Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left home and got to Ariake after an hour and a half worth of trains :eek: The weather has been crappy since last Friday when we had our first cold snap. Since then it has rained non-stop and the temperatures have been chilly. Anyway, when I got there, the tournament staff had spectators standing out in the cold and rain and wouldn't let us into the Coliseum :tape: It was frustrating trying to find out what was going on because nobody spoke English :eek:

Finally after waiting 2 hours and getting a thorough soaking in the rain :eek: They let us into the Coliseum to watch the Sanguinetti/Ishii match. It started out pretty slow and David seems pretty moody and sluggish from the get-go. At about 2-2 1st set, David started getting into a rhythmn and his forehands were nice and steady, more so than his backhand at least ;) Ishii OTOH was feisty from the start. He kept trying to push the envelope with his deep groundies and kept the ball nice and low with his backhand slice. Ishii even mixed it up by coming to net a couple times and throwing in some great stab volleys. The big kicker came when Sanguinetti went down and busted his ass on the court at *4-2 30-30 :lol: Ishii hit a deep x-court forehand and followed it to net. I'm guessing David anticipated wrong and was caught wrong-footed and went down.....HARD. When he came up, he had a bloody nose and had to have the trainer come out. After the timeout, Ishii quickly broke David and closed the gap to *3-4. However, equipped with nose-gear, David's rhythmn remained steady and he closed out the set *6-4. The 2nd set was mostly uneventful. At 5-4, they had a hell of a deuce and David started shouting in Italian, I guess :scratch: By that time, Ishii's forehand was garbage and his once dazzling backhand slice was starting to become questionable. But Ishii hung on to get to a tiebreak, in which he promptly crumbled :eek:

After that, some dudes named Nam and Ito took to court and I really had no desire to sit and watch by then :eek: I rathered go back home and sip cocoa :angel:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a couple pix I took. One of Sanguinetti getting nose treatment :eek: and another of him exhibiting perfect form on the ball toss :p:D

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts