monday.

Ferrero, who won a title on clay at Monte Carlo and reached the final at the French Open in 2002, posted a 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 victory Australian qualifier Jaymon Crabb.

The 22-year-old Ferrero reached the final on clay at the Generali Open, but also won his second career hardcourt title at Hong Kong last September. He lost to world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt in the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup, which also was played on hard courts.

"It was my first match of the year and I need some rhythm," said Ferrero. "There were a lot of rallies and I played a good, solid match. On hard courts, I think you need to be more aggressive and hit more winners. Reaching the finals of the Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai has given me a lot of confidence on hard courts."

Eighth seed Gaston Gaudio of Argentina also moved into the second round, posting a 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 7-5 victory over Australian Todd Reid.

In matches involving unseeded players, Jarkko Nieminen of Finland recorded a 6-0, 3-6, 7-5 win over Peter Luczak of Austrailia and Wayne Ferreira of South Africa won for the sixth time in as many career meetings with Sweden's Thomas Enqvist, 6-2, 6-4. Enqvist, who is coming back from a shoulder injury, never has won a set against Ferreira.

"I was pleased when I saw that I'd drawn him, especially when I'd knew that he'd been injured for a long time," said Ferreira, who reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open. "I practiced with him a few times last week and he hasn't fully recovered. He serves really big and he doesn't really like the serve to come back. I try to make a lot of returns and make him play a lot of balls. He's not really consistent from the baseline."

On the women's side, eighth seed Magdaleena Maleeva of Bulgaria made her 2003 debut with a 3-6, 7-5, 6-0 victory over Silvia Farina Elia of Italy. Maleeva , who reached the quarterfinals here in 1998, improved to 4-3 lifetime against Farina Elia.

Fifth-seeded Russian Anastasia Myskina was upset by countrywoman Elena Bovina, 6-3, 7-5. Bovina will face Belarussian qualifier Olga Barabanschikova, who defeated Conchita Martinez of Spain, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4. Wild card Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand also advanced with a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 victory over Czech qualifier Klara Koukalova.

This event is a tune up for the Australian Open, which begins on January 13.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
M. Youzhny (RUS) d. A. Voinea (ROM) 36 62 ret. (left hamstring)

Misha defeated Voinea so the Russian will be Ferrero's next opponent in Sydney. this should be a great, competitive match if both are playing well. Vamos Juanqui. :)

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Leo7 said:
Australian qualifier Peter Luczak overcame a nervous start to almost upset Finn Jarkko Nieminen. Luczak lost the first set to love but rallied to win the second set and serve for the match in the third at 5-4. But Nieminen's big-match experience helped him steady to win 6-0, 3-6, 7-5.
Peter Luczak: "I played too aggressively at the start in the wind - it was a hurricane out there on court one. He wasn't missing and I did all the missing. It will be hard to sleep tonight after coming so close. I had a great chance to win and the wind was a real equalizer. Maybe I got tight in the end. I'm hoping to break into the Top 100 this year and qualify for ATP events and play against the big guys."
First of all, PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT Luczak wasn't that close to upsetting Jarkko :rolleyes: Secondly, hate to break it to you, son, but being in the Top 100 isn't enough to qualify for the big boys events.

Yes, yes I am enjoying my gloating :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 77 Posts