Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stanislas Wawrinka Set to Soar After Defeating Federer, Djokovic and Nadal
By Merlisa Lawrence Corbett , Featured Columnist Apr 25, 2014

Stanislas Wawrinka Set to Soar After Defeating Federer, Djokovic and Nadal Claude Paris

Stanislas Wawrinka is ready to take off now.

He's already having the best year of his career. He also leads all players in points earned this season. Now, after clearing three major hurdles, his game could soar even higher.

Wawrinka pulled out of the Portugal Open, which begins April 28. However, he is expected to play in Rome and Madrid. When he returns to the clay he will do so with a little less burden, way more swagger.

Last week, Wawrinka finally shook the Roger Federer monkey off his back. Before defeating the 17-time Grand Slam champion in Monte Carlo, Wawrinka was 1-13 against Federer. With the No. 3 ranking and the Swiss No. 1 designation on the line, Wawrinka beat Federer in a tight three-setter.

Mark J. Terrill
Stanislas Wawrinka and Roger Federer both reach for ball during a doubles match at Indian Wells.
What changed? Wawrinka has long been talented enough to defeat Federer. But up until this year, he never believed.
He does now. You can see it in the fearless way he plays. He powers through groundstrokes with more purpose. He plays the big points better. Most importantly, this year he's taken out the three winningest players on tour.

He defeated Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Federer in crucial matches in big tournaments.

In a post-match interview published by Sports Illustrated, Wawrinka noted his improved confidence against the top players. ”When I go into a match against them, I think I can beat them. I’m on the court to win. ... I’m more consistent and I have better results. The difference is that now I have more trust in myself.”

Even Federer acknowledged Wawrinka's transformation. Prior to the match in Monte Carlo, Federer dismissed his head-to-head advantage over Wawrinka. Quoted by ASAP Sports, Federer stated, "I don't read that much into it. He's a different caliber player now."

Psychologically, beating Federer was probably tougher than taking out Djokovic or Nadal. Federer is a tennis legend. He's also Wawrinka's friend.

You sensed that in the Monte Carlo final. Wawrinka and Federer came out flat and produced some pretty poor play early on.

after they settled, Wawrinka was back to flinging that one-handed backhand freely. Of course, Federer has a mighty sweet one-handed backhand too. However, right now, Wawrinka's is deadlier.
Once eclipsed by Federer's shadow, Wawrinka is ranked higher and playing better than his compatriot. Before winning the Australian Open, Wawrinka was that other Swiss guy. He played Federer's sidekick, tagging along for leftover glory. But after defeating Nadal, Wawrinka took center stage.

All of a sudden, Federer is tagging alongside Wawrinka. The two are playing doubles again. They are taking selfies and it's Wawrinka hanging around for post-tournament media sessions.

Although he has a less than stellar career record on clay, Wawrinka is 4-0 on the surface this year.

The surprise superstar of the season, Wawrinka crashed that exclusive party the so-called Big Four were having on tour. Now it's "Stanimal," the party animal, chowing down on the competition.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2036550-stanislas-wawrinka-set-to-soar-after-defeating-federer-djokovic-and-nadal

·
23,064 Posts
Newsbot 2.0.? :confused:

(I actually like these extra bits of news though...keep it up. :yeah:)

That said coming from Bleacher Report I could see why it is so much fawning -- they were quite excited that they think Stan could win RG or be #1 but I say just let the results speak for themselves.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newsbot 2.0.? :confused:

(I actually like these extra bits of news though...keep it up. :yeah:)

That said coming from Bleacher Report I could see why it is so much fawning -- they were quite excited that they think Stan could win RG or be #1 but I say just let the results speak for themselves.
Far from it. that honor goes to returnace

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Great for the game, but hopefully he doesn't land in Djoko's half in RG.
Don't kid yourself, we all know it's gonna be Fed/Nadal and Stan/Nole.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
It's a shame Feddy Pink vs Stan can't happen again.

It would be ace because Stan could tank the first set to lure Fed fans into a false sense of security, before absolutely demolishing Fed in the next three sets :devil:

·
10,284 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't need to. I'm talking about Warinka and Nadal. And I don't know why you would have any interest in me, but anyway, I don't want a picture of myself exposed to a warinka fan, they are among the most stupid kinds after all.:wavey:
Hahahahaha I am sure you are as good looking as you sound from the things you write :wavey:

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
I don't need to. I'm talking about Warinka and Nadal. And I don't know why you would have any interest in me, but anyway, I don't want a picture of myself exposed to a warinka fan, they are among the most stupid kinds after all.:wavey:
:haha: :superlol:

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
if its not wawrinka then it will be federer. which one would you like in Djoko's half? both gives trouble to Djoko.
Best of 5 and clay isn't good at all for Roger at this stage. Stan has more chance of upsetting Djoko in RG, so I want him in Dull's side.

Besides, if the 4 seeds were to play - the more exciting matches would be:

Dull vs Stan
Djokovic vs Federer

Federer vs Nadull is an abomination. Overrated match-up based on a clay-skewed H2H and heavy match-up issues.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
If Stan starts to tear up the place, depriving players of slams and destroying GOAT debates, the level of tardishness here will go up, and any good vibes for Wawrinka will start turning into vitriolic disgust.

*good for the game* quotes will start dissapearing, and you can expect the following sentences in all of his threads.

"He only won because <insert player here> was clearly exhausted from his semi final" (this will be stan's fault of course)
"He only won because <insert player here> is clearly in decline/injured/worried about his kids
"He only won because it was too windy/hot/cold"

There will be numerous threads about how prime <insert player here> would have destroyed prime Wawrinka.

We will see the term Mugrinka used more often, and finally a new species will evolve, and they will be forever known as Wawrinkatards. Or for those illiterate posters, just Wawatards.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
It is good for the game if Wawrinka can go to SF and challenge Nadal and /or Djokovic because Ferrer could not do it as #4 or #3. Murray can do it for sure as well. Let see if Wawrinka will be able to prove himself as a top player in next months.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts