Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are there a lot of easy victories here at the Aussie open, more than usual? No real upsets and the favourites aren't having to sweat. Makes for a pretty boring open so far...what do you think?

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
if the top players lost we would complain that the top players are pansies that don't belong up there, I know I would. Maybe not out loud, but I would be thinking it.

We've already had some good matches, and once the good players inevitably face each other, I'm sure the quality will improve.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It's not bad when favourites are winning :shrug: I'd rather have a guy with 7 slams than 7 guys with one

·
Registered
340 Posts
i thought marat and marcos' match last night was pretty entertaining...

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
:confused: I've always thought it's all about variety and being interesting ;)
Variety of styles - yes. And that's what we have now (no one will convince me that Gasquet, Nadal, Gonzalez and Federer for example play the same tennis). Besides, new guys are becoming part of the mix, so it's not that bad, eh?

If you start talking about surprises, look at RG 06. Almost all seeds progressed to at least 2nd round (Roddick :haha:)

Oh, Murray lost. That was kind of a surprise here

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
It's not bad when favourites are winning :shrug: I'd rather have a guy with 7 slams than 7 guys with one
I totally disagree. Tennis is interesting when you have several contenders (with all of them actually having a great chance) than just 1 or 2 people who dominate the field. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I totally disagree. Tennis is interesting when you have several contenders (with all of them actually having a great chance) than just 1 or 2 people who dominate the field. :shrug:
It's (almost) always been like that, with 1-4 contenders on a particular surface, face it. Besides, I did not say anything about dominating, just want to avoiding this shitty period with guys from nowhere going to QF/SF of a Slam where they choked really badly and no one heard of them more

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I like this AO so far. Apart from a couple of easy matches that you are talking about, there were also many 5 setters and thrillers

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
It's (almost) always been like that, with 1-4 contenders on a particular surface, face it. Besides, I did not say anything about dominating, just want to avoiding this shitty period with guys from nowhere going to QF/SF of a Slam where they choked really badly and no one heard of them more
It doesn't matter if it's been the same 2 guys winning all the slams for the past 3 years. Davydenko, Nalbandian, Djokovic, Andy (both of them) are contenders for the slams, but are they winning them? No. :shrug: Say what you want about women's tennis, but there have been 6 different winners since 2005.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Is it just me or are there a lot of easy victories here at the Aussie open, more than usual? No real upsets and the favourites aren't having to sweat. Makes for a pretty boring open so far...what do you think?

Murray's loss was a real upset though.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This thread = "Mug era" killa

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
There have been some good matches.

Either we have a less shocking start to the tournament, with top seeds all moving through.

Or we have a boring conclusion because only a few big players remain and they can win easily vs the players who caused upsets.

I would go with #1 for sure. Tomoroow is a great schedule also.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
It was boring as soon as Haas pulled out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts