Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berrettini showing some nice tennis on grass, FH and serve in stellar form. He reached 4th final in last 12 months and 2nd one without getting broken at all.
If he wins tomorrow and FAA doesn't break him, it surely must be some record, I don't remember anyone winning 2 tournaments without being broken.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Berrettini showing some nice tennis on grass, FH and serve in stellar form. He reached 4th final in last 12 months and 2nd one without getting broken at all.
If he wins tomorrow and FAA doesn't break him, it surely must be some record, I don't remember anyone winning 2 tournaments without being broken.
Federer won Cincinnati in both 2012 and 2015 without being broken

·
Registered
404 Posts
Berrettini's BH slice was very effective in this match, totally exposed Struff's footwork and drew a lot of errors.

3rd final of the year, it surprises me that he's ranked so high when he hasn't done anything notable at 500/1000/GS level (apart from beating walking bye Zverev) but I guess being consistent at 250s explains it: from next week he'll have at least 995 points from 250 tournaments, which will account for around 71% of his points total. And he'll be ranked at #25, #21 if he wins. Crazy that the ranking system still works this way but it is what it is.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Berrettini's BH slice was very effective in this match, totally exposed Struff's footwork and drew a lot of errors.

3rd final of the year, it surprises me that he's ranked so high when he hasn't done anything notable at 500/1000/GS level (apart from beating walking bye Zverev) but I guess being consistent at 250s explains it: from next week he'll have at least 995 points from 250 tournaments, which will account for around 71% of his points total. And he'll be ranked at #25, #21 if he wins. Crazy that the ranking system still works this way but it is what it is.
Still the way the ranking system works only a maximum of 6 250s can be taken into account. Only 18 tournaments count per season. The 4 slams the 8 masters except MC and 6 others. So if you win 6 250 and don’t get more points in any of the 500s or MC you can accumulate a maximum of 1500 points through 250s. That said the ranking system could be much worse if it simply counted everything you play.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts

It's a legitimate way to earn your rank, but it doesn't usually get you very far in masters and slams, given their higher level of opposition overall.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Nothing strange in his ranking. We are talking about player that is rapidly and constantly progressing. He is only 1 year in top 100.
So for such player, with very limited points to defend from previous year each win counts.
He is right now in exponential growth so ranking will keep shooting and in few months we will see if he will stop or go even higher.

What I saw, I would advice all higher ranked players to take note about this guy. He is already real danger, not afraid at all to win and has superb skills. He is real deal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good game from Berettini, the guy looks really dangerous on multiple surfaces... I mean Struff didn't even play bad, just his serve was a bit lackluster in the second set. But Berettini gave him no chances. Definitely cheering for him in the final tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts