Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone catch the 1988 Aussie Open final on ESPN Classics this morning? I had never seen the match so I got up early to watch it. I was amazed...I had never seen Chrissie hit so many errors. Steffi played near perfect tennis for the first set and a half, but she didn't blow Chris off the court with winners as I had suspected. Chris just appeared to be uncharacteristically nervous and was trying to hit the ball as hard as Steffi. I am sure she knew this was her last true chance at a final slam title and she was going to go for it. Chris made an incredible comeback in the second set from 5-1 down to take the match to a tie-break, and she was aided by some nervous errors by Steffi.

It was great fun to watch. Chris, at 33, did not appear to be Steffi's ragdoll as I remembered. In the 1989 Wimbledon semi I recall Steffi blowing Chris away, but in this match I was amazed at Chris's speed and tenacity after she settled down and quit making errors.

In this month's Tennis Magazine Chris asks the question if she could have played the game at today's level. Well, i saw the answer today and it was yes. Surely the game has changed dramatically since Jan 1988, but I saw a Chris that had evolved to try and keep up with Steffi in that match. Chris had to lift her game to increasingly greater heights throughout her career. From the threat of Tracy Austin and a fitter Navratilova in the late 70's to her biggest challenge from the supremely fit Navratilova 82-84 model and on to Steffi in the mid-late 80's. I feel if Chris were a young player today she would be able to compete with Lindsay, Venus, Serena, Jennifer and Monica. I don't think she would have the incredible results she had in the 70's and 80's, but I think she would bag a few slams here and there and the number one ranking off and on as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think Chris is an amazing player, remember when MArtina beat her in the 1978 Wimbly final, everyone said it is the end of Chris Evert and it seems like it for a couple of years but then she always jump back into contention.

I think she can definitely challenge the top if she is 20 years old, she can evolve her game to suit the modern game for sure :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've seen bits of of the match before, and it's a good analysis Mark35, thanks! :) I too share your view about Chris competing in today's tour that she will still have a somewhat successful career.

I was also amazed by the Steffi forehand in that match. It was ON that day, LOL! Also it was a great credit for Chris to not only reach that final but also have given a young Steffi a tough match.

BTW, did you notice how well suited the rebound ace surface was to Chris' game? I think if the Australian Open had left the grass surface sooner she might've had more Australian Open titles.

That of course was also the last grand slam final Chris ever played in, her 34th GS final? The most by any player ever! Wow! :eek:

·
Registered
297 Posts
didn't chris evert give that wimbledonfinal away in 78 according to herself because she was thinking about john lloyd?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ANY great player caould repeat his/her feats at ANY given time, if you change equipments, training methods, food habits, so forth and so on.
Otherwise we should accept that ANY record is beaten by a BETTER player.
Which is not the case.

Or do you think that our generation is more longeve than the Romans because we are...........better?
:)

Not only i do agree with you, than, on Evert, but i think that she'd win much more than "some slams"
She'd win EXACTLY the slams whe won at her time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Irma - I think it was the 1980 Wimbledon Final Chris "gave away" as she said she was in love and did not concentrate. She also did not give Evonne Goolagong enough respect and was made to pay for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris did not give away the 1980 Wimbledon final. Evonne blew her ass off the court. When rain began falling in the middle of the second set Evonne was scorching her 6-1, 3-0. The rain delay gave both women a chance to digest what was happening and of course the dynamics changed upon return to the court. Evonne still held a more determined Evert off 7-6. That day Chris said she had never seen Evonne play a better set and a half. Then suddenly 10 years later in an SI article Chris decides to take all the credit away from Evonne by stating that she had a letdown and gave her the championship. That is total BS. Evonne Goolagong won wimbledon 1980 cause she played incredible tennis, no one gave her anything. I love Chris but that has always PO'ed me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I remember seeing this match and the SF against Chris/Martina.

I hope to God there isn't another indoor final. I found the atmosphere of the '88 final to be boring.

The SF I thought was better. Martina wasn't playing great, but I wonder how she would have done againt Steffi in the final?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts