Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Moraing was serving at 6-1 6-7 3-0, he lost the first point of the game but the umpire announced 15-0. At 40-15 (should've been 30-30), Moraing won the point and the umpire said "game Moraing, 4-0". Only then, Stakhovsky realised what's going on (should've been 40-30), and went to discuss with the umpire, told him exactly what happened in that game, play by play. The guy was not remembering what happened exactly but he said at some point "it's probably the first point of the game", Moraing not remembering as well (or maybe he was, who knows). The umpire called the supervisor, Stakhovsky started laughing (he was actually quite calm, not offensive towards the umpire or anything like that), but they couldn't do anything but continue from 4-0. Sergiy packed his bags and wanted to leave, but was stopped by the umpire asking if he wants a medical timeout or if he has an injury, otherwise they would have to continue. Stakhovsky was like "yes, cramps, legs" (he was not injured at all). Moraing had to come back as well, he was leaving the court. 馃槀
After the physio came, he retired.

You can watch the whole thing here, at about 1:48:00: Stakhovsky vs. Moraing

Moderator | PreviewBot
Would mats not say ?

Registered
The umpire sounds like some guys I鈥檝e played against. They sometimes make 鈥渉onest鈥 mistakes and call the wrong score, but it鈥檚 always in their favor.

Don鈥檛 know the rule here but I鈥檓 guessing that once the umpire calls the score and the game is over, it鈥檚 too late to contest it.

Your visions will happen
Should have stopped the umpire after the very first point of the game to get it right

Walking off the court was a little bitch move 10000% though. Finish the damn match, clown

Registered
Umpire shouldn鈥檛 have made such an error, but Stakhovsky could have noticed earlier I guess

also it seems a bit extreme to quit because of that, not like the match was a foregone conclusion based on the scoreline

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should have stopped the umpire after the very first point of the game to get it right

Walking off the court was a little bitch move 10000% though. Finish the damn match, clown
I would do the same as he did. Can't continue a match in which I know I was robbed. Who knows, he was still in the game and with a break he was back in the match with real chances.

Your visions will happen
I would do the same as he did. Can't continue a match in which I know I was robbed. Who knows, he was still in the game and with a break he was back in the match with real chances.
It is a childish, immature rage quit. Emotional and reactive. Don't co-sign bullshit like that

You said it yourself, the match was not over. We've seen guys come back from 2 breaks down in a set a million times

Stak is just a clown for rage quitting like that. In Stak's position, I would BLAME MYSELF for not correcting the umpire after the first point. If you are a boss and you run shit, you don't allow shit like that to happen, and in the case you slip and do allow it, you don't rage quit like a bitch. Terrible look

Registered
It's weird that nobody notices the wrong score immediately. It's as if nobody was listening to the umpire's announcements (which were made in Czech and in English).

Your visions will happen
Whenever I play junior kids in Men's Open events they always pull this bullshit. I step to them real quick and early in the match and let them know I'm not the one to be fucked with. Always say the score before the serve, leave nothing to chance

Your visions will happen
It's weird that nobody notices the wrong score immediately. It's as if nobody was listening to the umpire's announcements (which were made in Czech and in English).
Yep. That's why I say it is Stakhovsky's fault. If you win the point, you make sure the useless umpire knows what the fucking score is

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a childish, immature rage quit. Emotional and reactive. Don't co-sign bullshit like that

You said it yourself, the match was not over. We've seen guys come back from 2 breaks down in a set a million times

Stak is just a clown for rage quitting like that. In Stak's position, I would BLAME MYSELF for not correcting the umpire after the first point. If you are a boss and you run shit, you don't allow shit like that to happen, and in the case you slip and do allow it, you don't rage quit like a bitch. Terrible look
Ok, I understand your point and you might be right, but you just can't say it's Stakhovsky's fault. It's not his job to keep the score and maybe he was too focused on the game itself to even listen to the umpire. Moraing didn't notice as well. At this level, you don't expect them to make such mistakes.
Also, what's so difficult to use a smartphone and check the video? The match is livestreamed and you can just rewind a little bit back. 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Your visions will happen
Ok, I understand your point and you might be right, but you just can't say it's Stakhovsky's fault. It's not his job to keep the score and maybe he was too focused on the game itself to even listen to the umpire. Moraing didn't notice as well. At this level, you don't expect them to make such mistakes.
Also, what's so difficult to use a smartphone and check the video? The match is livestreamed and you can just rewind a little bit back. 馃う鈥嶁檪锔
If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself

For me, one of my mottos in life is to BLAME YOURSELF FIRST. Things work out much easier that way, things are much clearer that way. It is not Stak's job to call the score, sure, but it is his job to win the match. And in the course of that job, you have to set the umpire straight too, then so be it. The livestream, looking back, nobody got time for that. Stak has to catch it right when it happened. If the umpire is useless, you as the player have to step up. Don't just be passive and say "well it is not my job", fuck that. Take control, take charge.

And then the rage quit was pathetic, you have to admit that

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The livestream, looking back, nobody got time for that.
Hahahahaha. But they have time to talk for 10 minutes. Checking the livestream would take 2 mintues MAX. 馃槀 Give me a break. Everything you said is also bullshit. The chair umpire is there for a reason and he failed, therefore he fucked the match. His fault, not players' fault. I can assure you that because Stakhovsky retired, this clown umpire will never make such mistakes in his entire life (should be relegated to junior level in my opinion).

1 - 20 of 83 Posts