Mens Tennis Forums banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts
Re: Suicide Tennis | WTF London - Post your Day 4 Picks! 4 players remain!

Day 4: Wawrinka
BU: Nadal

Day 4: Ferrer
BU: Nadal

Same logic of yesterday. Gutsy call, I need to make a different pick than the other, since I'm behind in the standings. I want to win the tournament and finish number #1, would be an epic run. All or nothing. :p

Besides, I think this is a 50-50 match, Wawrinka looked like in vacation mode already and Ferrer always plays hard.

Discussion starter · #105 ·

:grin2: You lost with Djokovic yesterday. But Edy. should not write "4 players remain!" before fonish of Federer-Djokovic match in the late evening.:)

Well, at that point there were 4 players remaining. :p

Well, game over for me. :p

I wanted to end ranked #1, so I needed to beat Hidalgo before the semis, then I gamble on Ferrer beating Wawrinka, the other option would've been picking Ferrer to bear Nadal on Day 6, but that would be more unlikely.

See you in the Australian Open. :wavey:

So it's just myself and Hidalgo left, let's do this. Hidalgo finishes #1 if he survives the group stages and I don't win the title; I finish #1 if I win the title and Hidalgo doesn't; Fargif ends #1 if Hidalgo doesn't survive the group stages and I don't win the title.

Day 5: Federer
BU: Berdych

I hope to lose, definitely rooting for Nishikori, but at least if my favorite player loses I secure a second consecutive top 5 YE finish (great achievement imo) and remain in contention for #1 for at least another day. Good luck @Hidalgo :D

Discussion starter · #111 ·
Re: Suicide Tennis | WTF London - Post your Day 5 Picks! Hidalgo vs Mark Lenders!

PLAYER INTERVIEW - BLACK FRIDAY

1. First of all, congrats on qualifying for the WTF! Was that your main goal at the beginning of the season?
It was definitely one of my main goals for this season, though I would say winning a grand slam was higher on my list.
2. What has been your proudest suicide moment of the season?
Getting to number one in the rankings
3. What has been your most dissappointing perfomance of the season?
Going out early at Roland Garros, when I had a chance to get the record for most ranking points.
4. Who would you like to see win the title, if not yourself?
Mark Lenders
5. Who do you think will win the actual tournament, and who do you think is the darkhorse?
I think Djokovic will win, and I think Nishikori is the darkhorse.
6. Do you like the idea of 16 players qualifying for the WTF, or would you prefer only 8 like in the actual tournament?
I like 16 players, the more players the more fun it is.
7. What is your main goal for the next season? Any particular tournaments you would like to do well in?
Get back to number one is my main goal, and winning any Grand Slam tournament would be great.
8. Which Grand Slam would you like to win the most?
Australian Open

Discussion starter · #112 ·
Re: Suicide Tennis | WTF London - Post your Day 5 Picks! Hidalgo vs Mark Lenders!

PLAYER INTERVIEW - FARGIF

1. First of all, congrats on qualifying for the WTF! Was that your main goal at the beginning of the season?
Thank you Edy. My main goal was qualifying for WTF.No slams, no masters , no titles period. Just WTF.
Since i dont have a Slam win, Wimbledon was a good tournament and with no suprises. Madrid win was unexpected.
I had one i missed. Hamburg, could of cost me. Paris was also bad. The matches were way too early.
I respect everyone who plays this game. So if anyone wins the title, he or she deserves it.
5. Who do you think will win the actual tournament, and who do you think is the darkhorse?
Stan. Hes the only one on a good day that can beat Nole.
6. Do you like the idea of 16 players qualifying for the WTF, or would you prefer only 8 like in the actual tournament?
Unlike real life, i like the 16. Plus the alternates. Keep it this way.
7. What is your main goal for the next season? Any particular tournaments you would like to do well in?
Qualifying for WTF like this year. Try and hold on for NÂş1, if i dont , try and regain it. Win a slam if possible.
RG.

Discussion starter · #113 · (Edited)

PLAYER INTERVIEW - MARK LENDERS

Thanks. No, qualifying to the WTF was sort of my minimum goal. My main goal was to win as many tournaments as possible and be ranked #1 - in the end, I won 2 tournaments (Madrid and Nice) and I'm currently #10 in the race, so I fell a big short of my main goal.
But all things considered 2015 has been a good year for me and I'm happy to have qualified for the World Tour Finals, it's been a year where many players had very consistent seasons and the point cutoff for WTF qualification was much higher than ever before. Even being #10, I'm just 820p off #1 so I believe I'm still very much in the mix.
The titles I won of course, in Madrid and Nice; it's always a nice feeling to go all the way in a tournament. Also the 14 weeks I spent ranked #1 during the year. My proudest achievement in this game ever though is being the quickest player to reach #1 after starting to play the game (excluding the first year of the game of course); started in Indian Wells 2014, became #1 after Kuala Lumpur 2014 (roughly 7 months).
3. What has been your most disappointing perfomance of the season?
This is a tough question since I believe there were quite a few tournaments where I could have done better this year. One that comes to mind is the Canada Masters, where I picked Isner on QF day and was planning to go with Djokovic in the SF and Murray in the F. Isner then wasted a lot of match points and lost to Chardy in a 3-tiebreak match. There's no guarantee the rest of the tournament would have panned out the same way had Isner won, but still I feel like I missed a big chance to win the title there and a lot of extra points by the narrowest of margins. More recently in Bercy, on day 2 I was hesitant between picking Sock and RBA, ended up going with Sock, wrong decision and my tournament was over... looking at how the rest of the tournament panned out, I think I could have gone far.
Also, I got to SF day of both Dubai and Wimbledon with Federer and Djokovic available. In Dubai I went with Djokovic winning the final, at Wimbledon I went with Federer, can't help but wish I had gone the other way round in both cases. It was especially disappointing at Wimbledon because I had won the tournament in 2014 and winning a Slam tournament in 2 consecutive years would have been really cool.
But ultimately, this is why playing Suicide Tennis is so fun: there's a chance of losing in every single day, there's always risk involved and even the best-laid plans can be derailed. If it was easy, it'd not be half as fun.
Well, Droog and The Fogmeister are the only two other participants that I know on a personal level/have chatted with outside of MTF, so I guess them - even through Droog only qualified by vulturing back-to-back ATP 500 events ;)
But being a top player myself for over a year, I know how hard it is to be a top player in this game and get the amount of points required to play this tournament - it's not the kind of game where you can do well by just looking at odds and picking the favorites every time and while luck plays a role sometimes you can't get 6k+ points out of sheer luck, it takes great tennis knowledge and a certain amount of dedication, even just to never forget to submit picks -, so I have great respect for everyone who managed to qualify and wish everyone the best of luck. Hopefully we have many winners, with me being one of them of course.
I think Ferrer is going to win the tournament and I also think everyone should pick him when he plays Djokovic or Murray on matchday 1, especially the 9 players ahead of me in the race ;) Failing that, obviously Djokovic is the prohibitive favorite to win this tournament but below that it's hard to predict, especially before seeing the groups. I could see any of the other players aside from Ferrer reach the SFs if things go right for them, especially considering that there are some questions marks regarding Murray's focus with the DC final approaching and Federer's form. I don't think this will be an easy tournament from a Suicide Tennis point of view
Well, I wouldn't have qualified this year if it was just an 8 player field so I guess I'm not the best person to answer this :p But looking at it from an unbiased point of view, I think it makes sense to have 16 players qualify. In the ATP, there's quite a gap in quality between the top few and the rest, if the #1 loses to the #16 it's quite a considerable upset; in ST, this is really not the case, the gap between the #1 and #16 isn't that big at all in terms of how good they are as ST players (and even in the rankings, only 1300 points separate #1 from #16 right now), not to mention the rankings are far more dynamic on a week-to-week basis. I think a 16-man field achieves the right balance between it still being very challenging to qualify for the tournament and allowing a lot of great players who are close to each other in 'skill' to take part.
My main goal is to win as many tournaments as possible and to return to #1 in the rankings and the tournaments I most want to do well in are of course the Slams, it'd be great to win at least one of the four Slams. Winning an ATP 500 would be cool too since I haven't won one yet: my 4 titles to date have been a Slam, a Masters 1000 and 2 ATP 250s. Of course winning the Olympics would also be great, especially considering the next chance to achieve that will only come in 2020 and who knows if I'll even be playing this game or posting on MTF at all at the time :p
Also, assuming I can stay in the top 10 after the WTF (it certainly won't be easy), I'll have been ranked inside the top 10 for 78 consecutive weeks and I'd definitely like to extend that streak as far as possible next year.
I'm aware that these are very difficult goals though; there are so many great players doing consistently well in this game right now that it will be a huge challenge to stay close to the top of the rankings. That's without even mentioning some legends of this game like Litotes or RoddickFan. (both former #1s with incredibly long stays in the top 10/5), who had a relatively poor 2015 by their standards but will surely be back to fight for the top ranking spots in 2016, and the possibility of new great players joining the game and hopefully my good friend and also a former #1 VamosRafaNadal making a return. I'm sure 2016 will be another fun Suicide Tennis year and I'm looking forward to it.
Well, I've already won Wimbledon in 2014 and was very close to doing it again in 2015, so one of the other 3 would be nice. The way I approach this game is to always focus on trying to win the next tournament, so I'm going to say the Australian Open since it's the next Slam. It'd be a great way to start 2016.

only 2 active players left!
Hidalgo and Mark Lenders! :clap2:

good luck to both.

Hidalgo, go all the way. :yeah:

@Mark Lenders So hard to cheer for you with those potshots.

Seriously though, good luck! Same to Hidalgo :hatoff:

7. What is your main goal for the next season?
Win a slam. Leapfrog Mark Lenders in the rankings. :devil:

Reactions: Mark Lenders
Discussion starter · #117 ·

PLAYER INTERVIEW - PAULXX23

I don't think I had one aside from trying to win each week. This season I learned of this game and other games on MTF and started playing.
Winning the Titles I did. I didn't know there was WTF for top 16, but apparently I had to win Paris to make it.
Probably RG. After winning b2b Masters I lost with Duckworth in R1 when he lost 2-0 set lead. Also in Dubai, where I had a strong feeling that RF would win but I didn't have confidence to pick him over Djoko.
Not sure. Whoever picks the same as I do.
Maybe things will change but I don't think anyone is in the form to seriously challenge Djokovic. For a darkhorse I'll say Berdych since I think he might be tough to play against. I wanna see everyone playing on a high level so there'll be some interesting matches.
I'll say 16
Probably to win some more titles.
AO I think

Discussion starter · #118 ·

PLAYER INTERVIEW - VITOR BM

End the year in top 10 and get the classification in WTF, that's what ended up happening. :)
The title in Wimbledon for sure, being a Grand Slam and being my first suicide title.
The year was very good in suicide. I was not dissapointed!
I confess that I have no preference, the best will win.
Novak Djokovic, it is really hum level above all players and the darkhouse I believe that is the Ferrer.
I like enough this year 16 players playing in the WTF, so more people can participate.
Repeat the good year, back to being the number one and perhaps be able to win some more Grand Slam.
Australian Open, which is a Grand Slam the short enough.

Discussion starter · #119 ·

PLAYER INTERVIEW - ZAUBER

Thank you. Yes it was.
I got lucky in the end and snug into second place from ninth I think in the last few tournaments
My luck failed me in the U.S. open when sock cramped up after being up two sets to sip I think
I have to look up who all is in but perhaps someone new would be nice.
I am the dark horse and who ever is number one now is the favorite.
16 is good mirroring the actual tournament is a silly reason in my not so humble opinion. For some other reason I don't mind 8 but the more the merrier up to 16 is good.
To make it into the final four in all grand slam tournaments.
The grand slam tournaments in which we don't follow the crazy schedule which some tournaments adapted. I am glad the U.S. open reverted to a sane schedule and we make only one pick in the quarter finals. Its silly to make more than two in my not so humble opinion.

Discussion starter · #120 ·

PLAYER INTERVIEW - HIDALGO

Thank you! My goal at the beginning of the season was ATP-1000 or GS title :)
I have title on Wimbledon! :bounce:
Two last tournaments: Basel and Paris. Probable I was too tired on the end of season like Anderson and Sock. :(
Hope all 16 players will win the title here :rocker2:
Djokovic will win title and Ferrer is darkhorse :angel:
Yes, the idea of 16 players qualifying for the WTF is wonderful. :cheer:
I will think about goals after finish of the current season. :D
Roland Garros :bigwave:

101 - 120 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.