Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, figured I would have a bit of fun with this, and invite you guys on my journey into becoming a recreational tennis player.

Background...

My name is Zach Anderson, I'm 20 (not 23 like my account says:cool:), live in Northern California when I'm not at school at San Diego State University and have never played competitive tennis in my life. I did not play in high school as I played baseball at the same time tennis season was, and have literally never been given a tennis lesson in my life. I became a tennis fan in 2007 and have loved it since. I play with friends, and used to hit a couple times a week because it kept me in shape, and it was an individual sport, etc. Great fun. I'm not bad, completely self taught, and am entering my first USTA NTRP event tomorrow.

The event:
I self-rated on the USTA website at 2.5, very low, and decided screw it, I'm gonna take a shot at 3.5's. I am playing the Antelope Community Tennis USTA NorCal Grand Slam event this weekend in the 3.5 men's singles.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=148393

I play my first match tomorrow afternoon at 2pm against an opponent it looks like hasn't played much either. If I win, I play the #1 seed, lovely. If this goes well, I will continue to play events in SoCal while at school, as I'm excited about this opportunity to get involved with this. I will drop to 3.0s at events that hold singles at that rating level. For not, lets get this started. I'm happy to welcome advice, criticism, and invite all you guys to join this journey I'm beginning that should be a lot of fun. Any questions, comments, anything, fire away! Lets do this!

The draw is below!

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=148393#&&s=7Draws3

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
Best of luck! Do work!

·
6,246 Posts
Never to late, most of the guys I play social and recreational tennis with did not start playing until after they left school.
Most still pick up the skills well though, although professional coaching does help. Usually will require one on one training though once an adult, but should pick it up quickly as I said.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The event:
I self-rated on the USTA website at 2.5, very low, and decided screw it, I'm gonna take a shot at 3.5's. I am playing the Antelope Community Tennis USTA NorCal Grand Slam event this weekend in the 3.5 men's singles.
Uh, I find NTRP ratings in California tend to be accurate (i.e. if the people are rated 3.5, they'll be 3.5 or better) unlike in NYC where people are rated 3.5 yet can't hit decent groundies or serves. But good luck in your tournament.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. Lost my first round match 6-4, 6-7 (4), 7-10. Held 4 match points in the second set and served for it twice, so it was rough. Temperature on court was 117 :lol: Great experience though and look forward to playing again next weekend!

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
That's the spirit :D

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Just an update. Lost my first round match 6-4, 6-7 (4), 7-10. Held 4 match points in the second set and served for it twice, so it was rough. Temperature on court was 117 :lol: Great experience though and look forward to playing again next weekend!
Great score for the first match.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Fair play Zach unlucky first loss, great effort though for first time :yeah:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Sutter Lawn August Classic - TOY 3.0 Start Date: 8/9/2014 End Date: 8/10/2014
NTRP Men's 3.0 Singles (Draw Line - 5)
F Zachary Anderson d. (1) Marc Oriva 6-4; 7-5
SF Zachary Anderson d. (2) ryan mulkin 6-4; 4-6; 1-0(7)
Q Zachary Anderson d. Joel Tochterman 7-5; 6-1

:yeah:

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
Well done, that looked like 2 tough battles in the SF and F.

Now you move up to 3.5 :D

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody I completely forgot to post the result! But yeah, took my first career title in Sacramento this weekend, beat the number 1 3.0 player in NorCal 64 75 in the final! Blew a 5-1 lead in the 2nd, but recovered well :lol: I am moving back to San Diego this weekend, so will actually be playing Southern California sanctioned tournaments for the rest of the year. I am aiming to next play the weekend of September 6 :wavey:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a quick update, getting back to school and work has destroyed my free time. Won't be competing until October or so, so stay tuned until then :wavey:

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
I've been there man, keep working hard though, find a way!

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Just a quick update, getting back to school and work has destroyed my free time. Won't be competing until October or so, so stay tuned until then :wavy:

After learning about your schedule I'm not surprised this had to happen. I wish I could give you some of my spare time!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update time! Finally resuming my career this week at the 69th annual San Diego Metropolitan Tennis Tournament. I played my last tournament at 3.0, but am playing 3.5 this week and plan to remain at this level for a forseeable future. I opened this morning with a 6-1, 6-2 win! I play again tomorrow morning, and should I win, will play next weekend, as it is a 2 weekend event. Here is the draw! Lets get a title :wavey:

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=146958#&&s=7Draws11

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update, took a loss in the R16 1-6, 6-3, 4-6. Tough loss in some nasty heat. First set I won the first game, and then he won 6 on the trot. Just couldnt keep the ball in the court. Second set I thrashed him pretty good. Third set I had a break, lost it, and then got broken to love serving to stay in it at 4-5. He really picked up his game in the third set. Fun weekend though :wavey: Next tournament should be in 2 weeks :wavey:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts