Mens Tennis Forums banner

161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
This was a really hard call for Roger Federer. But if he made this decision then it was probably for the best. Too bad he doesn´t tell us when the pain started.
He will be back.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Rafa has been extremely unlucky, as he did not play the US Open in 2012 and 2014.
And retired in the 2018 US Open SF.
Rafa has won FOUR US Opens, but had huge chance at winning FIVE, SIX or SEVEN US Opens!
Like I said, w/ the most brutaIIy physicaI gamestyIe, though he's been abIe to outIast certain opponents for titIes, nobody even gave him a chance to make it to earIy 30's but w/ the aid of medicaI science ;), he's stiII competing.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Just heard this, wow, get well soon Federer, tough pill to swallow for his fans but at least he will be back for his fave part of the season.

·
Premium Member
9,020 Posts
I am really surprised with the amount of confidence of some here pretending he will come back and sweep Grass Season.

Of course you can base your theory on 2017 AO but AO is a quite different situation when all players are just back from off season and rusty.

I am afraid another exemple is 2018 when Federer was running on water, winning Hopman AO Rotterdam plus a final in Indian Wells then deciding to zap Clay and coming back extremly rusty loosing to Coric and Anderson on grass....

Considering he is older, injured (even if slightly) and far from his early 2018 level in AO 2020, I am afraid it could be a possible "re-make" scenario.

·
Banned
25 Posts
I am really surprised with the amount of confidence of some here pretending he will come back and sweep Grass Season.

Of course you can base your theory on 2017 AO but AO is a quite different situation when all players are just back from off season and rusty.

I am afraid another exemple is 2018 when Federer was running on water, winning Hopman AO Rotterdam plus a final in Indian Wells then deciding to zap Clay and coming back extremly rusty loosing to Coric and Anderson on grass....

Considering he is older, injured (even if slightly) and far from his early 2018 level in AO 2020, I am afraid it could be a possible "re-make" scenario.
The more likely scenario is a repeat of 2016, where he plays the grass season and then decides to take the rest of the year off and come back in 2021, which will mirror his 2017 level.

Of course, the dopey tennis fans still think Federer's age is going to all of a sudden magically hit him like a ton of bricks and his healthy level is going to plummet, but that's just not how it works. Injuries are what kill athletes, not age.

Former 49ers great John Taylor is nearly 58 and can still do backflips. And he retired because of injuries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really hope the surgery gives Federer an extra boost. But he needs more cushion in his records now more than ever.

·
|
14,065 Posts
Like I said, w/ the most brutaIIy physicaI gamestyIe, though he's been abIe to outIast certain opponents for titIes, nobody even gave him a chance to make it to earIy 30's but w/ the aid of medicaI science ;), he's stiII competing.
Actually I always laughed at people all over the internet when they said he'd be retired by age 30 (and some even said he'd be retired by age 26).
I've spent the last decade telling people that Rafa would finish with more slams than Federer....

·
Registered
27 Posts
im a big Fed hater but will never count him out. he will never be the favorite to win any of the slams but still a threat. i think he will play 2 more full years and maybe 1 season when he plays 2 majors and a few of if fav tournaments.

161 - 174 of 174 Posts