Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Gasquet/Wawrinka match is the prime one for an upset. I think it's Cilic/Nole - another big server, but one with GS winner experience.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I think Wawrinka/Gasquet is the second most NID after Murray/Pospisil.

Seriously, what has Gasquet got that Stan doesn't?

·
Registered
11,858 Posts

knowledge of how to play on grass.

Stan should win still but it'll be very dicey.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
For me the order of 'most likely upset' is:

Gasquet over Wawrinka
Simon over Federer

Cilic over Djokovic

Pospisil over Murray.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Consistency and he's a more natural grass courter. It's on Stan's racquet, but it isn't a guarantee he'll play well.

I say this match and Cilic-Novak are both possible upsets. Fed and Murray have been playing the best so far this tournament.

·
|
15,334 Posts
Cilic is virtually the favorite.
Last year Cilic was up 2 sets to 1 over Djokovic at Wimbledon.
Now Cilic is defending US Open champ and more confident.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Cilic is virtually the favorite.
Last year Cilic was up 2 sets to 1 over Djokovic at Wimbledon.
Now Cilic is defending US Open champ and more confident.
Its a good bet on Cilic. Bookmakers will never put him as favourite.

Everywhere Djokovic is favourite by far. It represent chance for punters to bet against him.

During Roger & Rafa's time those upset odds never won.

·
|
15,334 Posts
^ Yep, Djokovic has been favorite at 5 of the last 6 slam events (2014 RG Rafa was favorite I think, but can't remember really), and won only 2 of them.

·
Registered
736 Posts
P-mac's right.

Not sure some of you actually watched the Djoker-Anderson match.

Anderson was truly UNREAL. Something like 40 aces, but that's not even doing proper justice to the level of his serving overall in the match. He was serving 120 mph 2nd serves that weren't aces but might as well have been, because his FH was UNREAL, and he'd just finish the point with the next shot, off of what was understandably, a typically meek return from Djokovic. Kevins ROS was so, so good as well. He was very smart to be so aggressive with it throughout the entire match, and I'm surprised other players don't take the same tack more often vs Nole.

I just think that based on Cilics level recently, this match will feel like a breath of fresh air for Novak compared to what he dealt with against Anderson. Not saying that Cilic cant play as well as Anderson did, he's certainly a better player than Kevin, but it would require Cilic to GOAT even more than he did vs Djokovic here last year, because Andersons level was a clear step above that particular Cilic performance.

Not to mention that Djokovic typically plays lights-out the match following a 5-set struggle (SF to Final not included) assumedly because psychologically, he sort of loosens up, perhaps because he knows that he's just not going to win a big event if he has to play B2B wars prior to reaching the Final..

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have to agree Anderson was amazing in those first two sets. He has never moved like that before. Serving great. Thats why he took the first two sets.Credit to Novak for showing his metal. Raising his level. And coming through.

·
|
15,334 Posts
Djokovic only won the 5th set because Anderson served double-faults.
He's relying on players to hand him victories, and that's why he's got no hope of winning Wimbledon.
He relied on Rafa and Murray to hand him victories at Roland Garros too, but no hope vs Wawrinka.
We continue to see why Djokovic only has ONE multiple-slam year, and it was 2011.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
And he's right, Stan isn't playing comfortably, only his serve is holding perfectly, but you know that his serve isn't much reliable. Richard has actually troubled Stan in the past he's much more natural grass courter, meaning he can use the angles and slices to make Stan uncomfortable on grass. Definitely bigger chance of surprise than Djokovic-Cilic for me, CC for Marin is too slow and he isn't playing lights out tennis.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
How people can think that Cilic will be a real threat to Djokovic is beyond me. He lost a set to Kudla in the previous round, the match was competitive.

Gasquet will trouble Wawrinka because he can move on grass properly. Wawrinka will edge it thanks to his greater mental fortitude and better forehand, but I think it will be a 4-setter minimum (I predicted a 5-set win for Wawrinka).

Players that could be upset, in order of likelihood:

1. Wawrinka

2. Federer

3. Djokovic

4. Murray

·
Registered
355 Posts
If Goffin wasn't such a screw up he would've taken Stan at least to 5 or win in 3.
Think Gasquet has his chances, but it will be a tough one for sure.

Simon upsetting Fedex? Really? I mean he played solid against Gael and Tomas, but Roger will out hit him.

Don't see Cilic having any chance against Novak. No matter that he is a Slam champion now, he doesn't play on the level from last year. He barely reached this round with a poor draw and choking along the way.

·
Premium Member
62,010 Posts
Not strange at all. Look at the odds. It's the only match without a very solid favourite. You can at best get 1/2 on Wawrinka, 1/6 on Federer, 1/10 on Djokovic and 1/19 on Murray.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Djokovic only won the 5th set because Anderson served double-faults.
He's relying on players to hand him victories, and that's why he's got no hope of winning Wimbledon.
He relied on Rafa and Murray to hand him victories at Roland Garros too, but no hope vs Wawrinka.
We continue to see why Djokovic only has ONE multiple-slam year, and it was 2011.
You have my vote for the MTF's official mascot/clown jester.

·
|
15,334 Posts
How people can think that Cilic will be a real threat to Djokovic is beyond me. He lost a set to Kudla in the previous round, the match was competitive.
Players lose sets for all kinds of reasons (often complacency, as we know most players are more motivated when they are facing a top 4 player), and it has nothing to do with their next match.
Djokovic had to rely on Anderson's double-faults at 5-5 in 5th set just to reach the QF anyway....so its not like Djokovic is anything special.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Players lose sets for all kinds of reasons (often complacency, as we know most players are more motivated when they are facing a top 4 player).....

Indeed. In this case he lost it because he's playing badly. Not just that round either, he made a mess of the match vs Isner, and was lucky to escape Berankis in 5.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts