Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, of the 64 first round matches on the men's side, 1 went to the super tiebreaker. Chardy beating Ugo Humbert 10-6. Was this an 'epic' match that was cut short? Don't think so. I don't think the super tie break has taken away any of the excitement from a grand slam match.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I hate these super-TBs. Obviously like regular non-TB sets as a decider the most but otherwise I still vastly prefer regular TBs over these ones. They are just weird.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
There should be a balanced approach between playing forever until you break your opponent and a 5th set tiebreak decider at 6 all that I see as two opposing PoVs. I think Wimbledon did right with prolonging 5th set to 12 all before the tiebreak, that way they preserved the thrill of five set match between technically good players, but prevented eternal servebotting that messes up the schedule completely and gives nothing to watch in return. 5th set tiebreak at 6 all is anticlimatic ending to a good match IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I don't think it takes too much away - we'll never know when these matches would have stopped though. I'm fine with having a defined "final game" in the fifth set of slams if that is what players want, and many seem to. Still slightly puzzled about why they need to change the format of the tiebreak though just because its in a deciding set - making it the only singles event in the entire season to do this tiebreak until 10 (I think, not including exhibitions).

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
On the other hand. 1 match in 64 which wasn’t likely to be a forever match anyway. So did they really solve much of any issues by implementing this? Nope, but they did manage to force the end to a match that likely would have ended organically shortly anyway. At least the guy who had 0-40 on return a game or so prior won it. I get the want to end matches that could in theory continue forever, I think there are better options than a TB at 6 all and choosing a super TB rather than a regular one never did make any sense to me, a TB is a TB, 10 points isn’t going to make the ending feel less forced.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
There should be a balanced approach between playing forever until you break your opponent and a 5th set tiebreak decider at 6 all that I see as two opposing PoVs. I think Wimbledon did right with prolonging 5th set to 12 all before the tiebreak, that way they preserved the thrill of five set match between technically good players, but prevented eternal servebotting that messes up the schedule completely and gives nothing to watch in return. 5th set tiebreak at 6 all is anticlimatic ending to a good match IMO.

Completely agree. Can't understand why they didn't just follow Wimbledon. It's the perfect middle ground solution.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Thoroughly agree with Wimby going to 12-12 then a TB for their surface. A double length fifth set on HC in Melbourne is not the same though. Maybe 9-all and then a regular TB?

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Always said I prefer a TB at 9-9 in the final set. A regular TB that is

·
Registered
97 Posts
Trivia question re USO 5th set TB: what’s the latest round of a men’s single draw that was decided in a TB since introducing sudden death in 1970? I know of one very memorable one. Please answer with all you think qualify.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
This whole crap started because of Wimby officials who ddint take into account the Isner-Andersson could mimic Isner mahut.
And putting them ahead of Rafa Nole was even worst.

Just like the shot clock ( which nobody talks about it anymore (fedtarts) ). This wasnt an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts