Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suicide Tennis Rules & Questions

What Is Suicide Tennis?
The game of Suicide Tennis is the challenge to find one winner each day of play in an ATP tournament, with the extra challenge that once your pick loses you’re out, and any one player can only help you advance on a single occasion. One tournament will be held each week there are ATP tournaments held. We always choose the most important ATP tournament that week or put up a poll between choices if there are more than one in the same category.

The rules. Main points are the rules given in every ST tournament threads, with subpoints given in between for clarity:

1. Each day of play you must pick 1 winner playing an ATP main draw singles match. The player you choose must be on the tournament OOP for that day.
1.1 Tournaments will almost always start on Monday. Exceptions:
1.1.1 Tournaments with only one MD match played on Monday will have a Tuesday start.
1.1.2 Indian Wells and Miami will start mid-week, when MD matches start.
1.2 Note there is no exception that will make for a Sunday start, regardless of how many MD matches are played that day.

2. Once you pick someone, you cannot choose them again for the rest of the tournament. So, you don't want to waste your pick on Federer or Nadal to win in early round matches.

2.1 If you have picked someone who you didn’t get to use, either because he simply wasn’t on the OOP that day or because he received a WO (see rule 4) then this player is not regarded as picked and can be used later. Also, unused BUs are free to be used again.

3. You must choose one player to win each day. If you forget or are unable to reach a computer, it will be treated as a wrong pick, and you will be out of the tournament. You have to submit your own pick, no one else can submit a pick on your behalf.

3.1 If you know beforehand you cannot access MTF all week then you are allowed to pick several days ahead. For example, on Tuesday you can pick for both Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at the same time, and still be alive on Saturday if all three picks were successful. Use this format:
Day x: Winner
BU:
Day x+1: Winner
BU:
….et cetera

4. Each Player shall submit a back-up pick at the same time they submit your main pick. This pick will only be used in the case of a walkover or withdrawal of your main pick, a walkover from your main pick's opponent, or in the case a Lucky Loser replaces your main pick's opponent. Retirements do count as completed matches. If 1 point is played the match will be considered in play and your pick is valid.

Replacement picks must be identified like this:
Back-Up Pick - Andy Roddick
Make it clear and try to do it all in one post!

4.1 In case both your main pick and the back-up are involved in WO matches then you are eliminated

5. No commitments are necessary! If you wish to participate, just post your Day 1 pick before start of play day 1. New players are ALWAYS welcome!

6. Once the order of play is released, it will be added IN THIS THREAD, right below, to facilitate your choices. Each day, this post will be updated with its respective order of play.

NOTE: You can't pick a player from a match scheduled for the previous day and postponed for the next due to rain or darkness! Choose only from the matches posted in the OOP here for the concrete day!

6.1 It is not necessary to wait for the OOP to be added in the thread, if you know yourself who is playing you can pick immediately

7. Picks will be acceptable until before the start of the FIRST match each day.

7.1 This does not mean the official deadline, but the time at which the first point is played. So typically 11.10, not 11.00. If there is a rain delay this will give players more time to pick

8. The scoring system will be as follows:
(See specification in next post)

9. Never edit your pick. If you change your mind, you must first "quote" your original pick in a new post and enter your new pick there.

9.1 Editing your pick can throw the manager off if he's already registered your first version. A new post will more easily be discovered.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Specification of the scoring system for different categories of tournaments:

The Slams:

Australian Open, French Open and US Open:
Losing Pick on Day 1: 1
Losing Pick on Day 2: 15
Losing Pick on Day 3: 35
Losing Pick on Day 4: 85
Losing Pick on Day 5: 140
Losing Pick on Day 6: 240
Losing Pick on Day 7: 350
Losing Pick on Day 8: 520
Losing Pick on Day 9: 710
Losing Pick on Day 10: 960
Losing Pick on Day 11: 1250
Losing Pick on Day 12: 1600
Winning the title: 2000

Wimbledon:
Losing Pick on Day 2: 20
Losing Pick on Day 3: 50
Losing Pick on Day 4: 110
Losing Pick on Day 5: 180
Losing Pick on Day 6: 300
Losing Pick on Day 7: 430
Losing Pick on Day 8: 750
Losing Pick on Day 9: 1100
Losing Pick on Day 10: 1500
Winning the title: 2000

Previous US Open (if they go back to 13 days)
Losing Pick on Day 2: 10
Losing Pick on Day 3: 25
Losing Pick on Day 4: 45
Losing Pick on Day 5: 90
Losing Pick on Day 6: 145
Losing Pick on Day 7: 240
Losing Pick on Day 8: 350
Losing Pick on Day 9: 520
Losing Pick on Day 10: 710
Losing Pick on Day 11: 960
Losing Pick on Day 12: 1250
Losing Pick on Day 13: 1600
Winning the Title: 2000

The Masters

Miami and Indian Wells:
Losing Pick on Day 2: 10
Losing Pick on Day 3: 25
Losing Pick on Day 4: 50
Losing Pick on Day 5: 80
Losing Pick on Day 6: 130
Losing Pick on Day 7: 200
Losing Pick on Day 8: 280
Losing Pick on Day 9: 400
Losing Pick on Day 10: 550
Losing Pick on Day 11: 750
Winning the title: 1000

A one-week Masters:
Losing Pick on Day 3: 40
Losing Pick on Day 4: 90
Losing Pick on Day 6: 340
Losing Pick on Day 7: 600
Winning the title: 1000

The lesser tournaments:

Regular ATP500s:
Losing pick on Day 1: 1
Losing pick on Day 2: 10
Losing pick on Day 3: 25
Losing pick on Day 4: 50
Losing pick on Day 5: 100
Losing pick on Day 6: 180
Losing pick on Day 7: 300
Winning the title : 500

ATP500 with Saturday final:
Losing Pick on Day 3: 45
Losing Pick on Day 4: 100
Losing Pick on Day 6: 300
Winning the title: 500

Regular ATP250s:
Losing Pick on Day 2: 5
Losing Pick on Day 3: 15
Losing Pick on Day 4: 35
Losing Pick on Day 5: 60
Losing Pick on Day 6: 95
Losing Pick on Day 7: 150
Winning the title: 250

ATP250 with a Saturday final (or a Tuesday start)
Losing Pick on Day 2: 5
Losing Pick on Day 3: 20
Losing Pick on Day 4: 45
Losing Pick on Day 5: 90
Losing Pick on Day 6: 150
Winning the title: 250

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Crystal clear rules now. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have asked on WTA Suicide, the answer was not.
For Example:
Hobart - 2014 - Day 1 Matches:

Roberta Vinci vs Sara Errani
Daniela Hantuchova vs Alja Tomljanovic
Madison Keys vs. Simona Halep

Day 1 Match Results:

Tomljanovic def. [LL] Mandy Minella (Minella replaces Hantuchova in the main draw, due to her withdrawal)
Sara Errani def. Roberta Vinci
Madison Keys def. Simon Halep
My choice:
Day1 Alja Tomljanovic
Back-Up Simona Halep

Whether there will be I in the second round?
Thanks in advance
What answer by these rules?

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have asked on WTA Suicide, the answer was not.

What answer by these rules?
Same answer here. You picking Tomljanovic is in reality picking Tomljanovic to beat Hantuchova. Since this match never happened your BU comes into play.

This is a situation that could be put to a poll in the off season, though, whether players want their early picks to imply beating their allotted opponent or a LL. But you know, at some point we will get a situation where the player do not want this. For example: Player in weak form plays local WC in Monte Carlo, and gets picked because the local WC is ranked very low. The local WC then withdraws and in comes a dangerous LL....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
You picking Tomljanovic is in reality picking Tomljanovic to beat Hantuchova.
It not so.
I could write
Day1 Tomljanovic def Hantuchova
But has written
Day1 Tomljanovic
It supposed
Day1 Tomljanovic def everyone

I regret, that interpretation of my pick illogical.
I shall use the full form.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the mandatory tournaments?
Are they they the slams and Masters?
thank you
Yes, slams and Masters are mandatory. All four slams will count towards your ranking no matter the result, as will the best eight out of nine Masters. So you can afford to miss out on one of the latter. Ofc, there is no punishment for missing out on more apart from getting 0 ranking points.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
What is the ruling on duplicate picks (ie. someone picked a player on Day 1 then again on Day 4). Does the back-up get activated because the Day 4 pick was not valid or is the player dead?

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the ruling on duplicate picks (ie. someone picked a player on Day 1 then again on Day 4). Does the back-up get activated because the Day 4 pick was not valid or is the player dead?
We allow for the backup to come into play in such situations (I answered your PM also).

·
Administrator
10,777 Posts
awesomedude has told me that he is very sick. I will take over management in Montpellier this week. Just making sure that this is allowed. Don't see why it wouldn't be but just making sure.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesomedude has told me that he is very sick. I will take over management in Montpellier this week. Just making sure that this is allowed. Don't see why it wouldn't be but just making sure.
Sure, take over from here.

And wish him a speedy recovery from me. I hope it's not too serious.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Will there be a new suicide tennis on Monday? I forgot to enter the USO, so I hope I don't have to wait 2 weeks for another tournament.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Sorry only after US open. Metz and St Petersburgh.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^
Yes, as Fargif said.

We play only ATP tournaments and there are no new ones 2nd week of slams.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts