Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's funny how people like to tag a player with the defition journeyman which basically means someone who is traveling all around the globe to play most of the time lower tournaments just because he enjoys the life of a profesional tennis player or/and traveling. The real journeyman never or rarely stays in his home country and even his continent. He usually choose to play on some "weird funky god knows how there is a tournament" places. Anyway many of the players are still attracted to win points and climb in the ranking so basiclly not all of them should be considered as journeymans and more like vultures. They travel there not just because they enjoy traveling that much but to win easy points and money.
But then there is a small group of players who knew they ain't got much skills but have enough money to afford traveling around the world and maybe just maybe to play some tennis. Stefan Merunka is one of them. He is a classic, classic journeyman the way it should be.

Just see his last year schedule:
22.02.2014 - Iran F1 Futures (Asia) - Lost 3QR (with 1R bye)
03.03.2014 - Ukraine F1 Futures (Europe) - Lost 2QR (With 1R bye)
31.03.2014 - Algeria F1 Futures (Africa) - Lost 1R (pass 3 qualy rounds)
05.04.2014 - Algeria F2 Futures (Africa) - Lost 1R
14.04.2014 - Iran F5 Futures (Asia) - Lost 1R
19.04.2014 - Iran F6 Futures (Asia) - Lost QR2
28.04.2014 - Iran F7 Futures (Asia) - Lost 1R
06.05.2014 - Croatia F8 Futures (Europe) - Lost 1R
13.05.2014 - Tunisia F1 Futures (Europe) - Lost 1R
26.05.2014 - South Africa F1 Futures (Africa)- Lost 1R
02 Jun - South Africa F2 Futures (Africa) - Lost 1R
09 Jun - South Africa F3 Futures (Africa)- Lost 1R
30 Jun - Manta Challenger - Equador (South America) - Lost QR1
19 Jul - Oberstaufen Challenger - Germany (Europe) - Lost QR1
09 Aug - Cordenons Challenger - Italy (Europe) Lost QR2
19 Aug - Gabon F1 Futures (Africa) - Lost 2R (Best achievment of the year !)
26 Aug - Gabon F2 Futures (Africa) - Lost 1R
6 Sep - Istanbul Challenger (Europe) - Lost QR2
13 Sep - Izmir Challenger (Europe) - Lost QR2
20 Sep - Kuala Lumpur ATP 250 - Malaysia (Asia) - Lost QR2
14 Oct - Zimbabwe F1 Futures (Africa) - Lost 1R
21 Oct - Zimbabwe F2 Futures (Africa) - Lost 1R
27 Oct - Reunion Island Challenger - Lost 1R
25 Nov - Tunisia F9 Futures (Africa) - Lost 1R

So last year he travelled all around the globe (4 or 5 continents ) and his best achievment was second round in Gabon. I dont really know his case but it's got to be a rich daddy or something. That's a huge waste of money for sure. There are journeymans and then there is Stefan Merunka.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
It's funny how people like to tag a player with the defition journeyman which basically means someone who is traveling all around the globe to play most of the time lower tournaments just because he enjoys the life of a profesional tennis player or/and traveling. The real journeyman never or rarely stays in his home country and even his continent. He usually choose to play on some "weird funky god knows how there is a tournament" places. Anyway many of the players are still attracted to win points and climb in the ranking so basiclly not all of them should be considered as journeymans and more like vultures. They travel there not just because they enjoy traveling that much but to win easy points and money.
But then there is a small group of players who knew they ain't got much skills but have enough money to afford traveling around the world and maybe just maybe to play some tennis. Stefan Merunka is one of them. He is a classic, classic journeyman the way it should be...

So last year he travelled all around the globe (4 or 5 continents ) and his best achievment was second round in Gabon. I dont really know his case but it's got to be a rich daddy or something. That's a huge waste of money for sure. There are journeymans and then there is Stefan Merunka.
Um no.

Dilettante is the correct term in this case!

I guess English is not your first language, but a journeyman is not literally someone who travels, but a degree of proficiency level in a trade, that is one goes from being an apprentice (futures/challenger) to journeyman (top 100) to master (and one can debate where the cut off for that is but perhaps top 30?).

It is true though that the name originated with a travel connotation back in the middle ages at least - the idea was that once you finished your apprenticeship you'd leave your master and set out to gain wider experience before you could take your mastery.

All the same, got to love this guy's itinerary! Always puzzles me why so many on the challenger circuit stick to the US/Western nations and don't take the chance to see some of the interesting countries and places around...

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
Keep fighting, Stefan.

·
Registered
29,206 Posts
It's J. Groove with money!

·
Registered
74 Posts
He is journeyman, but he is smart too. It's easier to get points in Africa. Only one qualification round or if you are good-you can go to main draw- without qualification. It's not possible in Europe.

·
6,479 Posts
It is a fairly open ended description, a better one would be someone like a Kevin Anderson, who has peaked at Number 15.
Usually Top 30 or 20 players at best, can keep the top guys honest, but no real threat to win anything major.
Many others have a short spike peak, even on the fringe or just in the top 10 briefly, but for the majority of their career they are still just journeymen.
It is used in team sports as someone who is a fringe top player and may play for a lot of clubs etc.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
By my quick calculations (not going through all tourneys but assuming the futures to be 10k), he made $1612.25 USD last year, which is maybe enough to cover one of his flights to Africa.

The weird thing I find is that he travels to the worst places to vulture tourneys and almost always loses in the first round anyways, so gets 0 points. May as well travel around Europe, Australia, SA or even a US roadtrip and see some cool sites if you aren't going to be successful anyway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
More power to him but I personally consider this a waste of time even if he has a rich family whose helping to pay the bills. I would have just gone to school, played collegiate tennis (if he can at that school), and got a job. Futures level isn't meant for a career. If you're not progressing after some time then you should probably consider doing something else professionally.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Must be the hairdo, his opponents can't take a walking artichoke seriously.

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
:lol: Top thread :yeah:

Both will dominate tennis in the 2040's as well.
No, no, 2032 Olympics will probably be my last. 2036 at the absolute latest

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
He hasn't played for a year now.
Has he retired? :(

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yeah, I think he doesn't play anymore.

The ITF site says he was coached by some guy called Salvatore Calvelli, which is a Southern Italian name+surname. I have never heard or read anything about him. The German wikipedia says that some "Martimo Calvelli" is his coach; of course the first name is nonexistant, it would be Martino probably.

I saw he got 19 wild card on the professional circuit, mainly in Bosnia and Germany (although he was born in Germany, but played for Croatia).

Since he did somewhat "good" on the junior circuit, probably he got his chances (he's born in 1994) to get through the main one but since he lost every single match I think he probably hasn't more money or support/WCs to go on and quitted tennis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts