Mens Tennis Forums banner

421 - 440 of 461 Posts

·
Banned
445 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is where i got it from
Olympics-Tennis-Fast courts spark controversy

By Ossian Shine

ATHENS, Aug 15 (Reuters) - The speed of Athens Olympic tennis courts sparked controversy among some players on Sunday, but world number one Roger Federer said the fast courts could narrow the gap between top players and the rest of the field.

"There are lots of players who won't be nice to play against on this surface as it is so fast," the 23-year-old Swiss said.

But a trio of Latin American players said the courts were unlike anything in professional tennis and judged them too fast.

The three, including two first round losers, also said the balls were too hard.

Argentine Mariano Zabaleta said: "It was too fast. It was very difficult for me. I couldn't adapt to it at all, couldn't get used to the surface."

Eleventh seed Juan Ignacio Chela agreed after his loss to Belarussian Max Mirnyi, saying he could not control the ball.

Colombia's Fabiola Zuluaga won her match against Serbia & Montenegro's Jelena Jankovic but still had a gripe.

"They told us it was the same court used in the U.S. Open but it was nothing like that. With the heat it is a little bit more soft, more sticky."

The International Tennis Federation said the surface - called Decoturf II - was exactly the same as the court to be used at the U.S. Open later this month and it had been laid professionally by Decoturf.

The balls were the same as those at the forthcoming U.S. Open too, the federation said.

Men's world number two Andy Roddick dismissed the complaints.

"Weren't both players on the court?" he asked. "Isn't it the same surface for everybody?

"Sure it is pretty fast out there and the balls are flying around but it is the same for everybody, come on."

(Additional reporting by Bill Barclay)

Updated on Sunday, Aug 15, 2004 8:11 am EDT

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
no fish bjorkman scores??

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
got it :D:D:D

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
LETS GO JONAS :banana:

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
please hold jonas baby :kiss:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I like Andy alot, I really do, but I wish he would STOP lumping everybody(players/athletes) in one category.

It's never the same for everyone and he should know that by now. He did the same thing with the doping case when questioned.

421 - 440 of 461 Posts