Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
World no. 3 Stanislas Wawrinka has pulled out of the ATP Portugal Open in Oeiras where he was scheduled to play next week.

Wawrinka is currently leading the ATP Race to London points table after winning his first Grand Slam title in Australia in January and followed that up on Sunday with his first Masters Series title in Monte Carlo, where he beat good friend Roger Federer for only the second time in 15 career meetings.

The tournament is scheduled to kick off on Monday 28th April. While it does not appear to injury related, Wawrinka probably wanted to take a break before playing back-to-back Masters in Madrid and Rome.

With Wawrinka pulling out, Canada's Milos Raonic is now expected to be the top seed.

Entry List
1. Raonic, Milos CAN 12
2. Tursunov, Dmitry RUS 30
3. Paire, Benoit FRA 31
4. Andujar, Pablo ESP 35
5. Granollers, Marcel ESP 36
6. Sousa, Joao POR 42
7. Roger-Vasselin, Edouard FRA 43
8. Cuevas, Pablo URU @54
9. Garcia-Lopez, Guillermo ESP 55
10. Kukushkin, Mikhail KAZ 56
11. Berlocq, Carlos ARG 58
12. Montanes, Albert ESP 59
13. Gabashvili, Teymuraz RUS 60
14. Carreno Busta, Pablo ESP 64
15. Giraldo, Santiago COL 65
16. Ebden, Matthew AUS 67
17. Golubev, Andrey KAZ 70

·
Registered
21,395 Posts
In before Ferrer takes a WC.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Was quite surprised to see him committed at all. Good decision and this makes Ferrer's involvement all the more likely.

And btw, does anyone know if a player gets to keep a portion of his appearance fee if he shows up to do publicity for the tournament?

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
No time for MMs

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Ferrer's paradise

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Wasn't there rumours of Murray playing here? Wonder if he could get some confidence from playing this now.
This could make sense too. Barring any health concerns that the public isn't aware of, I'd sign up if I was Murray. He might eat up some appearance money that might have gone Ferrer's way, but Ferrer would still be favorite with Murray involved. I could see them both playing if there's still slots open for two WC's.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
^ I'd imagine the issue about having enough funds was at least partially about having enough to attract a big fish to bring in spectators/TV viewers. :shrug:

Good decision. He has 600 points to defend in Madrid, so he needs to be well rested.
Stan was also physically burned out going into Rome last year after doing the Portugal/Madrid final double and questionable for RG. There'd have to be a lot of money on the table to even consider returning to Portugal this year after winning MC with last year's clay season fresh in his mind.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Smart.

I'm curious to see how Wawrinka does in Madrid - in theory, it's the clay event best suited to his game. If he's acclimatised and finds his range, his groundstrokes are going to be very difficult to deal with for anyone.

·
Registered
24,789 Posts
^ I'd imagine the issue about having enough funds was at least partially about having enough to attract a big fish to bring in spectators/TV viewers. :shrug:

Stan was also physically burned out going into Rome last year after doing the Portugal/Madrid final double and questionable for RG. There'd have to be a lot of money on the table to even consider returning to Portugal this year after winning MC with last year's clay season fresh in his mind.
Doubt it.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Yeah, no way Milos stays the #1 seed here. Either Ferrer or Murray will snatch a WC now. Ferrer did it last year after he lost early in Barcelona and Delpo pulled out, and he got to the final (lost to Wawrinka). I'd guess he does it again, although Murray may beat him to it.

·
Your visions will happen
47,120 Posts
Such sensible scheduling from Stan this year

·
23,063 Posts
Kind of a very good decision as he has a Madrid Final to defend (and personally hopefully one up, hehe) although personally disappointed for my fellow Stan supporter sand_wawrinka that he can't be in Portugal this year.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts