Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No kidding!

There is no need to explain why he's a tough matchup to Djokovic, since every single match they played in BO5 went to the decider.

I think he's also a very tough matchup for this version of Nadal. Rafa is playing short, his heavy top spin is not nearly as effective as it was in the pass and is heavy attackable. I think he's very prone to be defeated by OHBH guys these days as he was before and unlike guys like Federer or Dimitrov, Wawrinka has the backhand to attack short ball for 3-4 hours without tiring out his deltoid, so he can be a tough matchup even on clay.

Of course, he's also prone to losing to a random mug in every day, but if he can get throught the first week, well, he'll be very dangerous.

Stan the Man is my pick to win RG 2015!

:cool:

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
It's hard to tell with Stan. It could go either way with him. He could have a shock loss to someone random or he could be a dark horse for the title. Hopefully the latter :)

·
29,637 Posts
There's 4 candidates to win it, 2 of them absolute mountains ahead of the other 2, and he's one of the 'other 2'- and the one I'd root for.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
He's always had up and down results. He's only reached the QF of either IW/Miami twice. So I'm not sure if those results will be indicative of how he'll play on clay.

He's far too inconsistent for it to be a safe bet though :lol:

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
It's not out of the book imo. He can benefit from a good week and the rest of the field clowning which has been a constant for the past two weeks. If Wawrinka plays well he can beat anyone on the clay but peak Nadal but that is an utopia right now. He can even beat the guy everyone is saying is unbeatable

·
Registered
596 Posts
I get the feeling Federer is going to win Roland Garros this year.

Assuming he avoids Gulbis along the way! But I can see him taking out Djoker again, probably in the final.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts

Assuming he avoids Gulbis along the way! But I can see him taking out Djoker again, probably in the final.
Not happening. If Fed can't beat the likes of Gulbis then he can't win the FO. However, he choked so badly against Gulbis it wasn't funny. Remember He was 7-6 5-3 40-15 up with two set points to go up two sets. :facepalm:

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
It's hard to tell with Stan. It could go either way with him. He could have a shock loss to someone random or he could be a dark horse for the title. Hopefully the latter :)
I doubt that Stan will ever reach another slam final. He was lucky to win the one he did, especially in the final.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Strong jinx attempt

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
Definitely possible with the right draw. Imagine if there is a Federer - Murray half, neither would reach the final imo and someone like Wawrinka could well take advantage.

As a Djokovic fan I would be pretty terrified if he has to play Stan in the RG final :scared:.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
It depends. You never know with Stan. :) He could go out to Garcia-Lopez in the first round. Or he could turn on his form and roar his way into the final (as long as he doesn't have to face Rafa along the way, because AO final aside, Rafa-on-clay is probably too much for him).

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I doubt that Stan will ever reach another slam final. He was lucky to win the one he did, especially in the final.
He's been QFs or better in 6 of the last 8 Grand Slams, including two SFs and a win. That's putting yourself in the hunt. If he got a good draw and was in form, he's fully capable of getting to another final. (Of course, he could also go out first round. But I'll take inconsistently brilliant over consistently plodding any day.)

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
He's been QFs or better in 6 of the last 8 Grand Slams, including two SFs and a win. That's putting yourself in the hunt. If he got a good draw and was in form, he's fully capable of getting to another final. (Of course, he could also go out first round. But I'll take inconsistently brilliant over consistently plodding any day.)

Stan lost in 1rd at FO last year to Galermo G Lopez. In Madrid he lost to Thiem in 2rd. In Rome he lost to Haas in 3rd. He was so lucky to win MC. :)

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Stan lost in 1rd at FO last year to Galermo G Lopez. In Madrid he lost to Thiem in 2rd. In Rome he lost to Haas in 3rd. He was so lucky to win MC. :)
I just said inconsistently brilliant, didn't I? ;) And hey, MC wasn't anything about luck... he earned that win over Federer by outplaying him, plain and simple.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Not happening. If Fed can't beat the likes of Gulbis then he can't win the FO. However, he choked so badly against Gulbis it wasn't funny. Remember He was 7-6 5-3 40-15 up with two set points to go up two sets. :facepalm:

Do you know that every match is a different ?! Fed did not play for 5 weeks after MC because of his second set of twins. Anyway i do not think FO is Federer' goal after 2011 when he made an attempt to win FO.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I thought the OP would say Dimitrov is the sleeper.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I just said inconsistently brilliant, didn't I? ;) And hey, MC wasn't anything about luck... he earned that win over Federer by outplaying him, plain and simple.

No he was. Fedhad a tough draw and played all matches plus Fed F of IW and QF in Miami,DC and went to play with WC in MC. Wawrinka was in free fall almost everywhere after AO. Fed just help him because he needed Stan for DC.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
No he was. Fedhad a tough draw and played all matches plus Fed F of IW and QF in Miami,DC and went to play with WC in MC. Wawrinka was in free fall almost everywhere after AO. Fed just help him because he needed Stan for DC.
Do people really think the top players throw matches like that, or are you guys just joking/trolling? I've seen that claim with Djokovic as well (he "gave" Wimbledon to Andy because he knew how much it meant to him). It's just joking/trolling, right? Nobody really thinks these guys are giving away M1000s/Slams because they like their opponents?!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts