·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The old man is falling apart.

Gather around and shed some tears, people. We are witnessing the end of a true legend.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The old man is falling apart.

Gather around and shed some tears, people. We are witnessing the end of a true legend.
oh no... He's probably find himself ranked #7 or #8 afterwards..

and thanks to the Wimby Ranking System he will likely still be seeded around 3-5

·
Registered
108 Posts
Terribly sad news! So Federer will have, by my calculations, 3550 points by the start of the grass season. So he'll be ranked 5-8 probably, with 1700 of those points to defend....

·
Registered
59 Posts
If he had a problem then it's good he solved it. Hopefully he recovers in time so he can have a decent preparation for Wimbledon where he will still be seeded in something like third or fourth.

This doesnt necessarily have to be a bad thing considering that he will be fresh for the second half of the season if he manages to recover that is.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Terrible news and quite unexpected. By doing this he surely wants to try to be at 100% at Wimbledon and Olympics. But I guess after this year he will end it...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Crap, not sure I can bear 4 months without watching Fed.

As long as the surgery's a success, though, it may not be the worst thing in the world. This is an Olympics year and the top 2 players are locked in a battle for the #1 ranking. If Fed's fresh in the second half of the year when other players are gassed, then he could pick up some big prizes.

Obviously this puts his AO performances in proper perspective.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Fuck, it really made me sad. I would like Fed to retire on his own terms, I hope he comes back for last one swan song. He took the sport to the next level and I am not talking about tennis only, about sport in general. When he retires he will be remembered like Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan or Diego Maradona, forever.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not necessarily bad news as the last time he took a break it created wonders for him at beginning of 2017. I think he needed another long break. Probably he wants give one big push for Wimbledon-Olympics-US Open period of the season before it is too late. I wonder it would have been a better idea to skip AO all together now and start at grass this year now.

He is probably too old now and surgery could be serious but I would say this is likely an attempt to maximize his chances win another slam before he retires in 2021.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
bionic knee will rise

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Terrible news for Roger. This could benefit him later on if he recharges his batteries well. The surgery went well, so he should be fine in a few months. He has played enough tennis on grass over the years, so I don't think he will be too undercooked. His ranking will suffer slightly, which could be problematic. Lucky for him, SW19 have their own way of doing things.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts