Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sadly think we will see a lot of tournaments going the same way. No audience = cancelled tournament. I find it hard to see how any ATP tournament can justify taking a huge financial blow unless the players themselves accept a huge cut in prize money - and why should they do that? Sorry for being a wet blanket but if anyone can come up with something positive about the current situation, please do.

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
Tennis players are taking less money at every event, things can be worked out

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tennis players are taking less money at every event, things can be worked out
At every "scheduled" event is more accurate - I'm still unsure of if these events will actually happen (including FO and USO). But thank you for trying to be positive!
What it it looks like now is that smaller 250 tourneys will be cancelled for financial reasons, but possibly two slams will take place because they can finance it via streaming rights/advertising. That's not right. Don't get me wrong - I want to watch tennis! But it would mean skewing the rankings and be unfavourable to up and coming players.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
At every "scheduled" event is more accurate - I'm still unsure of if these events will actually happen (including FO and USO). But thank you for trying to be positive!
What it it looks like now is that smaller 250 tourneys will be cancelled for financial reasons, but possibly two slams will take place because they can finance it via streaming rights/advertising. That's not right. Don't get me wrong - I want to watch tennis! But it would mean skewing the rankings and be unfavourable to up and coming players.
The revised rankings system is based on a resumed tour with a full(ish) calendar.

That's now not going to happen.

It's very possible that Cincinnati and the USO are the only tournaments that will be played from now to the end of the year. If so, then there should be no points awarded, but a continuation of the rankings freeze from IW.

Anything else would be grossly unfair to lower-ranked players and anyone who prioritised clay.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If a challenger in Prague can happen in a few days (and Novak will be on his 283rd week at number 1 on August 24), so can 250s. Stockholm is not needed judging by the new, full schedule the ATP released today.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally agree. Not at all sure how the rankings freeze is constructed but if it unfairly benefits some players it should be extended. And if any or both of the slams will happen I'm sure it will forever be discussed regardless of points.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I totally agree. Not at all sure how the rankings freeze is constructed but if it unfairly benefits some players it should be extended. And if any or both of the slams will happen I'm sure it will forever be discussed regardless of points.
You do realize nobody can drop any points, right? And that some players can even get to keep their points for choosing not to play or being injured.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do realize nobody can drop any points, right? And that some players can even get to keep their points for choosing not to play or being injured.
Like I said I don't fully grasp how it works. But if you can gain points from a fragmented and broken calendar my initial point still stands.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
No, what you want to do is punish those for playing while rewarding those for not playing (or even being injured). Thankfully, the ATP aren't THAT corrupt. Also, they released a new, full schedule today. I see way more Mickey Mouse tournaments than big tournaments.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The revised rankings system is based on a resumed tour with a full(ish) calendar.

That's now not going to happen.

It's very possible that Cincinnati and the USO are the only tournaments that will be played from now to the end of the year. If so, then there should be no points awarded, but a continuation of the rankings freeze from IW.

Anything else would be grossly unfair to lower-ranked players and anyone who prioritised clay.
But... the calendar would have resumed. How could you have sanctioned tournaments and not offer points?

Once the events are done, the rankings will be frozen again since nobody can play.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, what you want to do is punish those for playing while rewarding those for not playing (or even being injured). Thankfully, the ATP aren't THAT corrupt. Also, they released a new, full schedule today. I see way more Mickey Mouse tournaments than big tournaments.
I see, you think I'm just a Federer fan. Well I am, but that wasn't my point at all. It was that these "Mickey Mouse tournaments" as you call them are going to cancel.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Spoken like a true tennis fan.
And it's the players ranked 200-500 that you're so worried about, right? It has nothing to do with Federer's weeks record, right? And yes, I will call them Mickey Mouse tournaments because unlike you, my tennis thoughts are honest. You should try it sometime ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I see, you think I'm just a Federer fan. Well I am, but that wasn't my point at all. It was that these "Mickey Mouse tournaments" as you call them are going to cancel.
The ATP released a new schedule full of Mickey Mouse events. There are also challengers. What more do you want?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
And yes, I will call them Mickey Mouse tournaments because unlike you, my tennis thoughts are honest. You should try it sometime ;)
Yes, we know your tennis thoughts.

You love Djokovic because of your patriotism and have only a superficial interest in tennis. We get it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
But... the calendar would have resumed. How could you have sanctioned tournaments and not offer points?

Once the events are done, the rankings will be frozen again since nobody can play.
Because there would be no tour in that case, just two isolated events.

And because points won't be dropping from other tournaments, then those players who do well against the depleted field at the USO will have an artificially high number of points. And there won't be a chance for other players to balance that out on other surfaces.

So if there is no tour, just this little island in Queens, then there should be no points. That's only fair.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I first became a fan of Novak because he destroyed Federer and Nadal and I liked his playing style the most, plus he is a true athlete who plays athletic points. And sorry to (again) disappoint you, but I have 0% Serbian in my blood. I also do acknowledge that I would not watch tennis much once Novak retires. See? This is called being honest, which is something you can't do because you're fake.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because there would be no tour in that case, just two isolated events.

And because points won't be dropping from other tournaments, then those players who do well against the depleted field at the USO will have an artificially high number of points. And there won't be a chance for other players to balance that out on other surfaces.

So if there is no tour, just this little island in Queens, then there should be no points. That's only fair.
That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts