Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
His draw in Indianapolis:
Q
Monfils, Gael
Johansson, Thomas
Blake, James

I hope his beloved Tarik will be there, I don't think he would dare to behave like he did last time with Tarik watching him in the stands.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to say he plays doubles too with Bennet (they're the only Frenchies in the draw), they play Tojo-Kiwi in the first round.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
He has entered:
- Indianapolis
- Washington
- He has to play the qualies of Montreal and Cincy
- New Heaven
- US Open
:eek: marathon man!

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I don't know if he'll play both AMS qualies.
If he manages to win *3* matches in one of those tournaments, he's allowed to skip one.
I mean, Werner Eschauer is ahead of him in the rankings. That hurts. He REALLY needs the points. :lol:

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
He's not in the Qualies entry list for Montreal :confused:

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh thanks, you're right, I didn't even check the lists before making this thread.
Well, not a bad idea imo, he obviously has to skip some tournaments and qualies won't bring him any points if he only wins his usual 2 matches. :shrug:
He hasn't taken a free week for so long now, he even played Pörtschach the week before the French Open...

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
He hasn't taken a free week for so long now, he even played Pörtschach the week before the French Open...
With hindsight, this was not the worst decision, getting to a final is never bad. ;)

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Definitely, I'm still very pleased about that part of the year and the way he worked his way out of his really bad slump. By playing Challengers, Pörtschach on his own... Even before they started working together with Tarik.

He's playing Ricardo Mello in the first round today.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uuuppps... Washington next.

And he is not in the entry list of the Cincy qualies either.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Disappointing loss :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He has a good draw for Washington:
(6) FISH, Mardy/BYE
BERRER, Michael v QUALIFIER
ECONOMIDIS, Konstantinos v (WC) KLIZAN, Martin
(9) MONFILS, Gael/BYE

(14) LLODRA, Michael/BYE
BOGDANOVIC, Alex v HAASE, Robin
HEALEY, Nathan v HERNYCH, Jan
(3) SAFIN, Marat/BYE

·
Registered
18,903 Posts
This is a very good draw :eek:

He shouldn't lose to any player in this section of the draw :eek: not even Safin :p

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just saw completely by chance in an article about Parrott and Del Potro (who won the doubles in Indy) that Gael had to withdraw from the doubles because of a groin injury, I didn't know that, I hope he's fine for Washington.

"Travis Parrott and Juan Martin del Potro didn't even learn they were in the doubles competition until Tuesday night.
Parrott and del Potro were the first alternates, and they got in because the French duo of Julien Benneteau and Gael Monfils had to withdraw because of Monfils' groin injury (...)" http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070730/SPORTS/707300340

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
7-6(5) 6-4 :yeah:, Fish or Berrer next.

There are also some news about the „groin injury“ in L’Équipe today:
LA PIQÛRE DE MONFILS. – Quelle mouche a donc piqué Gaël Monfils ? Ou bien s’agissait-il d’une araignée ? La « Monf » s’est fait une petite frayeur la semaine dernière à Indianapolis. Alors qu’il dormait tranquillement dans sa chambre d’hôtel, il s’est fait piquer par une bête étrange. Au réveil, sa cuisse avait pris la forme d’un soufflé. « On a eu peur, raconte son entraîneur Tarik Benhabiles. Je l’ai immédiatement mis sous antibiotiques. On ne pouvait rien faire. Juste attendre que ça se dégonfle. » Monfils va mieux. Bien mieux même, à en juger par les deux heures d’entraînement englouties lundi. Quant à sa décision de rester en Europe après Wimbledon pour y disputer les tournois de Gstaad et de Stuttgart, sur terre battue, « il avait déjà pris ces engagements avant notre collaboration, regrette Benhabiles. Il ne pouvait plus faire autrement. Remarquez, ça lui a plutôt bien réussi avec des victoires sur Davydenko et Robredo. »
It wasn’t really an injury, he got biten by an insect in his hotel room and his thigh looked like a „soufflé“. Tarik says they were scared, he had to take antibiotics. But he’s fine now and trained normally on Monday. Tarik also talks about the 2 clay tournaments he played after Wimbledon, he doesn’t sound very happy about this scheduling, but Gael had already entered the tournaments before they started working together and he had to play them. It wasn’t that bad though since he beat Davydenko and Robredo.

(I don’t really see the problem, Gael likes clay and it seems the best surface on his body. I’m always scared he gets injured when he plays on hardcourts.)

·
Registered
701 Posts
(I don’t really see the problem, Gael likes clay and it seems the best surface on his body. I’m always scared he gets injured when he plays on hardcourts.)
you are right! i thought the same thing last night watching him play...he slides like it's clay.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I saw your report in Arnaud's forum :yeah: , glad to know Gael was great, the article in L'équipe today is very positive too. It sounds like it was a good show, with some "breathtaking" rallies and Gael played the big points a little bit better than Klizan who was trying crazy shots. Gael is happy about his game too.

(...) Comme un certain Gaël Monfils, qui engrange depuis Wimbledon (Stuttgart, Gstaad, Indianapolis). « C’est pourquoi je vais peut-être alléger mon programme d’ici l’US Open », prévenait- il déjà. Voyons d’abord ce que ça donne ici. Au regard de sa performance mardi soir contre Martin Klizan, « la Monf » (« Mawnf » en américain) a des raisons d’y croire. Pour sa première sortie dans la capitale états-unienne, il a assuré le spectacle face au jeu tout en cadence du jeune gaucher slovaque, dix-huit ans, 459e mondial, et vainqueur de Roland-Garros juniors en 2006. Au terme d’une partie émaillée d’échanges à couper le souffle, Monfils négocia un peu mieux les points importants que son adversaire. « J’ai fait un gros match, résuma-t-il après sa victoire en deux sets (7-6, 6-4). C’est toujours difficile de jouer contre un mec que vous ne connaissez pas. Il a tenté des trucs de “ouf”. Mais j’ai pu trouver la faille au bon moment. »

He plays Berrer tonight.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So would I, but it's a round too early, Eurosport will show the semi-finals.

Gael Monfils clinched his quarterfinal berth despite a lapse of concentration that nearly derailed his 6-7 (7-5), 6-3, 6-3 victory over Michael Berrer. Monfils stormed to a 5-3 lead in the opening set, but after squandering a set point, he took a mental holiday and proceeded to lose the set in a tiebreak.
While the sport's rulebook prohibits coaching during a match, Monfils's coach, Tarik Benhabiles, knows the power of body language and a few well-timed shouts, such as "Allez, La Monf'!" So Benhabiles spent the rest of the match urging him on, clenching his fists after bad plays and applauding after good ones.
Monfils responded instinctively, slathering his serve with even more power (he blasted one at a career-high 145 mph) and leaning more heavily on his forehand, which is equally explosive.
"If I'm calm, he fall asleep," Benhabiles said of his animated court-side behavior. "So I shake him up. I say: 'Wake up, man! You are sleeping! Wake up! Wake up! Be intense! Fight!'"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/02/AR2007080202570.html?hpid=sec-sports

1 - 20 of 52 Posts