Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seppi started the match on fire but seemed to get a bit frustrated by De Minaur and dropped off a bit. Match became a mental battle and De Minaur was always going to win that one.

Grats on his first of many ATP titles!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Very convincing week.

Do you think those 4 sets from today (2 matches) will affect his AO performance?
Or was that just like a normal 4-set-win in best-of-5-mode?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very convincing week.

Do you think those 4 sets from today (2 matches) will affect his AO performance?
He's young enough that he'll be out practicing again probably tomorrow with all the energy in the world. If anything he'll play better at the AO.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Always nice to win your first tournament in your home country. I do hope De Minaur keeps growing as a player and won't rely on out grinding the opponent like Hewitt.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Seppi started off the match very impressively but he was never going to be able to sustain that. In the brief period where Alex got back in the match it was very high quality from both, and then Seppi dropped off by the end of the first set. Second set both players were very flat and the standard became a lot lower. Big moment for Alex to win the first title at home.

Very convincing week.

It's more intense than a normal 4-set match because you typically exert more in a 3 set BO3 win than a straight sets slam win, but I suspect that facing Pedro Sousa in R1 and a fairly simple R2 on paper will probably mean he gets through without too much trouble and will recover. Any 5 set matches at AO might be too much though.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Nice to see another teenager winning a title :yeah: De Minaur came just short last year, but this time he fought back from a break down in both sets and gritted out his second win of the day. Even without huge weapons, I believe he can become a solid top 10 player with his work ethic.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
A youngster like De Minaur making strides, great thing for the sport. Only watched highlights of his play in this tournament. Mentality, defense/footspeed, eye for/understanding of the game and consistency are all quality. Variety is also decent. Just hope going forward he'd be able to develop more pace into his shots. At times he does "pull the trigger", and Hewitt has also argued he has more potential on that front than people might think. Truly hope to see that development...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
First title of many, I would think. Alex's game is maturing nicely. There is consistent depth on his shots now and his forehand is shaping as a unique weapon. That pattern where he strokes a flat forehand up the line and comes in, forcing the opponent to dig out a low BH passing shot, is a tricky puzzle for his opponents to solve. He's playing neutral rallies most of the time now instead of the scampering defence he relied on in 2018, and his serve has improved in placement and power. Very good signs.

I'm just going to leave this here so people don't forget:

Bold Prediction: Alex De Minaur Will Win Multiple Slams

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
He is Spanish but now playing for Australia. His final speech was incomplete. He has to thanks the Spanish federation or Spanish past for ALL his formation and improvement from his early years.
Now he is Australian, Its ok, but dont forget your past and all the money that the spanish federation gave to you.
Congrats!!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The kid's really fast, isn't he.

...Nadal, Berdych, Gasquet, Monfils, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro, Cilic, Nishikori, (8 years of drought), A. Zverev, Rublev, and now De Minaur. Teenage title winners rarely fail to reach top 10.

Congrats, Alex.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
He is Spanish but now playing for Australia. His final speech was incomplete. He has to thanks the Spanish federation or Spanish past for ALL his formation and improvement from his early years.
Now he is Australian, Its ok, but dont forget your past and all the money that the spanish federation gave to you.
Congrats!!
Salty much. He's been funded by Tennis Australia since he was 13 years old (even his coaching while in Spain). Why? Because the Spanish Federation refused to help him.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I love when a player gets their first title in their own country :) But I missed the match :banghead:

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
First of many for this talented player! :bigclap:

Congrats, Alex! :D

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Seppi started off really well though all the games were pretty extended and could have gone either way. One Alex recovered the break (third different game of asking) the intensity changed and Seppi was fighting to stay in it towards the end of the set, and Alex capitalised on that. Second time lucky in this tournament (a shame for Ash Barty on WTA who couldn't get over the line a second time but Alex does it) and the last of the usual 250 format I imagine.

Really good effort by both players, especially Alex who also had to beat Gilles Simon earlier at noon as well. Glad it didn't need to be longer than necessary (4 sets played today!). Very mature performance from him, his grit and force at the right moments got him through a very experienced opponent. I wish both of them the best down in Melbourne. Gutted for Seppi too who hasn't lifted a title since 2012 but Alex has really been working for that chance and it was his trophy tonight.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
great to see a rising star winning

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfan View Post
Congrats!!

Salty much. He's been funded by Tennis Australia since he was 13 years old (even his coaching while in Spain). Why? Because the Spanish Federation refused to help him.
To some MTF posters you would think that the ATP/ITF rosters revolved around Spain & its 'amazing talent pool' so thank you for setting the record straight regarding this misconception.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts