13. Djokovic 60,26%
14. Simon 60,10%
15. del Potro 59,97%
16. Ferrer 59,66%
17. Youzhny 59,46%
18. Nishikori 59,20%
19. Haas 59,08%
20. Hewitt 58,17%

I'm not surprised to see Raonic and Tsonga at the top of this list, as they are poor returners. I guess the server has less pressure and is a bit less likely go for huge serves against Raonic than against a player like Djokovic for example.

Hopefully I didn't make any mistake...

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
How did you make those stats ? and what's the sample ?

I guess Isner and Karlovic would be first if they were in the sample, as players often play safe first serves against them

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I guess Isner and Karlovic would be first if they were in the sample, as players often play safe first serves against them
You just have to go on the ATP website and look how many points they played in the '1st serve return points won' and the '2nd serve return points won' categories, then you have to do a pretty simple calculation. :yeah:

As for the sample, well I picked the 20 active players with the best Grand Slam win-loss record.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
You just have to go on the ATP website and look how many points they played in the '1st serve return points won' and the '2nd serve return points won' categories, then you have to do a pretty simple calculation. :yeah:
well yes :eek: I actually made the same calculation :lol:

it's only that I never paid interest to that stat : my goal was to calculate the total % of points won on return, not to calculate that.

But yes that may be interesting.

Still you didn't say the period you used : carreer stats or only 2015 ?

this is what happens when you have too much free time....
still better than posting on MTF : I did both and I have no doubt which activity was a complete loss of time only fed by addiction, and which one was a well-controlled one nurishing my mind.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
These seem like extremely small margins. They may be statistically significant because of sheer sample size, but in practice (for one match) these won't matter much at all. (I'm not sure if that's what you were implying)

I do agree with your assessment that this could be due to being worse returners, and servers feeling less pressure on their serve.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well yes :eek: I actually made the same calculation :lol:

it's only that I never paid interest to that stat : my goal was to calculate the total % of points won on return, not to calculate that.

But yes that may be interesting.

Still you didn't say the period you used : carreer stats or only 2015 ?

still better than posting on MTF : I did both and I have no doubt which activity was a complete loss of time only fed by addiction, and which one was a well-controlled one nurishing my mind.
Career stats. :yeah:

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Karlovic - 64,27% :eek:
Isner - 62,70%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts