Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: Don’t come to this thread if you don’t want to be spoiled. I repeat, don’t even come here.

I just finished watching the movie, honestly it was horrible, marginally better than Last Jedi but still awful. Disney have destroyed Star Wars, it’s really a shame. There are so many things wrong with this movie. They tried so hard to fix the mess of Last Jedi and everything felt so rushed.

Going to watch Phantom Menance and Jar Jar Binks to clean myself from this utter shit.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Every theater has it, every man and his dog want to see it, crazy scenes. Turks are going mental about it.

Personally I haven't watched a single second of this film series, except those GIFs and stuff like "dark force be with you" gems. What is all the fuss?

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Every theater has it, every man and his dog want to see it, crazy scenes. Turks are going mental about it.

Personally I haven't watched a single second of this film series, except those GIFs and stuff like "dark force be with you" gems. What is all the fuss?
Nothing, really. Just marketing over something basic. The original trilogy is decent but nothing to write home about either. The 2nd trilogy should have killed it all for how awful it was, but use nostalgia and same old formulas, and people will suck it up. Spectacular from a societal POV, poor from a cinematic POV.

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my opinion, the original trilogy was amazing and I enjoyed the prequels for what they were, despite it flaws and they were my all time favourite movies as a kid so nostalgia probably plays a big part. A lot of fun scenes and the lightsaber battles were flashy and entertaining. ROTS has a lot of good memes as well and it was peak era for Star Wars games and toys.

But this sequel trilogy is one of the worst shitshows ever. The standards for this trilogy weren’t even high, as the reviews of TFA showed where it got decent reviews despite being a shitty pathetically safe movie. How could Disney mess up something so simple by producing even worse content for VII and IX. It was totally expected though, you can’t fix Last Jedi and this movie suffered because of it.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,294 Posts
Nothing, really. Just marketing over something basic. The original trilogy is decent but nothing to write home about either. The 2nd trilogy should have killed it all for how awful it was, but use nostalgia and same old formulas, and people will suck it up. Spectacular from a societal POV, poor from a cinematic POV.
I think you do need to take the time factor into account as well. A New Hope was released in 1976. Everything they had the sets, visual effects and animation was top of its class for its time. I dare say that without the success of Star Wars, especially the first two films, cinematic sci-fi would probably lag behind some time (not to say Star Trek and Doctor Who didn't give some platform, but the level of investment doesn't match what was needed for a film let alone a film series).

Alien, Terminator, Bladerunner, and hell even James Bond Moonraker stepped off where Star Wars gave them a platform to be emboldened. No Star Wars and a lot of these wouldn't exist. http://www.forcematerial.com/home/2017/3/1/how-star-wars-inspired-ridley-scotts-alien

·
Premium Member
7,738 Posts
No biggie, actual sci-fi is right around the corner.

:love:

Reactions: MWW

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
In my opinion, the original trilogy was amazing and I enjoyed the prequels for what they were, despite it flaws and they were my all time favourite movies as a kid so nostalgia probably plays a big part. A lot of fun scenes and the lightsaber battles were flashy and entertaining. ROTS has a lot of good memes as well and it was peak era for Star Wars games and toys.

But this sequel trilogy is one of the worst shitshows ever. The standards for this trilogy weren’t even high, as the reviews of TFA showed where it got decent reviews despite being a shitty pathetically safe movie. How could Disney mess up something so simple by producing even worse content for VII and IX. It was totally expected though, you can’t fix Last Jedi and this movie suffered because of it.
I saw the Last Jedi twice
And it was still terrible

Each prequel alone had better moments than, all of 7/8/ and probably 9.

Reactions: Cloren

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
I think you do need to take the time factor into account as well. A New Hope was released in 1976.
No, it was shot in that year but released only in May 1977.
I was just barely 2 years old back then and 2 years later they showed it in my country as well.
As a sci-fi, it may be mediocre, but as a space opera, it became legendary.
Not just about the technical aspects you wrote about, but for the storytelling and the special characters. Lucas in his prime was better than Brian de Palma or equaled Spielberg.

Then again, Disney has its villains too: Darth Iger and "Lumiya" Kennedy. They should have left Stars Wars years ago alone and JJ being made the sole brainstormer of Disney Wars made the story suffered often much more than it deserved to be.
But to each his own, and Disney will pay for their eternal sins they committed against filmmaking and good taste.
They turned completely to the dark side :devilish:

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Didn't expect to see something worse than The Last Jedi, but I think I did. Every decision taken in TROS is basically wrong, I haven't seen film missing so much.
The best thing done after OT trilogy (I haven't played games) is Mandalorian and it's not even that good.

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
I saw 9 and I have to say I loved it.

7 and 8 were terrible. But for whatever reason the actors seem to have gotten some coaching as their acting abilities improved ten fold.

It felt very Star Wars like and the plot made sense and was pretty easy to follow. The nostalgia was pretty immense at the end and it made me nod my head in approval. It felt like an entertaining cinematic experience that Disney could pull off.

My only wish is that 7 and 8 could have been as good as this one. What a waste of two movies.

Reactions: cmchelsea

·
Premium Member
7,738 Posts

7 and 8 were terrible. But for whatever reason the actors seem to have gotten some coaching as their acting abilities improved ten fold.

It felt very Star Wars like and the plot made sense and was pretty easy to follow. The nostalgia was pretty immense at the end and it made me nod my head in approval. It felt like an entertaining cinematic experience that Disney could pull off.

My only wish is that 7 and 8 could have been as good as this one. What a waste of two movies.
I actually liked VII the most, out of this trilogy. It somehow felt like the most 'complete' film, or at least the one which had the most clarity when it comes to the plot.

I really liked the chemistry between Rey and Finn in that one (never cared about Poe as he strikes me as the generic daredevil) and it's really a shame that amongst all the silly plot points of VIII and IX they also decided to keep these two appart for the rest of the trilogy.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts

I've just been to see it earlier today and honestly have similar thoughts about it. Not as good as Empire strikes back or Revenge of the Sith but for me easily the best film out of this trilogy.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I think they did a good job in rectifying many baffling decisions made by Rian Johnson, Kylo and Rey were very well done- even if the story felt rushed, perhaps if they had split this into two movies and we had finished at episode 10 it could have been a stronger ending with more time spent on building the story of Palpatine in a more meaningful way at the end of this long saga.

Reactions: Kowchi

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
I think they did a good job in rectifying many baffling decisions made by Rian Johnson, Kylo and Rey were very well done- even if the story felt rushed, perhaps if they had split this into two movies and we had finished at episode 10 it could have been a stronger ending with more time spent on building the story of Palpatine in a more meaningful way at the end of this long saga.
I figure we are done with spoilers, but Palpatine using lightning on the whole armada of ships was badass. He really felt like a villain and a worthy one at that.

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the movie was ruined the second the decided to bring Palpantine back. They basically singlehandedly undid the whole of Episode 1-6 with Anakin’s story as the chosen one who would end the sith and bring balance to the force and basically make Return of the Jedi pointless. Not only that, it has ruined Episode III as well because the main storyline was Anakin turn to the dark side because he wanted to save his wife and wasn’t aware on how to heal or save lives, so he thought he needed to join the dark side. In this movie however, apparently Rey and Kylo Ren without way less training and guidance than their former Jedi counterparts pre-order 66 were able to heal or save life easily. It simply doesn’t make sense that the Jedi Order or Jedi’s like Obi Wan who underwent rigorous training all their lives weren’t aware of such an important technique and yet Rey/Kylo somehow made them look so easy.

I do agree that this film may have been the best of the sequel, I actually haven’t given much thought on this because all the movies were utter crap in my opinion. I’d say Episode VII is probably the worst and the most disappointing for me. It’s honestly the most forgettable one of the series and the light saber battle they had was by far the worst out all movies. Episode IX did a better but still very unimpressive job in that regard. Harrison Ford’s performance was abysmal too.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
I saw over the holidays. I enjoyed it. Not the best film, but not the worst (that still belongs to Phantom Menace). I probably need to watch it again at some point to get everything out of it, but that probably won't happen in theaters. (I've always had issues going to movies multiple times in theaters)

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
A lot have been said about the movie's flaws (especially regarding earlier films) and I don't disagree with it. Still, I enjoyed the show. I liked Rey and Kylo dynamics developed in recent movies and Rey's doubts about her dark side. Also it was cool to watch the electric Emperor on a big screen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts