Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Stuttgart Final: Berrettini def. Aliassime 6-4 7-6(13-11)

pretty much the result i think everyone expected. first set matteo broke early and felix just never even threatened to get it back. felix held on, mainly because of his serve early in the 2nd set where he saved several break points.tiebreaker was basically servebotting by both. felix had a set point but got robbed on a terrible line call.

feel bad for felix. he deserved a third but the line calling here has been nothing short of embarrassing all week . he will win a title eventually if he keeps putting himself in these situations

congrats to matteo. his game works really well on this surface. he could be really dangerous at wimbledon

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Tough loss in a final again for Felix. Had multiple set points and fought off match points but couldn't get it done.

That first title will come, I just want him to get it as an 18 year old lol

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Berrettini a deserving winner for sure (his serve has improved so much in so little time), but that brutal line call on set point in the TB cost us a 3rd set in this one.

FAA was far better than anybody could have hoped/imagined on this surface. Great things ahead.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Insane Tie-Break, Felix would have won the set if the linesman wouldn't have made a fault... Still happy for Matteo, he played an insanely good tournament.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tough loss in a final again for Felix. Had multiple set points and fought off match points but couldn't get it done.

That first title will come, I just want him to get it as an 18 year old lol
Not much time left, will he play in Atlanta?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,636 Posts
TB was probably 75% direct pts off serve. Felix a bit unfortunate not to win the 2nd set TB given his fairly gutsy plays (though two early approaches were poor) but Berrettini matched him almost the whole way with his serve.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
FAA got robbed in the second set.

And I really don't like Berrettini... no wonder the crowd was against him today.
German crowd would hardly cheer an Italian

You don't like his game or attitude?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Really high level in that tiebreak especially regarding serve. Even contest except for the start of the match. Great tournament from Berrettini, I like his attitude, which he needed in order to win this in two, next to a bit of luck on that line call.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matches won: 5
Sets dropped: 0
Service games dropped: 0
Break points faced: 2 (!)

Cool stuff.
Scary form ahead of Wimbledon, thought he was disappointing at Roland Garros but could reach the second week of Wimbledon for sure.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Expected result. Felix was a little unlucky with a bad call during the TB. He lost his focus momentarily, conceding a MB immediately after. But all in all Berrettini was the better player and totally deserved to win. He had a stellar week and this match was no exception. Did absolutely nothing wrong. Showed good net skills and the slice was vastly superior to his opponent's. One of those stretches when everything aligns. Congrats to him!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dam can't believe Felix got robbed twice in that 2nd set TB. 1st occasion technically his own fault, missing a winning 1st serve by less than a millimeter after Hawkeye review, but the 2nd time was waaaay worse. Why on earth do friking linespeople make out calls (esp on such huge occasions) when they're NOT 100% sure it's out? I honestly don't understand these stupid calls, the ball was clearly in...and Berretini (+ his whole team) KNEW the call didn't affect his shot, yet still wanted to replay the point which is complete bs.

Tough way to end it but what an incredible achievement it is for Felix to make the finals of his 1st ever grass pro tournament. But Berrettini is a deserving winner after playing one of the best weeks of his life, well done to him.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
FAA is passing Shapovalov right bye. Too bad. Denis wanted, so badly, to be Canada's Golden boy, but his career has stalled. Oh, well.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts