Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres a thread with embarassing experiences we've had with players, and if theres one similar to this, please delete this thread. But I was wondering what stupid things you've seen other people (tennis and non-tennis fans) do at a tournament.

At the Aus Open this year, during Ferrero's warm-up before his match against Jones, he was practising on the same court he'd be playing on. This woman was sitting in the row behind me, and was talking to her husband, saying how much she couldn't wait to see Ferrero, and how he was her favourite player at the moment. All this occured while JC was practising right in front of her. After 15 mins had passed, she asked me who was practicing, and refused to believe me when I told her it was JC (he was practising with Monaco, but she didn't care about that). Once his match started and she realised I was right, she finally admitted she was wrong.

Also, during Monaco's practise session, a parent got their kid to give Monaco a picture of Carlos Moya to sign. I had to inform them that they were not watching Moya, but Monaco. They then walked off without getting any autographs.

At David Ferrer's match against Spadea, one woman sitting behind me was yelling out 'Go Juan Carlos.' I didn't say anything for about 20 minutes because I thought it was funny, but then I thought I'd save her any further humiliation and tell her that Ferrer and Ferrero were different people. Of course, she didn't believe me, even after I showed her my Aus Open guidebook and the pictures of both players. Apparently the scoreboard made a spelling mistake. So she continued yelling out Go Juan Carlos for about another half an hour (thankfully she wasn't very loud, so I don't think too many people heard). Then once Ferrero's match against Nalbandian finished, we got the result on the scoreboard during change of ends, and I pointed out to her that Ferrero had just won on Rod Laver Arena. She shut up after that.

I'm sure there are many more stories about idiotic people, and I'd love to hear them. Again, sorry if there is a similar thread.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
These people running up to the court and saying there's Tommy Haas training.

The only thing was the guy that was Tommy Haas was actually Federer training with Arnaud di Pasquale, this was the year after he won Wimbledon for the first time.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Thanks for sharing these stories. They are hilarious. :rolls:

At the Hopman Cup (very late 2006) when Philippoussis defeated Tursunov...I saw this old lady a few rows in front of me walk right forward next to the camera man, about two metres away from Mark and started taking several photos. :tape: :eek:

·
124,506 Posts
Another favourite of mine are the idiotic fanboys and fangirls.

Here are a couple of experiences, I will tell the other one later. One I was wanting to get into watch Rosset and Henman play on a show court and for some reason the court was chockers full. For a court so full there was no sound at all, no cheering, no nothing.

I said Ok I am going to wait this out and then I find out what the problem is. I speak to the usher and I find out that Kournikova is playing a doubles match which is 4th on and the Rosset match was 2nd, then a womens match.

In other words these undersexed knobjockeys had waited all this time on the court and didn't give a crap about the tennis and only joined the cheering when Rosset was about to win.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Oh and on many occasions there's been many "tennis experts" sitting around me who think they know everything about tennis and get all these simple facts wrong. :help:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Another favourite of mine are the idiotic fanboys and fangirls.

Here are a couple of experiences, I will tell the other one later. One I was wanting to get into watch Rosset and Henman play on a show court and for some reason the court was chockers full. For a court so full there was no sound at all, no cheering, no nothing.

I said Ok I am going to wait this out and then I find out what the problem is. I speak to the usher and I find out that Kournikova is playing a doubles match which is 4th on and the Rosset match was 2nd, then a womens match.

In other words these undersexed knobjockeys had waited all this time on the court and didn't give a crap about the tennis and only joined the cheering when Rosset was about to win.
:rolls: And it was only a doubles match. :p

·
124,506 Posts
:rolls: And it was only a doubles match. :p
I have plenty of them.

I convinced someone that the former South African cricketer Hansie Cronje was Pete Sampras.

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
I don't have much material for here, as it's about 'other people' and the players I like are so obscure nobody knows or cares who they are [unless they know me, in which case they pretend to, very well]. Watching Jim Thomas train...having people say it is Ljubicic [due to the baldness] or Isner [due to the height].

I really can't go past the 'I want your babies' yelled at Nadal. Then there's the mofo tennis player who hit a ball into my neck. By accident but he's still a mofo.

My mother asking John Isner for a photo when he was in the middle of his match.

Some asian woman [not important, but sets the scene for the fashion] wearing a gigantic visor, and not thinking to lift it before drinking her beer. It was a strange incident, I don't know how she didn't wear it.

Indian fans frolicking on a tennis court during a rain delay. They had been playing cricket with an umbrella and a neck cooler thing, but got some photos on the court. The police walked by, and this was cool with them.

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
Then there is this guy, from the rain delay in Melbourne this year:

Yep. That's a smurf. At least he had the legs for it.

Reactions: partygirl

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
A few years ago, Mark Philippoussis was appearing at the Boodles and Dunthorne Exhibition tournament, which is a warm up to Wimbledon. It is a very intimate, "garden-party" event where all the players wander around and chat to the spectators with no security. There was a group of middle-aged ladies there, all rather the worse for champagne and Pimms. When Mark P. appeared, one ran over to him and asked for an autograph. She then produced a photo from her handbag and gave it to him. "That's my daughter" she said. "She's very pretty isn't she? Her phone number is on the back. Would you call her and ask her out on a date?" A rather embarrassed Mark muttered that he already had a girlfriend and wasn't looking for another. Undeterred, the lady said, "OK - I understand - so you just don't like young girls. I have a son too you know! Would you like to see a picture of him?" And then finally added rather desparately..... "And if you prefer older ladies, I am always available!" :lol:

Poor Mark - he was trtying so hard to get away without appearing too rude. He was actually really ermbarrassed by the whole thing :eek:

·
Same as it ever was
20,587 Posts
The elderly lady sitting behind me at the Koubek v Moya match this year who I heard say "Koubek? I've never head of him... I've heard of Koubekacic"

WTF? :silly:

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
A few years ago, Mark Philippoussis was appearing at the Boodles and Dunthorne Exhibition tournament, which is a warm up to Wimbledon. It is a very intimate, "garden-party" event where all the players wander around and chat to the spectators with no security. There was a group of middle-aged ladies there, all rather the worse for champagne and Pimms. When Mark P. appeared, one ran over to him and asked for an autograph. She then produced a photo from her handbag and gave it to him. "That's my daughter" she said. "She's very pretty isn't she? Her phone number is on the back. Would you call her and ask her out on a date?" A rather embarrassed Mark muttered that he already had a girlfriend and wasn't looking for another. Undeterred, the lady said, "OK - I understand - so you just don't like young girls. I have a son too you know! Would you like to see a picture of him?" And then finally added rather desparately..... "And if you prefer older ladies, I am always available!" :lol:

Poor Mark - he was trtying so hard to get away without appearing too rude. He was actually really ermbarrassed by the whole thing :eek:

:spit: :haha: :haha: :silly:

·
Registered
7,894 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts

:haha: :haha: :haha:

:worship:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have plenty of them.

I convinced someone that the former South African cricketer Hansie Cronje was Pete Sampras.
And current south African cricket, Graeme Smith can pass off as Federer to an extent.

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
Great stories! :yeah:

I've seen so many people do so many stupid things at tournaments that I wouldn't know where to begin. :rolls: Most of them are like Juanqui Lover's stories and the people have no clue who the players are, and PMK where people just go berserk when they see one of their favorites and start jumping up and down and chasing after them (which is okay for kids, but when adults do it... :eek: :lol:)

But I'll pick on myself too. ;)

I was in Cincy in 2005, and Nico was practicing with Ollie Rochus. I was standing at the side court fence, taking pixs of Nico so didn't see that one of Ollie's serves was coming right at me, and bonk! Hits me right on the side of the head. I was like, geez thanks Ollie! :lol:

So the ball is right there by me, and it might have been becuase Tommy Haas had that freak accident where he stepped on the ball but all I remember was that I didn't want to roll it back on to the court, Nico not see it, and step on it, so I lean wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over the fence (I'm short), I'm sure my butt was in the air :lol:, and gently place the ball back down on the court.

As I straighten up, I see Nico just standing there looking at me with this amused look on his face. :lol: And he says, gracias, and starts to laugh.

I wanted to say, screw you Massu, but it was funny, so I just smiled and kind of waved, yeah de nada. And went back to the stands and tried to hide. :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Great stories! :yeah:

I've seen so many people do so many stupid things at tournaments that I wouldn't know where to begin. :rolls: Most of them are like Juanqui Lover's stories and the people have no clue who the players are, and PMK where people just go berserk when they see one of their favorites and start jumping up and down and chasing after them (which is okay for kids, but when adults do it... :eek: :lol:)

But I'll pick on myself too.

I was in Cincy in 2005, and Nico was practicing with Ollie Rochus. I was standing at the side court fence, taking pixs of Nico so didn't see that one of Ollie's serves was coming right at me, and bonk! Hits me right on the side of the head. I was like, geez thanks Ollie! :lol:

So the ball is right there by me, and it might have been becuase Tommy Haas had that freak accident where he stepped on the ball but all I remember was that I didn't want to roll it back on to the court, Nico not see it, and step on it, so I lean wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over the fence (I'm short), I'm sure my butt was in the air :lol:, and gently place the ball back down on the court.

As I straighten up, I see Nico just standing there looking at me with this amused look on his face. :lol: And he says, gracias, and starts to laugh.

I wanted to say, screw you Massu, but it was funny, so I just smiled and kind of waved, yeah de nada. And went back to the stands and tried to hide. :eek: :lol:
That's cute, actually :lol:

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
That's cute, actually :lol:
It was funny. :)

And I have to clarify. When Nico laughed, it wasn't a mean laugh. He sees me at all his tournaments when he comes to the northeastern part of the U.S. and had just seen me in DC. And he's always very nice to me. It just was funny, and other people were smiling too. :lol:

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
A couple of things happened at the USO 2007 when David Nalbandian was playing David Ferrer. Firstly, there were some Spanish ladies in front of me and my dad who kept on cheering "David". A lot of other people did this as well, I thought it was pretty funny.

The second thing wasn't funny at all, there was this old, fat dude sitting behind me and a guy that was sitting behind him was taking pictures of the match. Suddenly the old guy starts yelling : "Stop taking pictures, it's giving me a headache" and threatens to break the camera and shove his walking cane up the ass of the other guy. What a jerk! He was loud, obnoxious, selfish and idiotic. He was so loud that I bet the players heard him as well. His wife was so embarrassed, everyone was looking at him and thinking the same thing I was.

Reactions: Metis
1 - 20 of 239 Posts