Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
for the 3rd time in 8 weeks struff defeats shapovalov. 2nd time in a row in straight sets. his strong season continues.

as for shapovalov..has he had any good result this year aside from miami? i cant remember one.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Struff is officially Shapo’s new nemesis, 3 losses in 2 months with each being more one-sided than the previous. Not something you would usually expect for a young player, he’s certainly low on confidence now and needs to change something.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Shapovalov was the bookies favourite. :lol:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Struffs serve was close to impeccable, that was it basically. Denis didn't play badly at all, which is what's important for me.
Also, Struff is playing the best tennis of his entire career atm. He is 28. Just a bit of perspective.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
Struff is an up-and-coming talent (and a late bloomer), but Shapovalov doesn't seem to be even competitive against Gen Useless these past months...

Also, Struff is playing the best tennis of his entire career atm. He is 28. Just a bit of perspective.
Struff was born in April 1990, so he is 29, in tennis terms almost 30.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sad for Denis. His career is collapsing. OTOH, Felix won his first pro match and goes forward.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
for the 3rd time in 8 weeks struff defeats shapovalov. 2nd time in a row in straight sets. his strong season continues.

as for shapovalov..has he had any good result this year aside from miami? i cant remember one.
I mean when you honestly think about it, he's really only had two notable tournament runs since his USO run in 2017: Miami 2019 and Madrid 2018.

Actually thought Denis would win this match...guess I was the wrong.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
I mean when you honestly think about it, he's really only had two notable tournament runs since his USO run in 2017: Miami 2019 and Madrid 2018.

Actually thought Denis would win this match...guess I was the wrong.
yeah, i mean...he is still only 20 so im not gonna be like some people and write him off, that would be stupid.however this is someone who has gotten as mcuh hype as the likes of tsitsipas and zverev and yet has accomplished a fraction of what they have. he's still yet to even make a final..on any level

maybe this will quite things down about him and maybe thats a good thing. i honestly thought expectations of him were way to high

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No, I don't think expectations were too high. He should be achieving the same results as Felix, if not better. But he hasn't. Doesn't mean he won't. Denis isn't mentally tough the way Felix is, and he's not as patient. I won't get into the coaching issue because we've been there before, but until someone disciplines him he won't have much of a career. He'll always be on the fringe of achieving what he should but never crossing over.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hasn't been the best 2019 for Denis.

I think a lot of his issues are mental. He's got some maturing to do and definitely needs to improve his in-game tactics.

He's in a slump right now, but hopefully it won't drag out much longer.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well I was hoping the early exit at the french would give enough time for Denis to regroup for the grass season but the issues continue on grass. Stuff isn't exactly the opponent you want to face in the first round...especially after losing to him twice this year already. At this point, he really needs a decent draw to rebuild some confidence.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts