Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fog had an MTO and really didn't look at his best, but what a season from Tsitsipas!
Just to put things in perspective: his first ever MD victory came in Shanghai '17. He ended the year with 4-10 record. Now he reaches his third final after Barcelona and Toronto. And no Nadal on the other side of the net this time. Go get 'em, Stef!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The Fog seems to still have some issues since his withdrawal in Beijing.

That being said, win it all Tsitsi! :)

·
Registered
14,075 Posts
Tsitsipas has been really unimpressive in all these results tbh...

he's come back from MP or returning against the match a few times, Monfils DF'ed on MP when they were tied, here Fognini wouldnt accept all his gifts at 5-3 and then tanked the 2nd set...

·
23,063 Posts
Needed to reach finals to gain points for Race so not exactly a fruitful run for Fognini on that point...still, he does seem to have physical issues so I hope he ends the season with minimal damage.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Can't really say this match was a big victory for Tsitsipas since Fognini was really heavily taped up. But, I agree that he's had a fantastic year, and reaching his 3rd final at 20 is pretty damn good. I'd love to see him get it, but I wonder if Gulbis will be too much. Would love to see Stefanos get his first title though. Good for him!

An interesting note: Tsitsipas and Shapovalov met in R1 of the AO. Shapo won the match easily in straight sets. However, early on in the clay season, Tsitsipas took it to Denis in straight sets. I really thought Denis was going to have the year Tsitsipas is having, but he's just not ready for that. I hope in a year or two he will be. But, all the credit must go to Stefanos for the hard work he's done to get this far in such a short time.

Two interesting questions come up: will he earn enough points to make it to London? He said in an interview that this is his goal. Second, next year will be a huge test for him. He will have an enormous amount of points to defend, and the question is, can he do it? We'll see.

Honestly, I don't like the whole point system at all. I find it to be very constricting on players. If you win, you win, and if you lose, you lose. Ah well.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Can't really say this match was a big victory for Tsitsipas since Fognini was really heavily taped up. But, I agree that he's had a fantastic year, and reaching his 3rd final at 20 is pretty damn good. I'd love to see him get it, but I wonder if Gulbis will be too much. Would love to see Stefanos get his first title though. Good for him!

An interesting note: Tsitsipas and Shapovalov met in R1 of the AO. Shapo won the match easily in straight sets. However, early on in the clay season, Tsitsipas took it to Denis in straight sets. I really thought Denis was going to have the year Tsitsipas is having, but he's just not ready for that. I hope in a year or two he will be. But, all the credit must go to Stefanos for the hard work he's done to get this far in such a short time.

Two interesting questions come up: will he earn enough points to make it to London? He said in an interview that this is his goal. Second, next year will be a huge test for him. He will have an enormous amount of points to defend, and the question is, can he do it? We'll see.

Honestly, I don't like the whole point system at all. I find it to be very constricting on players. If you win, you win, and if you lose, you lose. Ah well.
What a stupid comment. That's like saying I wonder if I will be full on this one grain of rice.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Just to put things in perspective: his first ever MD victory came in Shanghai '17. He ended the year with 4-10 record.
Now he reaches his third final after Barcelona and Toronto.

I didn't know he had such an amazing rise. :surprise: 1st win in Shanghai last year?

Even if he doesn't improve his game he'll be quite a player.
If he continues to improve - scary :nerd:

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I didn't know he had such an amazing rise. :surprise: 1st win in Shanghai last year?
1st main draw win. He qualified for several tournaments including RG and Wimbledon, but lost in the very first round. Then he beat Khachanov in Shanghai (lost to Isner in R2) and the next week in Antwerp made the SF defeating Goffin, which was really the turning point, it feels. At the beginning of 2017 he was losing in futures.

His rise was truly meteoric. But that's how it is at this age. A couple months can change everything. May it be the first title of many.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts