Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
MONSOON season.
81,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really great grass match :yeah: Glad to see Groth take it on his second MP.

Only one point in that third-set tie-break was not on serve, and it proved critical.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Re: Stuttgart R16: Groth d Lopez 3-6 7-6 7-6

Whoa. I expected Lopez to win this one easily. :eek:

Congrats Groth.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Only watch the end of the third set.

I don’t what surprised me the most:
1: The break-point-o-rams in the first set.
2: The fact that in the 3rd set tie break, only 2/16 returns were missed (only ONE point went against serve). One was the ace on MP, the other was second serve miss from Groth.

Good for Groth, Lopez’ poor season continues.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Lopez had a bunch of playable points in the second tie-break, but didn't go beyond the return on any of them. Enjoyable to watch, other than that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Well this is disappointing. Groth's shot on the baseline to get the mini-break in the 3rd set TB was good though. Shame, grass-Feli is a great thing to see when he's going well.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts

fuck you lopez

·
Registered
10,559 Posts

·
Registered
4,566 Posts

Groth sure has made the best of his tough draw. Lopez is overrated by his ranking most of the time, but definitely not on grass. Great win. :yeah:

·
Bring it Home
20,351 Posts

And last year when I said Lopez is a servebot-pusher hybrid, some rabid tards raged at me. :lol:

Exposed in the baseline by Groth! :haha:

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts

more talented player won ;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

And last year when I said Lopez is a servebot-pusher hybrid, some rabid tards raged at me. :lol:

Exposed in the baseline by Groth! :haha:
Honestly, a servebot-pusher hybrid would be unbeatable. Imagine Isner with Murray groundgame.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts

Big win for Groth. :yeah: :yeah: Even bigger serving. :eek: :eek: Peak grass court tennis. :worship: :worship:

Second and third set... insane serving stats... 100% after first serve in 9 games in a row... Clutch stuff in tie breaks and that was it.

·
Bring it Home
20,351 Posts

Not a good omen for Lopez but still it seems like a close match (also please add the score of the TBs).
5 and 6, both ended with an ace. :cool:

Honestly, a servebot-pusher hybrid would be unbeatable. Imagine Isner with Murray groundgame.
Well, but I'm not talking about an elite servebot with also the game of an elite pusher.

Lopez is in the middle of the pack in both categories. :cool:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Grass makes for the most aesthetically pleasing tennis, but it just exacerbates my problems with the scoring system. A higher percentage of points goes to the server than on any other surface, which leads to a lack of differentiation in the score even when one player is dominating. Lopez lost three points on serve in the second set while winning 14 against Groth's, and his reward was...having to win a game of roulette, where one low bounce at 5-all wound up being the difference.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Lopez exposed. He's not going to be able to defend those grass points from last year.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Grass makes for the most aesthetically pleasing tennis, but it just exacerbates my problems with the scoring system. A higher percentage of points goes to the server than on any other surface, which leads to a lack of differentiation in the score even when one player is dominating. Lopez lost three points on serve in the second set while winning 14 against Groth's, and his reward was...having to win a game of roulette, where one low bounce at 5-all wound up being the difference.
I agree with this. One pressure point in 6-6 *5-5 will decide the whole set even if the set was dominated by the other one earlier. Grass matches involve a bit too much serve and luck imo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts