Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
great win for felix but unless dustin has one of those days where he misses every other shot i cant see felix winning that one just yet

·
Registered
479 Posts
Excellent match from Felix overall except when serving at 4-3 up a break in both sets only to lose his break leads. In the first set and up 4-3, he missed all his first serves and made UEs to get broken to love. Not sure if it was really nerves.. maybe a lack of focus.

Anyway, he's already exceeded my expectations and any other wins at this point are gravy.

Great opportunity for him to reach the semi but Brown won't be easy and can be a tricky opponent for him. Good odds for an all Canadian semi-final as Raonic will also be favorite in his QF match.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Excellent match from Felix overall except when serving at 4-3 up a break in both sets only to lose his break leads. In the first set and up 4-3, he missed all his first serves and made UEs to get broken to love. Not sure if it was really nerves.. maybe a lack of focus.

Anyway, he's already exceeded my expectations and any other wins at this point are gravy.

Great opportunity for him to reach the semi but Brown won't be easy and can be a tricky opponent for him. Good odds for an all Canadian semi-final as Raonic will also be favorite in his QF match.
raonic is the favorite for sure but i definitely would not call felix the favorite against brown. brown's game is taylor made for grass so if he's on then he is definitely the favorite and i'd be surprised if felix won that one against brown playing well. but brown is very hit and miss and if he has an off day felix can win

·
Registered
479 Posts
https://twitter.com/ilantennis/status/1139209653819232257

but this is an example of the line judging here. just shocking
That was indeed a horrible call...no excuse for the line judge or umpire to both miss that one. However, Simon should not have thrown away his last challenge in frustration when he got broken the previous game. He challenged a ball that was a good 6 inches out to blow his last challenge.

·
Registered
479 Posts
raonic is the favorite for sure but i definitely would not call felix the favorite against brown. brown's game is taylor made for grass so if he's on then he is definitely the favorite and i'd be surprised if felix won that one against brown playing well. but brown is very hit and miss and if he has an off day felix can win
I know Brown is an excellent grass court player when he's on and can pretty much beat anyone on his best day. However, there's also a reason he's ranked #170 in the world and plays mostly at the challenger level...he's just not consistent enough. I watched his great performance against Nadal back in 2015 only to get knocked out in the next round. Here taking out the #1 seed it wouldn't surprise me if he plays poorly in his following match against Felix.

We will see tomorrow...right now odds makers have Felix as a pretty heavy favorite to win at 1.44.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
I know Brown is an excellent grass court player when he's on and can pretty much beat anyone on his best day. However, there's also a reason he's ranked #170 in the world and plays mostly at the challenger level...he's just not consistent enough. I watched his great performance against Nadal back in 2015 only to get knocked out in the next round. Here taking out the #1 seed it wouldn't surprise me if he plays poorly in his following match against Felix.

We will see tomorrow...right now odds makers have Felix as a pretty heavy favorite to win at 1.44.
I envision Dustin as a bad matchup for Felix on grass because he takes a lot of time away from you and Ali likes to have time to set up his shots. I could be wrong, though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I envision Dustin as a bad matchup for Felix on grass because he takes a lot of time away from you and Ali likes to have time to set up his shots. I could be wrong, though.
I think Brown can be a bad match up for pretty much any player when he's on. I'm only questioning the consistency of his game. What I've seen from Felix in his career is that he tends to struggle more against consistent players who make him play the extra shot and keep UEs to a minimum (For example, a Nishioka type of player).

We'll have the answers tomorrow. Either way I'm happy with his performance this tournament regardless of tomorrow's result. He made the most of his generous draw.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts

i agree he's very inconsistent. thats why he is where he is but there's no doubt he's the favorite tomorrow if he shows up. dont really care to much about what odds makers say

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
Regardless of what happens tomorrow I think we can all agree winning his first two grass matches in straights is already a huge thing. Especially since he didn't go against two teens, but guys who have played their fare share in this surface. No shame in going out to Dreddy.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
I think Brown can be a bad match up for pretty much any player when he's on. I'm only questioning the consistency of his game. What I've seen from Felix in his career is that he tends to struggle more against consistent players who make him play the extra shot and keep UEs to a minimum (For example, a Nishioka type of player).

We'll have the answers tomorrow. Either way I'm happy with his performance this tournament regardless of tomorrow's result. He made the most of his generous draw.
Even when he is on, I would see a Simon, Murray or Federer as a good matchup.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
15 aces in two sets? Never thought Felix could serve that well even on grass...

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
Federer and Murray don't have many bad matchups on grass...haha :nerd: As for Simon, I've never been a fan of his style to be honest. I was expecting him to give Felix a lot more problems.
I didn't say Dustin was simply a non bad matchup to them, I said he was a good matchup. I'm not a fan of Simon either, just saying his style counters Dustin style, and there is tennis style and there is level of play, different things which play a part in the outcome of a given match. I interpret matchups on the basis of tennis styles. If Nadal was a mug barely in the top 100, Federer probably would have won all of their encounters, but I'd still say Nadal to be a bad matchup for Fed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts