Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who better is shot-maker the?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will say nor do anything but ask this question: :devil:

Who is the superior shot-maker, Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic?

Actually, I will make one small point and that is that there is such a thing as defensive shot-making; this isn't something that registers with everybody.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Nadal. That's why he has 6 more Grand Slams.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Defensively Nadull easily. Offensively...probably Faker but neither are great at it.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Djokovic, No question about it.

Nadal is a naturally defensive player. He counters almost everything with his Top spinning Backhand or Forehand. And when in the rally he feels he should give it a go only then he goes for his shots. Otherwise his routine game is to wait for the opponents mistakes.

While Djokovic is a naturally aggressive player. It starts from his return of the serve which is often wandering on the baseline of the Server. he goes for his shots from the moment go. Only when the opponent has seized the initiative of shot making i have seen Djokovic defensive and that too on his back hand. More or less He is an aggressive player.

For shot making i have seen Nadal hit some screamers but they are quite far and few and that too when the opponent is in a bad position on the court, while Djokovic was hitting screamers left right and center at the start of the year. For me its quite obvious Djokovic without a question.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Djokovic by a landslide in terms of being aggressive, but shotmaking covers a multitude of areas of tennis. Nadal is capable of great shotmaking, but only feels comfortable going for winners when the rally is done or he is being countered effectively defensively, and feels the need to hit one. Nole on the other hand will always hunt for winners and has produced some of the best shotmaking I've ever seen on a tennis court. And many have been when on the defensive or in an uncomfortable motion. Added pressure obviously doesn't seem to faze him either. Nadal defensively (obviously), but in terms of attacking shot making, no contest.

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
well actually this is a tough one for me:scratch: I like both players alot and i love how amazing their defense and offense they have but Nole actually tops Rafa by some margin just because he ends the points quicker and he doesnt need to rely on long rallies like Rafa does, do get me wrong Rafa is working on that part in his game and getting a lil better each time but for me like one person said about Noles 07-08 seasons, Nole really was a dangerous for Rafa ESPECIALLY on hardcourts and sometimes even clay, i still have haunted memories of how he was i thought peaking in the semis of Cincy in 08, the way he hit his backhand shot in the most phemominal way was just shit ridiculous:eek: I mean i thought and knew that Nole will be a very dangerous opponent for Rafa because not only is he good with his offensive skills hes also good with his defensive skills as well and his first and second serves were so vishious:worship:

EDIT: And lemme add that he was spectacular at redirecting his shots on both sides......jus like my DelPetra Kvitty(Petra Kvitova;) )

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Djokovic (what's his bleedin' middle name darnit?) Novak better the shot-maker is.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Nadal and it's not even close. Nadal actually hits fantastic shots and shocks the viewer sometimes. I am hardly ever surprised or awed by shots from DJokovic.

the mistake here is that obviously Djokovic can play agressively better than Nadal which has skewed the poll but as far as shot making, Nadal has better variation and can hit greater shots from awkward positions. Djokovic just always returns the ball fast and deep. he is extremely consistant and fast but not a great shot maker. Nadal on the other hand hits great great shots.

I don't understand how this poll is so lopsided, Nadal actually is recognized of being able to hit some sick angles and shots, Djokovic is just a counter puncher who acts like a PONG wall reflecting

·
12,691 Posts
Nadal and it's not even close. Nadal actually hits fantastic shots and shocks the viewer sometimes. I am hardly ever surprised or awed by shots from DJokovic.

the mistake here is that obviously Djokovic can play agressively better than Nadal which has skewed the poll but as far as shot making, Nadal has better variation and can hit greater shots from awkward positions. Djokovic just always returns the ball fast and deep. he is extremely consistant and fast but not a great shot maker. Nadal on the other hand hits great great shots.

I don't understand how this poll is so lopsided, Nadal actually is recognized of being able to hit some sick angles and shots, Djokovic is just a counter puncher who acts like a PONG wall reflecting
:superlol:

So bitter. Nice to see that those 6 big losses still hurt some Rafatards. :lol:
Nole is a better ballstriker and shot-maker than Nadal. Period. This poll say it all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts