He is going for the title, isnt' he? :sport::sport:

·
Registered
7,011 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Re: Stockholm R16 - Gulbis def Shapovalov 6-2 6-4

So sick of this Shapovalov hype. He hasn't done anything to warrant so much hype.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts

I like Denis, but it is nice when Ernests gets a win :)

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts

I like Denis, but it is nice when Ernests gets a win :)
Is there anyone you dislike?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
GOATbis mode is back! :worship: :worship:

He is going for the title, isnt' he? :sport::sport:
With 8 DF's and that beer belly, he sure is...

The draw is as open as it can get - Sock and then probably Isner. But Gulbis was much less impressive than in Zverev roast. Looked quite tired, too. Which is not surprising, since he got through the qualies. So I wouldn't bet my house on him passing any of his future opponents. Definitely not Isner.

As for Shapovalov - more of the same. Consonant with everything we've seen from him recently. No point in expecting any changes this season.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
so happy for ernie. i really feel like he would have been top 100 again at this point if not for the injury at wimbledon derailing him again

on the other side of that i can't believe people thought ernie was an easy draw for shapovalov. ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

The draw is as open as it can get - Sock and then probably Isner. But Gulbis was much less impressive than in Zverev roast. Looked quite tired, too. Which is not surprising, since he got through the qualies. So I wouldn't bet my house on him passing any of his future opponents. Definitely not Isner.

As for Shapovalov - more of the same. Consonant with everything we've seen from him recently. No point in expecting any changes this season.
It's the same beer belly that Federer has. It's always there, it's just how they're built. People were making fun of Gulbis's beer belly at the beginning of 2014, five months later he reached top 10. And he didn't look tired to me (and I watch most of his matches).

I can't see him winning the title though, I agree with you on that one. ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

He's a talented teen who's 30 in the world at 19. I think he's had a good year. I had hoped for a small title, but he's not ready for that yet. Nothing wrong with what he's accomplished this year. To me, he looks really tired. And, yes, a 19 year old can get tired. So, I think he should forget Basel and Paris and just gear up for Milan. That would be a great end to this year. He's done well. More work to do, as I have said so many times, no one should expect a guy at 19 to be a complete player. He's got another 2 years of development before that.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Yeah, he is channeling his inner Nalbandian!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Gulbis winning this would be good for the sport, indeed.

One can hope.

Isner barely scraped by Klahn in 3 TBs. But that guy keeps getting lucky in these lottery type situations.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Shapovalov looked bad vs Polansky. His mom looked pissed in the stands then. Didn't watch the match vs Gulbis, but I can imagine her look yesterday.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
It's the same beer belly that Federer has. It's always there, it's just how they're built. People were making fun of Gulbis's beer belly at the beginning of 2014, five months later he reached top 10.
So did Sock. Now they have a great opportunity to figure out who is built better. :lick:

Isner barely scraped by Klahn in 3 TBs. But that guy keeps getting lucky in these lottery type situations.
If by barely scraped by you mean hit 31 aces without facing a single BP and only getting to deuce on his serve once, then he sure did. I like Gulbis myself, but expecting him to beat Isner in breakers is pretty bold. His best chance is to avoid TB's altogether, which is something that's hard to see at this point. Although regardless, it's counting the chickens before they hatch. Let's wait and see. Maybe the stars will align and he'll face clowning Sock, Sandgren in SF and tanking/injured Fog in F.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts