Sunday Results

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TennisHack 
#1 ·
Singles Finals

D. Ferrer (ESP) vs. (5)J. Acasuso (ARG)

Good luck Acasuso!!!! :) :) :)

#8 ·
FERRER CLAIMS FIRST ATP TITLE
Spaniard overcomes Jose Acasuso to win the Open Romania in Bucharest.

Spain's David Ferrer captured his first career ATP title with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Argentina's Jose Acasuso to win the Open Romania in Bucharest.

The 20-year-old Ferrer has enjoyed a remarkable couple of months on the ATP circuit. After winning his first career match in Umag, the Spaniard went on to reach the final at that event before losing to Carlos Moya. He also has won four Challenger titles this year in Napoli, Valencia, Sassuolo and Manerbio.

En route to his first title, Ferrer recorded impressive victories over former Bucharest finalists Andrea Gaudenzi and Arnaud Di Pasquale, as well as straight sets wins over Jurgen Melzer and fellow countryman David Sanchez.

Acasuso, the No. 5 seed who captured his first title in Sopot in July, did not drop a set against Dick Norman, Victor Hanescu or Franco Squillari, but was forced to save three match points against top seed and local favorite Andrei Pavel in the semifinals.

In what was the youngest final of the year on the ATP circuit, it was Ferrer who made the better start, going up 4-1 in the opening set. The 19-year-old Acasuso broke back, but then immediately relinquished his serve in the eighth game before the Spaniard claimed the first set. Ferrer then won six of the last seven games to lift the Tiriac-Nastase Trophy after 59 minutes on court.

What the Players Said:
Ferrer: "I'm very happy to have won my first ATP title, it's unbelievable! It's the best week of my career and today is the best day of my life."

"I played very well the whole match. Acasuso had some physical problems in the second set. I played great tennis all week defeating great players. A couple of years ago I watched them on television and now I beat them."

Acasuso: "Ferrer played very well today. He was very consistent. It was very difficult for me. I also had some problems with my shoulder, which meant I couldn't serve the way I use to. But it was a good week for me, I'm happy to have reached the final."

KNIPPSCHILD AND NYBORG CLAIM DOUBLES CROWN
Germany's Jens Knippschild and Peter Nyborg of Sweden captured the Open Romania title with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Emilio Benfele Alvarez and Andres Schneiter in Bucharest.

Knippschild and Nyborg were playing in their first tournament together and did not drop a set all week. The win marked Nyborg's fifth career doubles title and the second for Knippschild.

"This is very unexpected," said Knippschild. "I didn't know whether I would find a partner or not last weekend. I think we both played pretty well today and during the week we were consistent."

Nyborg added: "This is so unexpected, I didn't think I would win the title at the beginning of the week. Sometimes you are more relaxed when you don't have any expectations. It's one of my most enjoyable titles."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.