1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
haha good fight

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You will find several "40:15" moments in Wawrinka's career. One of those that hurt most was probably too against Djokovic at AO 2013. True, he did not have any match points in this match, but the four break points at 4:4 in the fifth set were almost like match points. Another one was the WTF seminfinal against Federer, where he had 4 match points of which 3 on his own serve at 5-4 in the third set.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will find several "40:15" moments in Wawrinka's career. One of those that hurt most was probably too against Djokovic at AO 2013. True, he did not have any match points in this match, but the four break points at 4:4 in the fifth set were almost like match points. Another one was the WTF seminfinal against Federer, where he had 4 match points of which 3 on his own serve at 5-4 in the third set.
The AO match doesn't fall in this category, but I agree about the World Tour Finals semifinal. Pure choke.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Go and re-watch the game at 4:4 in the fifth set. Wawrinka, who otherwise played phenomenal tennis completely fails the first three BPs, although he gets two second serves. On the first, he plays an awful return on the T-line after a weak second serve. The next two he nets from comfortable situations without being under any pressure. On the fourth, he actually hits a return winner, that the linesman gives out, but he does not challenge, which is an epic mental fail in such a situation. Ok, these were not match points, and Djokovic could still have broken back, but the choking was clearly on a higher level than Federer's 40:15, where he actually did'n't make any simple mistakes.

·
Banned
22,779 Posts
The AO match doesn't fall in this category, but I agree about the World Tour Finals semifinal. Pure choke.
It does, but for a different situation.

Wawrinka was up *5-4 30-0 in the 2nd set, 2 points from a clear sailings 2-0 set lead, and made 4 straight UE's.

Blinked hard.

·
25,717 Posts
I'm still pretty salty that Stan hasn't reached an ATP Final...final. Been in SF in 2013-2015 I think, but maybe he had to have at least pushed the 2nd Set in a TB there or keep up his strategy of maintaining in the baseline in the 3rd Set against Fed. Fed was struggling at the baseline at that time from what I remember. The premium of being clutch is crucial if your return game isn't the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts